Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Car completely shuts off for some short time after driving and then returns to life

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Car completely shuts off for some short time after driving and then returns to life

Hello,

I have a 2017 Mitsubishi Mirage G4.
    Lately, I have been experiencing the same problem. I drive somewhere and everything seems fine while driving, I park and turn the engine off, and then the car stops responding.
    • I can't lock it because non of the remote key buttons do anything.
    • I can't start the car with my key because when I rotate it nothing happens at all (no dashboard lights, no sounds).

So, it seems like the electric system is completely dead, but then after a couple of minutes or sometime even seconds everything just starts working as usual.

What I checked:
    I only had a chance to check the electrical system in normal working conditions (never when on of these shut offs happened). Battery seems good, voltage is healthy. Alternator is charging the battery well, and there are no drains from the battery when everything is off. I also didn't observe any burned fuses (did continuity test). But I suppose if there was something wrong with the alternator-battery system, the battery would already die.
    I suspect that battery connections can be not functioning properly but visually there is no corrosion.

Short discussion:
    Bad battery contacts would probably explain this intermittent nature of the problem.
    Something clearly makes the circuit open, but it is strange that it lasts only a short time period. Maybe a faulty ignition switch ? But then I don't think that the "remote door locking circuit" is wired through the ignition switch, but it is dead too.

Has anybody experienced the same problem or simply has an idea about where it can originate from ?

Thank you very much!

Update - Loose battery terminal:
    Quote Originally Posted by CHILL View Post
    The problem seems to be solved!
    I checked the connection of the positive terminal, and it did seem to be a bit loose.
    So, I tightened it up, and so far I've had no problems. Somehow the whole electrical system seems to have become more stable. I will be more critical with the battery terminal connections from now on.
    Thank you very much to everyone who answered so quickly!

Last edited by Eggman; 09-14-2023 at 08:54 AM. Reason: Included solution

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,543 Times in 1,475 Posts
    ...everything seems fine while driving, I park and turn the engine off, and then the car stops responding.
    So at the point you can't start the car with the key, does anything electrical work?

Do the headlights still turn on?
    Does the dome light work?
    Can you lock/unlock the car with the buttons on the doors?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,570 Times in 1,124 Posts
    Hello,

I have a 2017 Mitsubishi Mirage G4.
    Lately, I have been experiencing the same problem. I drive somewhere and everything seems fine while driving, I park and turn the engine off, and then the car stops responding.
    • I can't lock it because non of the remote key buttons do anything.
    • I can't start the car with my key because when I rotate it nothing happens at all (no dashboard lights, no sounds).

So, it seems like the electric system is completely dead, but then after a couple of minutes or sometime even seconds everything just starts working as usual.

What I checked:
    I only had a chance to check the electrical system in normal working conditions (never when on of these shut offs happened). Battery seems good, voltage is healthy. Alternator is charging the battery well, and there are no drains from the battery when everything is off. I also didn't observe any burned fuses (did continuity test). But I suppose if there was something wrong with the alternator-battery system, the battery would already die.
    I suspect that battery connections can be not functioning properly but visually there is no corrosion.

Short discussion:
    Bad battery contacts would probably explain this intermittent nature of the problem.
    Something clearly makes the circuit open, but it is strange that it lasts only a short time period. Maybe a faulty ignition switch ? But then I don't think that the "remote door locking circuit" is wired through the ignition switch, but it is dead too.

Has anybody experienced the same problem or simply has an idea about where it can originate from ?

Thank you very much!
    Have you tried replacing the battery in the key? It might be so weak that it's not transmitting.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

I've seen this exact thing. The car would randomly not start. The battery terminals were perfectly clean but both were loose. Snugged them up and problem solved. That is the first thing I'd look at.
    If you can twist them by hand or with a pair of pliers then they're loose.

I assume since you say rotate the key, that you have a regular key ignition. You can break the end of the key off(keyless entry fob/immobilizer) or remove the battery from it and the dash will still light up, radio on,heater work etc.. but the engine won't start.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (09-13-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    So at the point you can't start the car with the key, does anything electrical work?

Do the headlights still turn on?
    Does the dome light work?
    Can you lock/unlock the car with the buttons on the doors?
    No, nothing electrical works.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    Have you tried replacing the battery in the key? It might be so weak that it's not transmitting.
    I don't believe that this is related to the key battery because the car does not respond to manual turning of the key in the ignition either.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I've seen this exact thing. The car would randomly not start. The battery terminals were perfectly clean but both were loose. Snugged them up and problem solved. That is the first thing I'd look at.
    If you can twist them by hand or with a pair of pliers then they're loose.

I assume since you say rotate the key, that you have a regular key ignition. You can break the end of the key off(keyless entry fob/immobilizer) or remove the battery from it and the dash will still light up, radio on,heater work etc.. but the engine won't start.
    I will try snugging them up, thank you for the suggestion.
    I do have regular ignition. Are you suggesting removing the battery from my key? It should still start the car if I turn the key without battery in the ignition, right ?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,570 Times in 1,124 Posts
    I do have regular ignition. Are you suggesting removing the battery from my key? It should still start the car if I turn the key without battery in the ignition, right ?
    No, there is a transponder in the key fob that sends a code to enable the starting of the car.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

It should still start with a dead battery. No, don't remove the battery, I was pointing out that a dead key fob battery shouldn't prevent the car from starting. I think it might if you have the push button start/proximity key though. EDIT: I"ll go out and try removing the battery right now and report back if it starts. I wouldn't bother as it's not your problem.

Battery clamps are both 10mm, don't weld(touch metal with the tool) the positive side to anything. You can pry up on the red cover and get a 1/4 drive socket on it or just a regular wrench. I'd bet a dollar that's your issue. If that's not it check the ground cable from the battery to the strut tower and other end that goes to the transmission. I'm sure it's at the battery side though.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Can confirm. You can pull the battery out of a 2017 key(regular key with keyless entry buttons) and the car will start. So don't bother replacing the battery in the key as it's not the problem.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

inuvik (09-13-2023),Top_Fuel (09-13-2023)