Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Done any long trips in your Mirage yet? Comfortable? Good fuel economy?

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Did the rental Mirage have 6-way adjustment on the driver's seat or 4-way adjustment?

I find the cars that lack height adjustment in the seat cushion don't have enough thigh support for me.
    They had 6 way so I could set the seat perfectly for me. My 1st Mirage had 6 way also. Shelby, alas, is only 4 way. I'm going to swap it out for the 6 way.

Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Few months ago I drove from Southern California to Central Idaho with 2 passengers in two days. Hell of a lot of driving but I was fine (tired but fine). Seat worked well, not the best I have been in for long trips but certainly no complaints. It did not leave me sore or anything like that. Its not a quiet car but it was fine for me, and my passengers did not find it too noisy either. I have done similar long drives in more luxurious cars and definately been less fatigued but only moderately so. Overall I am quite pleased that my ''city car'' is perfectly capable of handling the occasional road trip.

One note however: With that much extra weight, at altitude, and with high ambient temps the car was a total dog in terms of acceleration up long hills. Never felt dangerous but definitely made use of the right lane, highest octane available, AC off, and keeping the revs 4k or up. Also never saw a problematic high coolant temp. It hit 220f once and I let off the gas a bit but otherwise the radiator was well up to the conditions. That's with 110+ ambient temps, 3 people and luggage, the longest/ steepest uphill in the Mojave and me being pretty hard on my baby.

TL: DR - The car totally works for the occasional long road trip!

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    I can vouch for that Im an Atlanta native. 285 is scary as hell with crazy fast trucks hauling butt. However it seems like after multiple commutes, you get used to the trucks and crosswinds. Its the lane changing left to right that unnerves me. That blind spot looking over your right shoulder is big.

Country
    United States
    Thanks

The Niagara Falls Buffalo area to Miami and back Even hit an Elks ass but no damage!

2019 Raaage trip from Niagara Falls to Miami Florida and Back!! Three people plus luggage and food supplies all fit fine. Average MPG for trip 41.5 mpg. Only spend 98 dollars (35 gallons) in gas to get to Miami!! But how was the trip and did I make a mistake in taking my smallest car?

The trip down to Florida was great. We stopped overnight in N.C and that made a big difference on enjoyability. The verdict on the way down was we made the right choice in taking the Mirage. Great road feel, plenty of power in the hills, NOT noisy inside the cabin and Super comfortable seats. I used a small pillow as an armrest. Another big factor was the cruise control now standard on all 2019 Mirages.

The trip back to the Falls was a different story to some extent. We decided to drive straight through for the 20.5 hour ride. I had the Little 3 cylinder engine humming for 1200 plus miles. Once again the car had nice power in the hills on VA. I never felt like I couldn't keep up with the fast traffic flow. We averages about 78 mph on the open road. I tried to keep it at 78 due to the ECO turning off over 80. And another note is the tach read 4000 when you hit 80. So I like to get the rpms down to 3800 or less. The main problem was the wind and high speed winding roads. On sharper curves the short Mirage wheelbase became very evident. Confidence in those turns diminished as the car felt iffy and as a result I dropped my speed down to 68 on such turns. The wind caused the most problem. It was super windy and the Mirage was composed but I needed both hands on the wheels in a death grip with full attention on the road to maintain control of the little 1980 pound car. This went on for over 60 miles or so and tired me out. The wind also caused the car to move around and that created a bit of motion sickness when we ended up getting home. Me and my wife both felt weird for a few hours after the ride. As far as passing semis and such the car was fine and I even passed slower drivers with ease. Speed from a stand still isn't overly impressive but once on the road the Mirage has good power to make moves on the road. The trip also broke the engine and clutch in nicely. Oh I also used super unleaded and that gave the engine little bursts of power I've never felt before and 2 more mpg. Let me know if you have any other questions.

The verdict is I would take the Mirage on a trip again but I wouldn't go 20 hours straight as a single driver.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to red For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (04-29-2019)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Dammit, was reading your whole post enjoying it only to find out yours is a manual lol. Great post just wished you would of capped it off with "my CVT did fine". Ahh well. Cheers!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Dammit, was reading your whole post enjoying it only to find out yours is a manual lol. Great post just wished you would of capped it off with "my CVT did fine". Ahh well. Cheers!
    Bro I swear you have bad dreams about the Mirage cvt! Waking up in cold sweats screaming "dont you die on me CVT " clutching the sheets lmao

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Im just walking that fine line of my warranty running out in July being a used buyer. Plus the service records on my ride are either incomplete or the idiot before me didnt take great care of the car, (15k miles past the 30k mile recommended trans fluid change, only 2 reported oil changes in 45k miles of driving). Yeah, Im constantly scanning for research, advice, and message boards such as this. Also its been a MF trying to find a tranny shop willing to find a salvaged CVT7 and install it for me. None of the big name Transmission places, like Maaco will do it. I found one Ma n Pa place that said theyd try but wouldnt quote me a price. Its tough not to be worried considering all the lawsuits and press JATCO and Nissan have been getting lately.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Im just walking that fine line of my warranty running out in July being a used buyer. Plus the service records on my ride are either incomplete or the idiot before me didnt take great care of the car, (15k miles past the 30k mile recommended trans fluid change, only 2 reported oil changes in 45k miles of driving). Yeah, Im constantly scanning for research, advice, and message boards such as this. Also its been a MF trying to find a tranny shop willing to find a salvaged CVT7 and install it for me. None of the big name Transmission places, like Maaco will do it. I found one Ma n Pa place that said theyd try but wouldnt quote me a price. Its tough not to be worried considering all the lawsuits and press JATCO and Nissan have been getting lately.
    What lawsuits has Jatco been hit with?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

I wouldn't worry about it. It's no different than installing a regular automatic. When/if the time comes maybe look for a wrecker that has one or can order one and install it. Might be less hassle if someone else sources the parts out and deals with the warranty. Only thing you should double check is the fluid level and make sure they use cvt fluid not atf. Wouldn't be worried for a long time though. Our highest mileage with the original cvt has 275k kms/170k miles and no problems yet, here's hoping it outlast's the other ones.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (04-29-2019),Rockabilly Manta (04-29-2019)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Yeah Fummins your advice has been a Godsend sir. I cant thank you enough.