Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: High beams not turning off

Country
    Pakistan
    Thanks

Exclamation High beams not turning off

Mirage 2012, 60K KMs driven. High beams came on randomly during the day and are not shutting off. No modifications done to the headlights/bulb etc.

It is not responding to the high beam switch or removing the bus from under the steering wheel (removing the bus switches off parking lights and other functions though). I unplugged the headlight connector to prevent battery from dying. Is this something I can diagnose/fix on my own?

Other symptoms:
    1. The dashboard has the high beam sign on
    2. Auto Stop & Go feature is not functioning properly (it lights up on engine start as normal, but turns off after car goes into drive)

All other electronics are normal: android screen, dashboard lights, digital ac, odometer and its functionality, turn signals, beeping sounds on lock/unlock, beeping alerts on lights left on/doors open etc.

I don't have any experience with the auto start/stop feature on these cars so don't know how that funcitons... Do you have any aftermarket stuff wired installed like an alarm, remote start? I've seen those things sometimes go haywire after a number of years.
    I assume your head unit/stereo isn't stock?
    My first question should have been, what was done to the car last before this started happening?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Does pulling the high beam fuse make them turn off?
    please consider checking out my Mirage related youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6c...IEViRFw/videos

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,827 Times in 2,132 Posts
    Is there anything plugged into the OBD diagnostic port?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,177 Times in 679 Posts
    We had a thread some time ago about these kind of issues. The strangest things happened when slight corrosion developed on a connector/wire harness behind the drivers left foot. Sounds like it could be in this particular case.

Take a look at these threads:

https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...orrosion-issue

https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...amp-corrosion)

Edit: There should be another, more elaborate thread around here somewhere, couldn't find it.
    Last edited by foama; 09-06-2023 at 06:36 AM.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to foama For This Useful Post:

AyAyron (09-06-2023),MightyMirageMpg (09-06-2023),mohammad (09-06-2023)

Country
    Pakistan
    Thanks
    To Fummins: Under my watch, no modifications have been made. However, when I bought it there were some aftermarket installations: 1. head unit (android), 2. reverse camera, 3. led strips parking lights

To mohammad: I pulled the relay (do not have the tweezers for the fuses) and the high beams did not shut off. I actually tried the other relays as well for good measure.
    Name:  Screenshot 2023-09-06 162901.jpg
Views: 415
Size:  88.5 KB

To Eggman: no, nothing plugged in

To foama: thanks for this. I went ahead and pulled out the carpets, no dampness/wetness at the moment. However there is high humidity and salt where I live so will check out if there are any preventative measures I can take.

Further update: I took the car to a mechanic who ran a diagnostic test. The machine showed error codes for immobilization and air bags. However these are fine, so we cleared the codes and re-plugged all the connectors (to check for dampness). It worked, but issue came back after a day. Not sure what to do next. Should I get all the wiring checked?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to AyAyron For This Useful Post:

Fummins (09-06-2023)

That's a weird one. Sounds like a sticking relay somewhere to me. I wonder if clearing the codes temporarily fixed it or if unplugging and plugging in connectors did. Did you check the connectors behind the lh kick panel? You can see here at 12:06-14:00 mark corrosion that made my car do all sorts of crazy things. The dash warning lights would stay on and the starter kept engaging with the key not even in the ignition.

I'd be curious to know what codes were stored and if the immobilizer has anything to do with the highbeam circuit. There is a schematic for a 2015 Mirage floating around here: http://mmc-manuals.ru/index.php?titl...e_view_desktop I don't know if it'd apply to a 2012 or if it shows the auto start/stop stuff in there. Might be worth a look?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Pakistan
    Thanks
    I will take it back for clearing the codes only and see if it fixes+returns

Country
    Pakistan
    Thanks
    How can I verify in the diagrams that the immobilizer wiring connected to headlights?
    Looking at this: http://mmc-manuals.ru/manuals/mirage...f#E.Gr00000200

I'd look at the actual schematic, though I don't know if 2012 will be the same as 2015. 90-70 shows the headlight circuits. It shows two headlight relays, one for high and one for low beams along with 4 fuses for each element.
    http://mmc-manuals.ru/manuals/mirage...0000300-90.pdf