Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Greetings from Scotland

I don't know if the cores are different between lhd and rhd. If yours looks like it comes out the left side of the dash then I'd assume they're the same. I'll post a pic of a lhd firewall when I get a chance to show where the hoses come out. I'd be suprised if they're different. The fuse box and some of the computers are in the same location on rhd and lhd.
    Crawl under the dash and take a look.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,431 Times in 1,037 Posts
    I'm sorry, I can't provide any useful information to your request. But I can say, it would appear the seller you bought from could use an enthusiastic ass kicking.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    I'm sorry, I can't provide any useful information to your request. But I can say, it would appear the seller you bought from could use an enthusiastic ass kicking.
    Vehicle inspection is the responsibility of the buyer. Seller does not need to disclose anything about the vehicle. I've always disclosed everything when selling a vehicle, but that's because I'm a decent human being. The world would be a boring place if everyone was like me.

Quote Originally Posted by Michal View Post
    Question 3:
    Is there any 'how to' on the forum for replacing the heater core relating to an RHD car?

Thanks,
    Michal
    https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...re-replacement

Not RHD specific, but I think its worth looking at. I would say follow the steps and confirm if the location of screws/nuts/bolts are similarly located except for left/right. The instructions may still help.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Ares For This Useful Post:

Fummins (10-20-2023)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,177 Times in 679 Posts
    Hi everyone,

Due to the warm season, I left the heating problem unresolved.
    A few weeks ago I noticed a very unpleasant smell in the cabin, but could not find the source.
    About a week ago, the radiator fan started running virtually continuously, regardless of the outside temperature.
    The radiator was topped up with water, but during a short drive, the coolant temperature light turned red several times and I noticed a leak (a stain under the car).
    My mechanic said that the heater core is leaking (also into the cabin, hence the smell).

Question 1:
    Are aftermarket heater cores (Thermotec or Nissens) universal for both LHD and RHD cars, or do I need one designed specifically for the RHD version?

Question 2:
    Is the Nissens heater core in any way better than Thermotec and worth the price difference? It costs about £100 more than Thermotec, which is the equivalent of about two hours of a mechanic's work.

Question 3:
    Is there any 'how to' on the forum for replacing the heater core relating to an RHD car?

Thanks,
    Michal

Hi Michal, sorry for not having seen this thread earlier. To answer your questions:

1.) The LHD and RHD heater cores are identical. Dunno about the attached pipes that go through the firewall. The aftermarket cores have removable pipes attached to them, the OEM have all in one piece, making replacement much more difficult and elaborate.

2.) The Nissens product looked better to me than the cheaper one, but I bought the cheaper product two years ago and it is OK.

3.) Look at this thread:
    https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...-core-with-pix

In particular look at the last picture of the first post of the above thread. If the heaterbox in the upper middle area just as the heater pipes look the same, albeit the pedals obviously on the wrong side, you should be OK to replace the core with these cheap aftermarket products.
    Last edited by foama; 10-21-2023 at 04:42 PM.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to foama For This Useful Post:

Fummins (10-21-2023),inuvik (10-22-2023),mohammad (10-26-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ares View Post
    Vehicle inspection is the responsibility of the buyer. Seller does not need to disclose anything about the vehicle. I've always disclosed everything when selling a vehicle, but that's because I'm a decent human being. The world would be a boring place if everyone was like me.
    While I don't disagree with you, when one owns a problematic or turd of a vehicle, that's the only time (IMO) to trade a car in. Dealers screw customers left and right (been behind the scenes for only a short time and I was flabbergasted at how bad it is), so it's fair to stick a dealer back by handing them a polished turd.

Don't sell it to an innocent victim.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

That reminds me, I'm selling my Mirage. One owner, well maintained. Only drove on Sundays to church.....

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

mohammad (10-26-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Throw some wax on it and trade that jewel in.

Country
    Scotland
    Thanks

Question 1:
    Are aftermarket heater cores (Thermotec or Nissens) universal for both LHD and RHD cars, or do I need one designed specifically for the RHD version?
    Update for any RHD owner - I ended up buying an original heater and pipes from a breaker as the piping for RHD is of different shape and length than for LHD version.
    A Nissens heater comes only in LHD version - I asked Nissens UK directly and got an answer: "Sorry we don’t have other pipes for these – which is why we list as LHD only"

Michal

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Michal For This Useful Post:

Fummins (04-11-2024)