Thread: Tiny overlander

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Tiny overlander

A while back I asked for maintenance advice in preparation for a trip, well today I got back from my trip.
    We did the southern half of the Trans Wisconsin adventure trail. (the TWAT) Its a 50/50 mix of historic paved and very light offroad trails/dirt fire roads. Theres also a handful of river crossings so we waited for a week of no rain to go.

Some of the trails were steep and rutty with loose gravel that I did not expect to make it up, and other parts of the trail were smooth and desolate enough to play rally racer on. The car performed flawlessly and I was most impressed by the ABS systems ability to prevent me from sliding too much on the loose surfaces even at speeds levels well above common sense.

We setup camp in Yellow River state forest in Iowa, which was also the best trails were. I did bottom out a few times and theres portions narrow enough trees drag on your paint, but I didnt get stuck. Overall though the trail difficulty level was a pretty good fit for the Mirage. Another 500+ mile trip in the books, love this little car.

Attached Images Attached Images        

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MightyMirageMpg For This Useful Post:

BigMW (09-03-2023),Fummins (09-04-2023),inuvik (09-03-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,569 Times in 1,124 Posts
    The Mirage proves once again it's up for the challenge! With it's 6.3" of ground clearance and ultra short wheel base it's better than most cars and even some CUV's. Take for example the Subaru Impreza (yes it's all wheel drive) but it only has 5.1" of ground clearance.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

MightyMirageMpg (09-04-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    The Mirage proves once again it's up for the challenge! With it's 6.3" of ground clearance and ultra short wheel base it's better than most cars and even some CUV's. Take for example the Subaru Impreza (yes it's all wheel drive) but it only has 5.1" of ground clearance.
    That's pretty crazy! My car is lowered (eibach springs) but my tires are taller so it probably is close to evening out

Seen on some budget off-road groups people lift cars nearly free by body spacing the top of the strut, usually by using cut up plastic cutting boards. That and some beetle springs could get you places. Well until your single wheel starts spinning. The mirage does really well in snow, not sure if that would translate to mud or not.