Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Starting a youtube channel

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I never really tear engines apart anymore. I used to tear cores apart all the time when I worked at a wrecker. Now I work in a bubble. I'll try to get some more pics of the pistons. I've been sitting in a skid steer plowing snow for the last 6 hrs. I'll have to compare the bearings to that chart too.
    We finally got winter here again. I'm sure more snow fell overnight than we've had all winter. Just spent the last 6hrs moving snow.
    We are 21C today. Again tomorrow. Wednesday -7C and snow. It's killing my Hickory nut buds. It will leaf no matter what, but I lost the nut crop this year.

When you get to it. Any information appreciated. There's a bunch to be learned in a tear down about the specifics of a Maintenace program.

I'll try to take pics tomorrow. I'll go through my pic tonight and see if I got any. Gonna tear apart one with 528k kms eventually.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Congratulations on reaching 500 subscribers!

That is a lot of work to do quite an accomplishment.

I know from past posts from you and others there is lots of talk about the pistons in terms of the skirt wear and scoring of the cylinder.

Saw you have mentioned before some kind of different material being used in the 2017+.

Based on your teardown would you say this is the limiting factor in the mirage engine?

Slightly worried that my micro trailer towing ways will lead to a premature death of engine.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sunbeam For This Useful Post:

Fummins (02-27-2024),Grumpy Bear (02-27-2024)

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Bear View Post
    We are 21C today. Again tomorrow. Wednesday -7C and snow. It's killing my Hickory nut buds. It will leaf no matter what, but I lost the nut crop this year.

When you get to it. Any information appreciated. There's a bunch to be learned in a tear down about the specifics of a Maintenace program.
    I took a wire wheel to the one on the left. The oil rings are pretty gunked up. The one wiper ring snapped easily when I removed it. Super brittle. I took some video that might(or might not) show up clearer. I'll try to upload it tonight.
    Attachment 26678Attachment 26679Attachment 26680
    Last edited by Fummins; 02-27-2024 at 01:57 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

foama (02-27-2024),Grumpy Bear (02-27-2024)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,177 Times in 679 Posts
    Nice pictures!

Just to mention it, the exceedingly popular Daihatsu/Toyota 3 cylinder engines were a bit similar, and piston slap with worn skirts was an occaisional problem too. Particularly so with cheap mineral-based oil that was changed at the recommended OCI intended for prescribed real synthetic (PAO/ester) oils.
    The later Toyota 1KR series engines in all their variations had a few measures to counter that.
    Those main measures were:

1.) The axis of the crankshaft was been shifted by 8 mm relative to the cylinder axis lines ("desaxage"), thus reducing the lateral component of the force exerted by the piston to the cylinder wall, reducing wear.
    I wonder if our engines have that feature?

2.) Different quality and viscosity engine oils are recommended.
    Officially prescribed oil viscosity for 1KR-FE include 0W20, 5W20, 5W30 for coldest climates,
    10W30 for places where it gets down to -18°C, 20W40 where it gets no colder than -7°C.

3.) Oil nozzles for pistons

See:

https://toyota-club.net/files/faq/19...engine_eng.htm
    Last edited by foama; 02-27-2024 at 02:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sunbeam View Post
    Congratulations on reaching 500 subscribers!

That is a lot of work to do quite an accomplishment.

I know from past posts from you and others there is lots of talk about the pistons in terms of the skirt wear and scoring of the cylinder.

Saw you have mentioned before some kind of different material being used in the 2017+.

Based on your teardown would you say this is the limiting factor in the mirage engine?

Slightly worried that my micro trailer towing ways will lead to a premature death of engine.
    They did have a recall for "engine noise". They'd reflash the ecu to try and prevent them from flooding as easily and washing out the cylinders with gas. I think that was for 2014-2015 only. I'm pretty sure there's posts about 2017+ having different herbs and spices in the pistons and maybe a different coating on the cylinders(not sure about that part). I've still seen 2017's flood and knock too. My previous Mirage(2014 with 30-40k km) had what I thought was piston slap, probably had the same piston skirt wear. I checked the service history on the Mitsu site and found it already had that flooding recall done. I took it in after driving it knocking for a year and they replaced the engine no questions asked. I think flooding these things may cause some damage if it's really flooded.

As for towing...If you're climbing mountain passed trying to do 120-130 towing 2000lbs, that might be a little hard on it. I've never towed with mine but I had it loaded down pretty damn heavy and went on a 1100km trip with it mostly down gravel roads, 200km of it being deactivated and now basically only used by quads, jeeps and the odd Mirage. It's still good, no knocking even despite being swamped and filled with water.

And heres the same washed out section but jeep going the opposite direction(easy way), they came down switch backs, that we went up in the car lol
    Last edited by Fummins; 02-27-2024 at 04:28 PM.

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    I took a wire wheel to the one on the left. The oil rings are pretty gunked up. The one wiper ring snapped easily when I removed it. Super brittle. I took some video that might(or might not) show up clearer. I'll try to upload it tonight.
    Attachment 26678Attachment 26679Attachment 26680
    Not exactly generous with the oil drain back holes, are they? I see they employ passive pin oiling. Not abundantly common.

When you say' Gunked up oil rings do you mean the expander was plugged or mostly plugged?

Yeah, the wafer ring was all gunked up oil shmooh. Crap, I didn't even take a picture before pulling the rings off... I got a crappy video of it. I'll try to take a screen shot of what I saw and see if it shows up.
    Crapy pic of the oil holes, they're round but didn't get a straight shot. Wait til tonight.
    Last edited by Fummins; 02-27-2024 at 05:21 PM.

Attachment 26681
    I looked back in my notes for this car and it's been knocking since last July at 434k kms. I only changed it cause it sound like crap. I've never seen one of these throw a rod or stop running altogether. The worst one was my own engine that spun a main or rod bearing-I forget now.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Grumpy Bear (02-27-2024),inuvik (02-27-2024)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    They did have a recall for "engine noise". They'd reflash the ecu to try and prevent them from flooding as easily and washing out the cylinders with gas. I think that was for 2014-2015 only. I'm pretty sure there's posts about 2017+ having different herbs and spices in the pistons and maybe a different coating on the cylinders(not sure about that part). I've still seen 2017's flood and knock too. My previous Mirage(2014 with 30-40k km) had what I thought was piston slap, probably had the same piston skirt wear. I checked the service history on the Mitsu site and found it already had that flooding recall done. I took it in after driving it knocking for a year and they replaced the engine no questions asked. I think flooding these things may cause some damage if it's really flooded.

As for towing...If you're climbing mountain passed trying to do 120-130 towing 2000lbs, that might be a little hard on it. I've never towed with mine but I had it loaded down pretty damn heavy and went on a 1100km trip with it mostly down gravel roads, 200km of it being deactivated and now basically only used by quads, jeeps and the odd Mirage. It's still good, no knocking even despite being swamped and filled with water.

And heres the same washed out section but jeep going the opposite direction(easy way), they came down switch backs, that we went up in the car lol
    Towing helio HE3K trailer which say 438lbs + whatever is inside.
    Have the obd2 port reader now so going to monitor the estimated engine load and coolant temps while towing to see if they are super duper bad lol.

Also hoping the thicker (10w40) expensive oil and graphene additive when towing will help but who knows.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to sunbeam For This Useful Post:

inuvik (02-27-2024)