Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Stupid Antenna Question

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,570 Times in 1,124 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dinton View Post
    Sounds good For now as long as my mom is alive Phoenix will have to do as her healthcare covers everything except about 17 bucks a month ..Man it has been one hell of a trip.We left Tucson and got here and I have a solid job now and the car has about 2400 miles on it now.Had the oil changed last week.Still runs solid.Love the heated seats too as it has been cold here in the morning.

Got my first very non noticeable scratch on one of my front wheels.Ugghh.....would take you awhile to see it but I know it's there which drives me nuts.I have made several 200 mile trips back and forth to Tucson before we settled down and on the highway it drove nice.Any opinions on an early drain and refill of the CVT as far as longevity goes? Or does it really matter?

Anyway,thought I'd post since its been a bit.
    I would just do a CVT drain and fill every 30000 miles / 48000 km and you'll be fine. If you wanted to do the filters I don't think it's necessary to do it every time. Fummins will probably weigh in but I think he's doing just drain and fills mostly.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

Fummins (12-15-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,570 Times in 1,124 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
    Do you think it makes a big difference with the antenna on or taken off for reception especially in the city?
    I haven't tried it but I would think it would effect the reception even in the city, maybe others have removed theirs and can post. Is antenna theft a problem in Ottowa? Asking for a friend.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,177 Times in 679 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    I haven't tried it but I would think it would effect the reception even in the city, maybe others have removed theirs and can post. Is antenna theft a problem in Ottowa? Asking for a friend.
    With the stub "antenna" taken off, the thread and a tiny connector wire within leading to the electronics circuit contained in the base is still active as an antenna. That will suffice for the strongest stations.
    Mine has the OEM stub piece in place, and it is good enough to pick up british BBC Radio4 on 198kHz in central Europe and most of the way up to the Alps.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to foama For This Useful Post:

mohammad (12-11-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,431 Times in 1,037 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dinton View Post
    Sounds good For now as long as my mom is alive Phoenix will have to do as her healthcare covers everything except about 17 bucks a month ..Man it has been one hell of a trip.We left Tucson and got here and I have a solid job now and the car has about 2400 miles on it now.Had the oil changed last week.Still runs solid.Love the heated seats too as it has been cold here in the morning.

Got my first very non noticeable scratch on one of my front wheels.Ugghh.....would take you awhile to see it but I know it's there which drives me nuts.I have made several 200 mile trips back and forth to Tucson before we settled down and on the highway it drove nice.Any opinions on an early drain and refill of the CVT as far as longevity goes? Or does it really matter?

Anyway,thought I'd post since its been a bit.
    Dinton - Good to hear from you. Hope all is going well. Sounds like that at least, it's better. Is Phoenix as bad with crackheads that you still feel the need to remove your antenna? I hope not. There is one thing about living in the southeast. If your mother has allergies, this area may tear her up in the spring. Maybe it's the same in the midwest and Canadia, dunno. But in the spring / late spring, you can be sitting outside on a comfortable day, and if you can see distances, when there's a gust of wind you can see it blow pollen out of the trees. It looks sort of like a dust storm. Some people move here and at first think something's wrong when they start seeing this greenish dust on their cars. If a person has allergies to pollen, then living out in the desert would be mo' bettuh.

I'd like to live out in the desert for at least some of my life. But I'll be honest with you guys. My personal life at the moment (meaning for a few years back and for the forseeable future) SUCKS. I'm married, but have no wife. It's hard to explain, but imagine trying to be married to and trying to have a close personal intimate relationship with a rattlesnake. It is very difficult to do anything about it too. And my sons are at the age where they're about to start their own lives. So, it's about to be just me ... and THE BEAST. If you guys have watched Breaking Bad, picture the scene with Walter and Gus Fring, where Gus is trying to convince Walter to cook for him and Gus explains, "Walter, what does a man do? A man provides ... even when he is not respected, or appreciated." Actually watching that scene on Breaking Bad has probably helped me keep going rather than just fleeing. It's just a tv show, not a psychologist, but that scene rang true with me (not regarding my sons, just regarding The Beast).

Anywho - best of luck to you, and I hope Phoenix is better than the land of enchantment.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

antenna removal

Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post

I haven,t heard any problems in Ottawa as far as theft. But I was thinking if it was off it would be easier to clean snow off without worrying about breaking it off with scaraper.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,431 Times in 1,037 Posts
    I leave mine on in the car all the time, and go through the car warsh. You know, the kind that pulls a car through while you sit in there and fear the front windshield busting. And it seems to be doing just fine.

Unless it gets REAL brittle buried in snow, I think I'd just leave it on, and be careful with one of them there scarapers and just try not to hit it. Heck, should be easy to miss, avoiding it big. That small amount of snow left around the stub-antenna shouldn't kilt nobody.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    I leave mine on in the car all the time, and go through the car warsh. You know, the kind that pulls a car through while you sit in there and fear the front windshield busting. And it seems to be doing just fine.

Unless it gets REAL brittle buried in snow, I think I'd just leave it on, and be careful with one of them there scarapers and just try not to hit it. Heck, should be easy to miss, avoiding it big. That small amount of snow left around the stub-antenna shouldn't kilt nobody.
    True I guess your correct on that. I will just leave it on. Thanks for the info.Was just wondering if you would lose a lot of stations it being off.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    great Thanks