Thread: Brodit Phone Holder with power cable fixed above mirror

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks

Brodit Phone Holder with power cable fixed above mirror

I don't like to attach a holder to the windscreen and connect a cable to the 12V socket each time I want to use my navigation.

So I got myself a Brodit Phone Holder with power cable and build it in the Spacestar fixed above the rear view mirror.

Now I only have to stick the Phone into the holder when I want to use the navigation system (Sygic) and pull it out when I'm done. Works Perfectly

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by zefke; 03-11-2014 at 07:39 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Spacestar Invite 1.0 manual: 48.2 mpg (US) ... 20.5 km/L ... 4.9 L/100 km ... 57.8 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to zefke For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (03-11-2014)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I have actually wanted to use an old smartphone to connect to the OBD2 blutooth to an app like Torque Pro.

I didn't know where to put the smartphone, but your idea looks perfect. Only question is how to get power routed there?

Also, it would be a better if we can somehow lower the rearview mirror even half or quarter inch.

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    The Power is not so difficult!

I routed the cable above the roofpart back to the right A-pillar, there you can easily remove the grey cover. I fixed the cable to the antenna cable which is also located there. Near the dash the opening is big enough to push the lighter connector through!! Under the dash I hooked it op to the cigaret lighter plug cables.

I soldered it because the lighter plug connector has a step in it, otherwise you could have used a double fastin-faston to hook up! Or you could have a lighter plug attached and plug it in the socket, but I want to keep the lighter socket free for other stuff....

Moving the rear view mirror is something different, it is glued to the windscreen and I definitely wouldn't want to mess with that I know that the professional glue can be very strong (Loctite) and you can easily damage a windscreen trying to remove it! Once its loose your own glue is probable not so strong and it will keep falling off all the time

It covers the mirror just a little, but the view is still perfect!
    Last edited by zefke; 03-13-2014 at 04:28 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Spacestar Invite 1.0 manual: 48.2 mpg (US) ... 20.5 km/L ... 4.9 L/100 km ... 57.8 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to zefke For This Useful Post:

m4v3r1ck (03-12-2014)

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    Nicely done Paul!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Mirage 1.0 manual: 47.5 mpg (US) ... 20.2 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 57.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    Thanks Marcel,

I'm happy with the setup!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    A professional windshield repair shop might be able to move the mirror for a price.

Wish you had pictures of how you got the power split out of the lighter. I'm not electronically inclined to figure that out.

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ares View Post
    A professional windshield repair shop might be able to move the mirror for a price.
    Could be, but the view you're missing this way is minimal and not a problem for me!

Quote Originally Posted by Ares View Post
    Wish you had pictures of how you got the power split out of the lighter. I'm not electronically inclined to figure that out.
    If you remove the glove box (see my other thread about the interior filter), you can reach the cigaret lighter from behind. You can then remove the connector by pulling it from the lighter.

You have two cables in the connector, one power and one ground (in my case the purple cable was +). Take a Stanley knife and carefully peel of the insulation at some location of both the cables (without cutting the copper wires).

Take a soldering iron and some solder and solder the new Brodit power cables to the lighter cables, some insulating tape around the connections and you're done.. If your not sure, measure which one is +12V and which one is ground... and hook it up to the Brodit plug.

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    By the way, another option to get to some power is the interior light!

It is located in the ceiling and also has a +12V connection.

Altough this is a constant battery plus (+30), it might be an option if someone wants to use a switch or something like that to switch of the power to the holder.