Thread: windshield frame cover popped off due to external wind

Country
    Switzerland
    Thanks

Question windshield frame cover popped off due to external wind

Hello,

it was a little windy yesterday, but apparently my Mirage was shaken around so wildly that the plastic covers from the windshield frame went lose, see photo.

Although, I could push them back into position, it still feels a little bit too early for plastic pieces to fall off. It's furthermore weird, because it did stay on, when I am driving around, which should generate even more vibrations...

What are your thoughts?

Name:  cover_fall_off.jpg
Views: 429
Size:  8.6 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.8 mpg (US) ... 20.3 km/L ... 4.9 L/100 km ... 57.3 mpg (Imp)

That's weird.

You had the windows open, and the strength of the wind coming into the cabin did that?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Switzerland
    Thanks
    nope, I had my car parked with all the windows closed at my workplace.
    When I got back my Mirage at night, I found that these covers were popped off. The car was standing around for 11h or so, and maybe one or two hours in more windy conditions.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.8 mpg (US) ... 20.3 km/L ... 4.9 L/100 km ... 57.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Was it extremely cold out? Low temperatures can pop trim off, just a dab of clear fingernail polish on the tabs should hold it solid enough yet let you pull it off if needed.
    -Billy

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 37.6 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.2 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to RedDE5Spd For This Useful Post:

Donut (03-15-2014)

Country
    Switzerland
    Thanks
    it was a little chilly, yes. I'll try to add some glue, as you suggested. thx a lot.

But thinking about it, I had the car when the temperatures dropped to near zero. Maybe it's the combination of both, temperature and wind...

I'd be extremely surprised if the wind could shake the car enough to do this. Seems to me driving over a pothole would be more of a physical shock to the car than that. I like Red's cold theory more.

Maybe this is what happens when we get cars that were snapped together in the tropics?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    It'd be really hard to determine why it popped off, everything about a car is a contributing factor to trim parts coming loose. Had a brand new '07 G6 and the screw cover on the a-pillar kept opening, ended up using super glue to close it. It was a lease so I wasn't worried about needing to get it open.
    -Billy

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 37.6 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I had this same trim piece come off my car yesterday, except it was on the driver's side A pillar. Happened while I was driving. 70 degrees F in the car, 40 F outside, going 20 mph. Snapped right back in.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 53.1 mpg (US) ... 22.6 km/L ... 4.4 L/100 km ... 63.8 mpg (Imp)