Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Done any long trips in your Mirage yet? Comfortable? Good fuel economy?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    well the cross country trip went smoothly, i went to the dealer to get my first oil change for free unfortunately they only covered regular oil and not synthetic. we got great gas millage and range, the "worst" we got was 42mpg in Texas were the speed limit was 80mph for a very long time. (and may i remind you guys this is with me my wife and 620lb of household goods.)

here in Florida i am thoroughly impressed with the a/c system it is able to get very cold relatively quickly and the automatic climate control is awesome i set it and forget it at 75 degrees and could not be more comfortable. also i am seeing around 40mpg in mainly "city" driving thanks to the flat landscape and the warm weather.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 54.7 mpg (US) ... 23.3 km/L ... 4.3 L/100 km ... 65.7 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Marrero For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (05-02-2014),Mikhail (05-02-2014)

Good report - thanks for the update.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Today's the day. Will report back tomorrow.

According to gmaps, 133miles one way. about 2-2.5 hrs one way.

Country
    Switzerland
    Thanks
    I took my Mirage to the east-coast beaches and scored a whopping average of 56 MPG on the 290 miles round trip (according to the MID).
    The mileage steadily dropped from 60 MPG while I was homing in to beach proximity, which I believe was due to the cross winds. I took a relaxed drive and did the usual 55 MPH or 65, when 65 was allowed. As usual, my Mirage was the slowest car on the road, but I believe nobody got too pissed because the highway was not too busy (Actually, is there anybody respecting the posted speed limits in the US?). I had to break hard once, because a speed freak misjudged his trajectory when he cut into my lane; he would have pushed my little ride off the road. Incidentally, a couple of miles later, there as a big accident with tipped over pick-up trucks and two passenger bussed included. From time to time, I had to pull to the fast-lane and let a tail-gating semi truck pass me right hand side (they are making me nervous when they are coming too close). The bright side: I've done the same trip with my Mustang a couple of months back and I had to fill up twice. Now, I have still about half a tank left :-)

The first leg of the drive was very hot and wet (around 90F) and I've tried to play with fan and windows to get the cooling right. In retrospect, I think, I should have given the AC a try, but I was curious as to how much cooling is actually needed and can be done with fan only. The windows are only good, when the speed is below 40 MPG, or they cause too much noise otherwise, even when they are not fully down.

My GPS was sucked to the dash board and was firmly held in place the whole trip.

I drove without break the 3 hours to the beach and have to say that, while, the seat was comfortable, I would have loved a better solution for the legs and arms. I've used my clutching leg as an armrest and put my elbow on my knee/thigh. The right leg hurt after some time, because I have no cruise control and had to maintain some gas level throughout the drive. I then put the leg as far right as possible and could suppress the pedal with a leg angle of more than 120degrees, without having the heel on the floor. I was happy that there were some red lights in the way, which I used to move the legs a little and to relax them. I made extensive use of the cup holder and they worked fine and were accessible.

The way back was in drizzle but without major issues. The same problems with legs and arms were bothering me, of course, but a 15 minutes break at half the distance, helped a lot.

This was also a test run for the planned summer road trip, which will be a 1k+ miles adventure. For me, even 300 miles is a long trip, since my typical commute to work is about 14 miles round trip.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.8 mpg (US) ... 20.3 km/L ... 4.9 L/100 km ... 57.3 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Donut For This Useful Post:

cookiemonster (05-14-2014)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Forgot to post my trip.

Trip info:
    155 mi 2 h 24 min (one way)
    Avg speed: ~70-75mph
    Avg mpg: 36mpg (according to the computer)
    Load: 2 people ~ 440lbs (high approximate)

Comments:
    Comfort = average. At about 1.5 hrs, I would have liked to walk/stretch. However, the entire 2.5 hrs was doable.
    Drive = power was readily available at 5th gear ~ 3.5k rpm. even on hills, 5th was fine
    Steering = would have been better if weight was added during freeway speeds. I feel like I have to constantly "steer" the car just to go straight.
    Noise = Average. Didnt care - was listening to an audiobook on the way up; music on the way down.

Overall:
    Name:  obama-not-bad.jpg
Views: 1109
Size:  20.7 KB

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Done any long trips in your Mirage yet? Comfortable? Good fuel economy?

I gotta say that my mileage wasn't too impressive, although we're talking of a car loaded to the brim with stuff, plus me, wife, and my two kids (a teenager and a young girl), plus I was driving around 70-80 MPH most of the time. I averaged around 37 MPG total, which again, is not shabby but was less than I expected (at least wanted to break the 40 MPG barrier).

Other than that, we're very satisfied with the little mean green machine. We fit an insane amount of stuff in it: Four beach chairs, a big cooler, a basket with random stuff, four foam beach boards, and two beach umbrellas. I kid you not. I only had to remove the back shelf and lower the narrower seat back part.

The Mirage cruised flawlessly. A bit affected by crosswinds sometimes, but very stable, not noisy, and quite comfortable. I'm amazed at this car's seats; they look so simple, but there's some witchcraft that makes them quite good.

All in all, I'm looking forward for my next road trip, road 337 in Texas! Should be a nice test of the car's handling, which some hate, but it reminds me of my old 1989 VW Jetta. DAT BODYROLL.

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Wow. How does it handle when a semi goes by doing 90?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mpatrick70 View Post
    Wow. How does it handle when a semi goes by doing 90?
    LMAO. I have yet to see a semi going 90. The most I've seen them do is 75. Even at those posted speeds, I rarely see them go that fast.

Also, if a semi is overtaking you:

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    [QUOTE=Ares;14313]LMAO. I have yet to see a semi going 90. The most I've seen them do is 75. Even at those posted speeds, I rarely see them go that fast.

Ever been on 285 in the Atlanta? Truck hell! I was driving there everyday back in the 90's. If you weren't going 90, you'd get killed.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    You know what, I may have heard of Atlanta having that kind of reputation...

Either way, if they're going 90, least everyone else should be doing is 95.