Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Plasti dipped my front bumper

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I didn't notice that until now ill give it a look when the weather get better out my way. I am aiming to paint around the rear licence plate at that time as well.

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    guess its only visible from a very low angle

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Nice job. It looks great. The plasti dip is a nice idea.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    so I just tried to plasti dip my bumper, It was harder then I thought it would be I waited to long to get the tape off. I will try again in a couple days and then post some pictures.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yeah I put on a coat waited 20 min then did another coat. Did that 3x after I put the fourth coat I pulled up my tape

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    After an initial failure of an attempt to plastidip my bumper I decided to take another shot today and I couldn't be happier. I dipped the mitsu emblems mirage emblem and mitsubishi word as well as the bum per. It has a few minor flaws noticable if you are within inches and a perfectionist but its fine for now for me.
    The method i used was very short strips of 1.88" masking tape to seal the edges and curve it slightly. Layered from bottom to top to make sure the paint didnt drip through then i used newspaper and junkmail to mask the rest. For the spray i used a sidesweeping motion steady in speed from top to bottom the avoided any layering until the next coat was put on. I left no "dry time" between coats and did probably ten to fifteen very light coats to make it heavy then one final coat that was slow and deliberate. I removed all paper and tape besides the bottom in case of dripping and when i saw drip bubbles form i used my HVAC certification card to smooth them while still wet (a VERY meticulous hand is necessary for that).
    The best tips i can give to anyone wanting to do this is 1. Jack the car up. Getting the bottom of the bumper is problematic at best when ground level.
    2. Use small strips of tape and layer them.
    3. When removing tape go from bottom up and pull it outwads diagonally away from the dip slowly while the plastidip is wet. Don't layer as recommended on the can as that will NOT work for this size of a project unless you are highly skilled with plastidip.
    4. Have some 3m Scotch brand 410 or higher tape on hand if you are going to do emblems.
    5. The front emblem isnt a suface mount like all of the ones on the rear. It actuall rests inside of a cutout so its harder to get out. I used a small flat head precision with newspaper rolled on the car to keep from scratching paint then resumed prying with a long neck regularsize flat head once it was loosened. For the surface mounted emblems i used my hvac certification card to begin breaking them away.
    Before
    Name:  20140323_165024.jpg
Views: 1542
Size:  85.3 KB

After
    Name:  20140413_101531.jpg
Views: 1606
Size:  87.3 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 36.2 mpg (US) ... 15.4 km/L ... 6.5 L/100 km ... 43.5 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dracconus For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (04-13-2014),spork (06-25-2016)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Dracconus...
    if I'm understanding correctly, you removed the front emblem and plasti dipped the indented area?
    It looks good.

Kevo2653
    looks good.

Thanks for this post guys, I'm gonna try this when the weather warms here.

What kind of longevity do you expect from the plasti dip?
    Will weld for beer.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 45.3 mpg (US) ... 19.3 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    No I removed the emblem and dipped it itself then reapplied with the factory glu but after removing it holds for **** hence me recommending the 410 which is what we computer modders use for acrylic windows. You have to step on it to remove it once its on. Its super strong stuff.

As for the longevity this was just a quickie testjob. The wife called me to pick her up about two hours after i did it and as dusty as lubbock is lord only knows if this will hold. Till then i have plastidip on hold. While it looks great from a distance it does seem to be missing the depth a real paintjob has at the edge where white and black meet. It seems up close you can tell it was applied after the white. I think the glossifier may fix that but i havent seen or heard whether it peels off like plastidip so i havent used it yet.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 36.2 mpg (US) ... 15.4 km/L ... 6.5 L/100 km ... 43.5 mpg (Imp)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Dracconus For This Useful Post:

IchabodCrane (04-14-2014)

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    I did that in layers 7 months ago, it still holds up perfectly after 20 machine wash (I'm too lazy to wash by hand, NOT on my daily car). I did the layers, 5 layers in total and waited for 15 mins between layers. No problem at all. Pulling the tape that was tricky but it's done as well, so basically .... no problems!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Mirage 1.0 manual: 47.5 mpg (US) ... 20.2 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 57.0 mpg (Imp)

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to m4v3r1ck For This Useful Post:

IchabodCrane (04-14-2014),MetroMPG (04-14-2014)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Looks pretty good, Dracconus!