Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: burning rubber smell after uphill drive

Country
    Switzerland
    Thanks

burning rubber smell after uphill drive

Hello,

I took my Mirage to the mountains and had to drive along a dirt road. The ride was really ok; the Mirage pulled me and three passengers with ease, but I had to mostly use first and sometimes second gear. When we arrived on top, we could smell something that reminded me of burned rubber.
    Do you have any ideas what could be the reason? There was no status light other than ECO active during and after the ride.

thx for your thoughts.

All the best

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.8 mpg (US) ... 20.3 km/L ... 4.9 L/100 km ... 57.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    This could be a plastic intake manifold . That's if it's plastic for the Mirage . We have an '08 Yaris sedan that does that , especially when cold and climbing up a steep hill . Very hot days produce it as well . Take it up a hill again to hopefully reproduce the smell and then pull off to the side of the road , pop the hood and place your nose close to the plastic manifold . Let us know of your finding . I thought it was an oil leak when I first smelled it through the vents . Does startle you if not familiar with a new car .

Country
    Switzerland
    Thanks
    I have taken a deep sniff at the intake, but it seems ok. Maybe I need to drive for a longer time.

But thx for the hint, I will keep track of this issue.

All the best

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.8 mpg (US) ... 20.3 km/L ... 4.9 L/100 km ... 57.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Australia
    Thanks
    Wouldn't be the intake as it doesn't hold or heat up much. Exhaust headers would be the Burning smell, they Are made of a high heat Resistant plastic. But I am sure if you push your car too hard they will heat up.

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    Are you sure its Burning Smell? In my case (CVT) its a different smell. After driving, I pulled out the CVT oil gauge and smelled it, the smell is quire similar. I saw an exhaust hose for the CVT but I'm wondering why its coming from the AC vents when the vents are closed?

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    I sometimes smells something chemical out of my air vent as well ... very weird!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Mirage 1.0 manual: 47.5 mpg (US) ... 20.2 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 57.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I also had that issue, when driving cross country in the mountains. I live in abq and we have mountains here. I am going to test it this weekend again and see if I can pinpoint when it happens. Already called the dealer and they have no clue. Mine is a Auto.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Mine did this once or twice when I first got it. I haven't noticed it for a while (although it is colder now). I have a feeling its due to manufacturing oils and residue burning off once everything gets good and warm.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Maybe burnt oil? We have CVT Mirages at work and when I push them hard they smell oil a bit.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    The CVTs have an oil cooler. Burning oil shouldn't be an issue.

Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)