Page 29 of 29 FirstFirst ... 19272829

Thread: Other Vehicles You Are (Fo' Real) Contemplating...

I looked at the bolt yesterday. It was weird. I’ve never met someone in a busy parking lot next to a busy patio to look at a car before. The guy was nice enough, but the car was dirty(probably to hide all the scratches), it has 12,000km more than the ad shows(which was listed in March). Seller said that he’s hardly put any miles on it since the battery was replaced 2 summers ago but it has 12k since March… He is trying to sell it at the same time his new ev9 is delivered which he has no clue. Basically, it’s not for sale.

I’ve also never been on a test drive where I didn’t get to drive. Buddy came damn close to changing lanes into an suv on the highway. Never floored it once. It was roomy I guess. Just a strange experience from the get go. Needless to say, I’m not buying it. The undercarriage was more beat up than the Mirage. The interior was as filthy as the exterior.

I appreciated having the Mirage when I went to leave. Some pissed off looking lady walked up the the vehicle next to me and slammed her door into my rh mirror. I was tempted to return the favor. I wasn’t mad that I got door prized, it was the stink eye after the fact lol
    I can’t have nice things.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Grumpy Bear (05-05-2024),Top_Fuel (05-05-2024)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,717 Times in 2,126 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I looked at the bolt yesterday. It was weird.
    Sometimes, it's just good to cure one's curiosity.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Sometimes, it's just good to cure one's curiosity.
    True. But I didn’t find the car weird, just the whole ordeal. I guess I don’t blame the “seller” for not letting me drive. I rolled up in a $1000 beater, but my car was cleaner… It seemed very similar to a Sonic. Lots of leg and headroom. Otherwise I didn’t learn anything I didn’t already know. It was fine though, I didn’t want the car and the guy didn’t want to sell it. I’m good for a few years now.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,441 Times in 1,047 Posts
    I'll have to say, the Bolt doesn't interest me at all. However, the Volt to me REMAINS the best electric, electric/gas, hybrid, plug-in hybrid, whatever you want to call it, vehicle by far. The idea and execution is better than the Prius. The quality might be crap (I don't know), but the vehicle in concept to me is by far the best way to do all this electric / hybrid crap. Other than the cost of replacing the battery pack, I can find no downsides to the Volt. And I don't know anything about replacing the battery. I assume it's expensive, but I really have no idea. The Volt guys might have figured out an inexpensive replacement.

Got the Volt fully charged and suddenly you have a family emergency on the other coast and are forced to drive? No problem, jump in the Volt and GO. Your Volt is sitting in the driveway PLUM DEAD and suddenly you have a family emergency on the other coast and are forced to drive? No problem, jump in the Volt and GO. Can't do that in a Tata. Well you can I guess, but you're going to be a lot longer getting across the country than in a Volt. Especially if your family lives out in the sticks. Far enough out in the sticks and the Tata will only charge at about 7 mph on 125V? Something like that. Show up at the river and have dueling banjos playing in the background and your Volt is PLUM DEAD? Not an issue, no delay, no worries with a Volt. But if you show up at the river in a Tata with dead batteries and hear dueling banjos playing, well ... cinch your belt tighter before you bend over to plug in. (Dramatizations, I know ... but just for giggles).

To this day, if I could find a really good shape Volt, I would be interested.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    I'll have to say, the Bolt doesn't interest me at all. However, the Volt to me REMAINS the best electric, electric/gas, hybrid, plug-in hybrid, whatever you want to call it, vehicle by far. The idea and execution is better than the Prius. The quality might be crap (I don't know), but the vehicle in concept to me is by far the best way to do all this electric / hybrid crap. Other than the cost of replacing the battery pack, I can find no downsides to the Volt. And I don't know anything about replacing the battery. I assume it's expensive, but I really have no idea. The Volt guys might have figured out an inexpensive replacement.

Got the Volt fully charged and suddenly you have a family emergency on the other coast and are forced to drive? No problem, jump in the Volt and GO. Your Volt is sitting in the driveway PLUM DEAD and suddenly you have a family emergency on the other coast and are forced to drive? No problem, jump in the Volt and GO. Can't do that in a Tata. Well you can I guess, but you're going to be a lot longer getting across the country than in a Volt. Especially if your family lives out in the sticks. Far enough out in the sticks and the Tata will only charge at about 7 mph on 125V? Something like that. Show up at the river and have dueling banjos playing in the background and your Volt is PLUM DEAD? Not an issue, no delay, no worries with a Volt. But if you show up at the river in a Tata with dead batteries and hear dueling banjos playing, well ... cinch your belt tighter before you bend over to plug in. (Dramatizations, I know ... but just for giggles).

To this day, if I could find a really good shape Volt, I would be interested.
    My son and daughter-in-law own one and love it. First one I saw up close. Seems well made.

What about a Honda Clarity? I didn't know they seem to work similar to a Volt. I believe the engine is used as a generator unlike other hybrids. I like the idea of the Volt too but don't like those years of GM cars(Daewoo). Here's a bargain, if you ignore the 300k kms lol

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,548 Times in 1,478 Posts
    Interesting thread on the Volt forum about 6 months ago. There's a guy in here that traded his Volt in on a Honda Clarity...

Is the Chevy Volt Worth Buying?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

Fummins (Yesterday)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,830 Times in 2,135 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    I'll have to say, the Bolt doesn't interest me at all. However, the Volt to me REMAINS the best electric, electric/gas, hybrid, plug-in hybrid, whatever you want to call it, vehicle by far. The idea and execution is better than the Prius. The quality might be crap (I don't know), but the vehicle in concept to me is by far the best way to do all this electric / hybrid crap. Other than the cost of replacing the battery pack, I can find no downsides to the Volt.
    I know hybrids are magical in getting better fuel economy, but at the expense of a more complicated design. That's what I admire most about the Mirage - hybrid-level fuel economy (or better) with a simple, straightforward design.

If you want the benefits of electric, just go all-in. You will not miss the oil changes - trying to find the perfect oil & filter, then trying to find them on sale somewhere. No trips to a gas station - laugh as you pass them by. No exhaust, no emissions, no emissions controls, no timing chain, no valve or connecting rod clacking.

I could go on & on!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,441 Times in 1,047 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    I know hybrids are magical in getting better fuel economy, but at the expense of a more complicated design. That's what I admire most about the Mirage - hybrid-level fuel economy (or better) with a simple, straightforward design.
    I agree. M.O.F., I heard or read some scuttlebutt within the last couple days which was talking about ... well, I think it was about the troubles Fisker is having. But within that it mentioned fuel economy of a Prius (and it meant a late model). I was surprised, it was barely better than our Mirages. I don't know the fact about their efficiency, that's just what I read.

Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    If you want the benefits of electric, just go all-in. You will not miss the oil changes - trying to find the perfect oil & filter, then trying to find them on sale somewhere. No trips to a gas station - laugh as you pass them by. No exhaust, no emissions, no emissions controls, no timing chain, no valve or connecting rod clacking.

I could go on & on!
    Personally I would miss gas stations. I find the whole visit there ... romantic. Not male/female kind of romantic. I would guess that 85% of the women out there visit a gas station 85% of the time only when they're running behind going somewhere and they'll run out of gas if they don't stop. That would kill the romance. I go after work most of the time, when I'm in no hurry. I like the whole process, including going in for some coffee, getting a feel for the ambiance in the store. Watching the little kids with their parents. I like checking the earl level. And changing the earl at home? I love it. It gives me a legitimate reason to stay away from The Warden, gives me a feeling of satisfaction when I'm finished. I might feel like I lost a friend if I owned an EV and lost all those things.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

Grumpy Bear (Today)