Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: MT: Won't shift, Shifts only when engine off. New Clutch cable.

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,177 Times in 679 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by littlemoule View Post
    @foama, are you seeing clear contradiction in the post above?

And then contradicts himself by saying:

And confirms the self-contradiction by saying:

So this pretty much stands affirmed:

This is getting to be real fun, but then, I don't want to mess with or rearrange a hornets nest...

If that David guy has experience with small car clutch replacement, especially on Japanese style cars, he knows how much work it should be and will know how to do it in a driveway or garage. I think $350 excluding any parts is good and fair. If I replaced someone elses clutch outside of the family, I would quote a similar amount.

Do give him a printout of the FSM clutch section, and give him access to the pdf FSM during the job, just for assistance. Keep him supplied with coffee during the job and ask if you can assist or help any.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to foama For This Useful Post:

littlemoule (08-15-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Strongly consider sending the eBay no name clutch back and buying a brand name clutch. The money you save upfront could really come back to haunt you in the long run, especially if you're paying for labor. If you're on the fence about doing it yourself just do it. As others have said it's an easy job as far as removing transmissions go. It would be a great car to learn on. Everything is lightweight, there's not a bunch of extra garbage to remove, and you could easily cover the cost of any tools needed and better clutch kit by not paying the labor.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MightyMirageMpg For This Useful Post:

01-7700 (08-16-2023),BigMW (08-15-2023),littlemoule (08-15-2023)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by foama View Post
    This is getting to be real fun, but then, I don't want to mess with or rearrange a hornets nest...

If that David guy has experience with small car clutch replacement, especially on Japanese style cars, he knows how much work it should be and will know how to do it in a driveway or garage. I think $350 excluding any parts is good and fair. If I replaced someone elses clutch outside of the family, I would quote a similar amount.

Do give him a printout of the FSM clutch section, and give him access to the pdf FSM during the job, just for assistance. Keep him supplied with coffee during the job and ask if you can assist or help any.
    Well said, yeah I did ask him if he needed my help. He said it's an easy job for him so he doesn't need any help. He also sent me pictures of his tools and previous finished jobs. Nothing fancy there but seems functional.

As for ebay No Name clutch, the issue is I don't have space to do the job even if I knew how to do it. I live in a house as a tenant (for now).

Also, is there a PDF of FSM somewhere?

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Oh look at this, it was foama back in 2014 who asked for it:
    https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...-Manual-Mirage

Foama, where is the FSM?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,569 Times in 1,124 Posts

Clutch Replacement FSM

Here ya go
    Attached Images Attached Images

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

littlemoule (08-15-2023)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Wow thanks a bunch!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by littlemoule View Post
    I never knew pointing out contradiction upsets someone. Maybe it's an American thing but definitely haven't seen that here in Canada.
    Nah it’s just your Eastern-boy bull****. Get royally fukked with your attitude bud.
    Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Basic For This Useful Post:

Fummins (08-16-2023)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Basic View Post
    Nah it’s just your Eastern-boy bull****. Get royally fukked with your attitude bud.
    Not sure if I should cry or laugh about this. Maybe I'll do both lol.
    As for my smart friends, Stay tuned, car gets fixed on Thursday.
    Same For my semi retarded friends. Stay tuned too.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,431 Times in 1,037 Posts
    I thought I could tolerate the labeling of a whole country, and a slap to my face. But I'm not willing to continue receiving it. Plenty of things anyone could say about Canada. But I wouldn't insult the whole damn country, as there are some really damn fine citizens up there. A lot of them on here. And I'm proud to have Canada as a neighbor ... damn proud.

But as far as this particular clutch goes, I'm out.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

Fummins (08-16-2023),Mark (08-16-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,716 Times in 2,125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    I thought I could tolerate the labeling of a whole country, and a slap to my face. But I'm not willing to continue receiving it. Plenty of things anyone could say about Canada. But I wouldn't insult the whole damn country, as there are some really damn fine citizens up there. A lot of them on here. And I'm proud to have Canada as a neighbor ... damn proud.

But as far as this particular clutch goes, I'm out.
    I have been a very active member of this forum since I bought my Mirage in 2017. I honestly feel like many of you are my good friends! I sincerely feel that way. I currently live alone & don't have much of a life beyond my driving lessons & long list of things that keep me busy at home. So I enjoy my visits here each day!

I love my northern, southern, & friends from all over the world on this forum!

I will be the first to admit that America & Americans are not perfect! In many ways, it's even a bit depressing to think about. The last thing I want, however, is my neighbor kicking me when I am feeling down about it.

I also could care less about the clutch job itself. I own a manual, & I hope the repairs go smoothly & aren't very expensive. We all cheer for that here!

It's the slamming of Americans that has rubbed me the wrong way, and the fact that it continues is not something I have not seen this much before on this forum. It's new waters for me! I am not interested in throwing any more fuel on this fire. I may have done that, & I apologize for that, too!

At times Foama does his little digs that make it seem like Germany is great & America sucks, but I don't take great offense to that! He values his mandates! I thank God every day when we don't have them! I see nothing wrong with that, too! I understand where Foama is coming from, & my oldest daughter is now a citizen of a European country. The culture there is a bit different, and I am still learning from that, too!

I regret saying a $1,200 clutch didn't seem real out of line, and I was thinking parts & labor included at the time. I just had all the brake pads, rotors, & one stuck caliper replaced on my Forester two weeks ago. My Forester sits sometimes because of my Mirage ownership. I knew my brakes were a mess (still functional, but sounded horrible/metal on metal even). I also sense my calipers might be stuck.

I replaced the front brake pads/rotors on my Mirage. Not a big deal! I didn't want to take on all 4 brakes on my 2011 Forester. Not having a lift & someone to help me figure what calipers might be sticking was more hassle than I wanted. I paid $810 to have all the brake pads, rotors, & one caliper replaced on my Forester. Most of that was parts. All those parts are way more expensive than a clutch kit, too! Labor was about $256, but I also know he spent an entire Friday morning working on it. He even admitted it was more of a mess than he expected. I don't feel taken at all. I know what the parts cost him, & he needs to make a living. We know each other well. I see him all the time, because he takes care of our driving school cars, too. I actually left my Forester at school & took my driving school car home that day. I take my driving school car home at times to vacuum it or wash it anyways (which I did). I have no guilt in doing that!

I really like my friends from Canada, Germany, & other countries on this forum!

I am wrong about a lot of things in life. I don't mind being told that. Even though America sucks at times in my own mind, I will still stick up for it! American history isn't the most embarrassing history I have ever seen or read about! Despite our downfalls, I am still somewhat proud of it. I am proud of relatives who have served our country, too!

I don't feel the need to bash another country to feel better about my own, and I guess that is the feeling this thread has given me. Thanks for listening me vent somewhat! Life goes on!

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

foama (08-16-2023),Fummins (08-16-2023),inuvik (08-16-2023)