Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mitsubishi Mirage CVT towing.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,570 Times in 1,124 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lock dot 2 View Post
    Do you think $18,100 is a decent price for a 2024 Mitsubishi Mirage ES? It's yellow with 0 addons. It's not arrived at the dealer yet, but that is the cheapest I seen in about 2 years around here.
    If you can buy one at MSRP then I wouldn't wait too much longer, since this is the last model year for the Mirage who knows how many 2024's will actually be imported into the North American market so what's coming this year is it. One of our forum members in Canada just took delivery of the last new manual transmission Mirage available on the continent. There aren't any 2025's coming so consider that in your decision.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Ah! I thought there was 2025 coming. Thanks for informing me!

So, the Kia Rio is gone (it's ending soon), the Spark is gone, the Mirage is ending, and so will the Versa. So no small cars left. Wow..

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2024 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 51.3 mpg (US) ... 21.8 km/L ... 4.6 L/100 km ... 61.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Do you remember when the Mirage was selling for $8,000-$10,000? I been hoping that happens, but I doubt it at this point. I will likely be getting this yellow one in transit.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2024 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 51.3 mpg (US) ... 21.8 km/L ... 4.6 L/100 km ... 61.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    How many miles have you got on yours so far?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,570 Times in 1,124 Posts
    How many miles have you got on yours so far?
    122,000 miles / 196,000 km. Over 8 years now with no issues, just regular maintenance. Going to replace the original spark plugs soon and do a CVT drain and fill at 130,000 miles / 209,000 km.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,717 Times in 2,126 Posts
    Do you remember when the Mirage was selling for $8,000-$10,000? I been hoping that happens, but I doubt it at this point. I will likely be getting this yellow one in transit.
    Probably should have bought two at those prices!

If a person qualified for the three $500 rebates (loyalty, VIP, & military), you have could have bought two brand new 2017 ES manuals for about $15,000 total (approximately $16,500 OTD) @ White Bear Mitsubishi.

Even without the rebates, it would have been about $17,500 (claiming the loyalty rebate for the 2nd one) for two brand new ES manuals.

Those days are long gone, & I don't see them coming back either. I don't even see the ES manual coming back.

Personally, I don't know where they get our low inflation numbers, because most everything is way more expensive? Makes me want to cling to my low-priced Mirage for a very long time!

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mohammad View Post
    You will certainly be fine. I've driven with 500+ lbs of passengers before without issue. The owners manual states that towing is not allowed in North America so this may violate state law, void your insurance, and void your warranty.
    Thankfully, we're nowhere near EU boots on our necks.

Oh, that is not fun. I live in North America, to be exact, in California.. The US's structed state for car stuff.

The state of CA can keep your kid and force you to stand by while the kid gets mutilated but towing is not really regulated. If you think the car can pull it, go for it. Ask 7 to see the golf cart behind the blueberry.

Does it say towing is allowed in other places? Or it just says don't tow anywhere?
    Some manuals say 1000 lb or 450 kg. is OK.

I was just looking, it says the towing capacity in the owners manual is 100 KG, or 200 LB without trailer breaks. And it's 200 KG, or 400 LB with trailer breaks. Sense I would be going slow, it should be perfectly fine then.

I looked at California laws, it doesn't say anything about towing a trailer for the most part with a small car. It just said "Don't tow a 6,000 pound trailer with a 4,000 pound vehicle", so it might be perfectly fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by klroger View Post
    You will be fine. I regularly tow with mine as I pick-up & deliver lawn & garden equipment as part of my business. I think the heaviest thing I've had on my trailer would be garden tractors... Pulls fine with that so you'll be OK with branches & yard waste. (PS.. The people on this site prefer the Curt hitch)

Attachment 25867
    another tractor being moved, about 480 pounds, my all aluminum trailer is about 150 lb. Add me, 150 lb, the junk in my hatch, 100 lb. and I'm at 880 lb, just shy of the Mirage GVWR that allows about 910 lb. total.

And I would weld up my own hitch if I could not buy the Curt. My 2nd. one cost me $119. Those were the days.

And yes, the centerline of the rear tires is technically off the back of the trailer but the tongue weight and strapping ensure safety.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wallythacker For This Useful Post:

inuvik (09-18-2023),OrganicFoxes (09-18-2023)

cvt connoisseur, of sorts OrganicFoxes's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I will be getting a 2024 Mitsubishi Mirage ES with a CVT soon. I'm wondering if it is okay tow a little bit with it.

We have a trailer from Harbor Freight that is about 250 lb. It has some sides on it so it probably knocks it up to around 350 pounds.

All I would be putting in it would be tree branches to take to the dump, or maybe a washing machine or something occasionally.

The maximum weight of the trailer with everything in it probably wouldn't ever exceed 600 lb.

All on city streets and about 5 miles or less.

Do you think it will be fine and not hurt the car if I just accelerate slow around 2500 rpm? And just in general not go over 35-40 MPH?
    Hello lock, I was not expecting to see you here when I logged in today lol, nice surprise.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 47.9 mpg (US) ... 20.4 km/L ... 4.9 L/100 km ... 57.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mohammad View Post
    You will certainly be fine. I've driven with 500+ lbs of passengers before without issue. The owners manual states that towing is not allowed in North America so this may violate state law, void your insurance, and void your warranty.
    Oh, that is not fun. I live in North America, to be exact, in California.. The US's structed state for car stuff.

Does it say towing is allowed in other places? Or it just says don't tow anywhere?
    I was just looking, it says the towing capacity in the owners manual is 100 KG, or 200 LB without trailer breaks. And it's 200 KG, or 400 LB with trailer breaks. Sense I would be going slow, it should be perfectly fine then.

I looked at California laws, it doesn't say anything about towing a trailer for the most part with a small car. It just said "Don't tow a 6,000 pound trailer with a 4,000 pound vehicle", so it might be perfectly fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Probably should have bought two at those prices!

If a person qualified for the three $500 rebates (loyalty, VIP, & military), you have could have bought two brand new 2017 ES manuals for about $15,000 total (approximately $16,500 OTD) @ White Bear Mitsubishi.

Even without the rebates, it would have been about $17,500 (claiming the loyalty rebate for the 2nd one) for two brand new ES manuals.

Those days are long gone, & I don't see them coming back either. I don't even see the ES manual coming back.

Personally, I don't know where they get our low inflation numbers, because most everything is way more expensive? Makes me want to cling to my low-priced Mirage for a very long time!
    I am getting active in amateur radio again only to discover all the goodies I bought during COVID, which were pretty high priced because they allowed you to have access to the outside world. I spent countless hours on HF and 2m SSB which was new to me. Anyhow, the stuff I bought then, priced high because they could has in all cases DOUBLED or TRIPLED if you can GET the stuff. I guess radio makers are well down the line for computer chips needed for tuners and meters and whatnot. If I sold the ham gear I bought in 2020 I'd be ahead 1/2 of a 2017 white bear mitsubishi with loyalty discounts. Wow. That's clear profit I'm talking.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Ya, I was offered $10K for my 2017 which I paid $11k to get. My car only only has 50,000 miles in 6 years.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Wallythacker For This Useful Post:

Dookaughs (10-04-2023)