Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Corrosion protection (dealership says aftermarket treatment may void warranty!)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,177 Times in 679 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by t_c_c View Post
    So just as an update to my original post, I did decline the corrosion protection. I am in eastern Canada (all the way East, close to the ocean), and rust is just part of life here. Corrosion protection as a topic seems to bring out more opinions than US politics so it's hard to know what is legit and what is not really. Not sure what I will do yet, but will probably put something on the car eventually.

It is so much better to get it done or to do it yourself when the car is new. If it has rust, for example after the first winter, it takes much more effort. Some will just spray their goo onto rust, but that doesn't help much any more.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to foama For This Useful Post:

MightyMirageMpg (09-07-2023)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mirthmobile View Post
    Where at? I'm in NS and also just bought a 23
    Just next door in NB. I'm curious, what did the dealer tell you about corrosion protection?

Seems like these cars rust first on the rear 1/4 panels near the bottom rear edge where it meets the bumper. We don't have rust like you guys out east do so rust proofing isn't a thing over here.
    I think the 2023's, (probably earlier models too?) started coming out with some rubberized coating sprayed under the car. I think it might just be there to help with sound deadening? Sure won't help with rust imo.
    Krown seems to be the go-to for rust belt people.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Just next door in NB. I'm curious, what did the dealer tell you about corrosion protection?

Nothing because I'm the parts clerk at the dealer I bought it from and I'm also a red seal auto technician

I'll likely be undercoating it myself. IMO in our corner of the world, an undercoating is the only way to keep a vehicle long term if you wanna drive it in the winter.

The trick is finding someone that uses an oil based undercoating, and is thorough enough to get inside door panels and crossmembers and anything else where there's a void that moisture (full of salt) can get. It's one thing to just spray everything, but you want to avoid rubber stuff like brake flex hoses, radiator hoses, vent hoses, belts, weather stripping, etc...I've seen careless undercoating applications ruin weather stripping more times than I can recall.

I recommend Krown, lots of folks have had good luck with it, and I've seen first-hand what older vehicles can look like with regular applications. They also tend to have folks working there that have been doing it a long time and know all the tricks.
    Last edited by mirthmobile; 09-07-2023 at 09:48 PM.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mirthmobile View Post
    Nothing because I'm the parts clerk at the dealer I bought it from and I'm also a red seal auto technician

I'll likely be undercoating it myself. IMO in our corner of the world, an undercoating is the only way to keep a vehicle long term if you wanna drive it in the winter.

The trick is finding someone that uses an oil based undercoating, and is thorough enough to get inside door panels and crossmembers and anything else where there's a void that moisture (full of salt) can get. It's one thing to just spray everything, but you want to avoid rubber stuff like brake flex hoses, radiator hoses, vent hoses, belts, weather stripping, etc...I've seen careless undercoating applications ruin weather stripping more times than I can recall.

I recommend Krown, lots of folks have had good luck with it, and I've seen first-hand what older vehicles can look like with regular applications. They also tend to have folks working there that have been doing it a long time and know all the tricks.
    Excellent! I've also use krown on my other vehicles. I've heard a lot about "corrosion free" lately being an apparently superior product, but I haven't used it myself. Perhaps being a parts clerk you are close enough to the service department to shed light on the warranty concerns raised in my original post -- have you heard anything along these lines?

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Excellent! I've also use krown on my other vehicles. I've heard a lot about "corrosion free" lately being an apparently superior product, but I haven't used it myself. Perhaps being a parts clerk you are close enough to the service department to shed light on the warranty concerns raised in my original post -- have you heard anything along these lines?
    Nope, never.