Page 17 of 21 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Enhancement Requests: how would you improve the Mirage?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I'd settle for the car to be right out of the factory. IE my headlight tucked into he bumper, the exhaust shield and bolts tight, the clutch properly adjusted, and make sure the brakes don't woosh. Other than that... My 17 kicks asprin

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage Es 1.2 manual: 38.7 mpg (US) ... 16.4 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.5 mpg (Imp)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.0 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.4 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I leave my headlights on all the time; they come on when I start the ignition and they go off when I exit the cabin. So I have my instrument cluster illuminated at all times. Sometimes I wish the illumination was a little brighter. If I lived in a perfect world I would have a little better audio than the factory setup (mushy audio and marginal receptivity), but I like the layout of the central control pod so I haven't messed with it. I have summer and winter wheels / tires, both with TPM sensors. I wish there were an easy way to re-initialize the sensors with the CPU.

However, this car has far exceeded my expectations for economy, performance and utility. No regrets.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to clh333 For This Useful Post:

Eggman (01-13-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clh333 View Post
    I leave my headlights on all the time; they come on when I start the ignition and they go off when I exit the cabin. So I have my instrument cluster illuminated at all times. Sometimes I wish the illumination was a little brighter. If I lived in a perfect world I would have a little better audio than the factory setup (mushy audio and marginal receptivity), but I like the layout of the central control pod so I haven't messed with it. I have summer and winter wheels / tires, both with TPM sensors. I wish there were an easy way to re-initialize the sensors with the CPU.

However, this car has far exceeded my expectations for economy, performance and utility. No regrets.
    Nice post.

Have you tried adjusting the intensity of your dash lighting? Not sure if you've maxed it out.

I've thought about leaving my lights on as the manual says but figured it would shorten the life of the bulbs and knock down the fuel economy.

I agree - at first I wasn't sure I'd like driving a Mirage but it's working out better than I thought it would.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Nice post.

Have you tried adjusting the intensity of your dash lighting? Not sure if you've maxed it out.

I've thought about leaving my lights on as the manual says but figured it would shorten the life of the bulbs and knock down the fuel economy.

I agree - at first I wasn't sure I'd like driving a Mirage but it's working out better than I thought it would.
    I can't say much for fuel economy but I just replaced my bulbs for the first time in December which would have been right around 125000 and I always have mine running.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Rkt Ship For This Useful Post:

Eggman (01-13-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Not too shabby. That must be a lot of hours on those bulbs. What did you replace them with?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Not too shabby. That must be a lot of hours on those bulbs. What did you replace them with?
    OSRAM - SilverStar 2.0 H4
    Apparently I got them in Oct so the headlights lasted about 118000 instead

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    foama - have you tried a 2017 year Mirage? The steering is much improved. I believe you saw the thread I posted about it.

Thread: EPS (electric power steering) actively self-centers steering for 2017 (video)

Yes, I have tried the new one, but:

I think it is stupid, unprofessional and pointless to electronically attempt to improve the mechanically inferior steering, with the underlying fundamental problem still remaining untouched, that being the far too high mechanical friction within the steering gear and to a lesser degree, also in the ball joints.
    In the FSM, Mitsubishi states what they consider to be the maximum allowed torque, which is multiple times over anything I, and most other manufacturers manuals, would call an acceptable level.

You just can beat the laws of physics. Its like taking ibuprofen regularly instead of going to the dentist. The root problem needs to be solved, messing with symptoms is not a cure.
    Last edited by foama; 01-14-2017 at 06:26 AM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Hey MetroMPG - I would ask for improved fuel economy in any way, shape, or form.

That is this what this car does best. I would like to see Mitsubishi maximize that.

What about manual steering? How did we ever manage...

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Besides the obvious stiffer torsion beam and 6th gear..

Larger sunvisors or extendable ones
    Padded cup holders and cubby
    Better sound deadener on firewall

But what's funny is... in my opinion what would be best for the mirage is LESS options.

Stripped down straight up bare bones Meiser edition. No a/c, keyless entry, radio, manual rack, stationary rear windows... whatever you got to do to cut 2-3k off the price.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to MightyMirageMpg For This Useful Post:

poorman1 (01-15-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Hey MetroMPG - I would ask for improved fuel economy in any way, shape, or form.

That is this what this car does best. I would like to see Mitsubishi maximize that.

What about manual steering? How did we ever manage...
    I did bring up to the owners son that Mitsubishi should do a taller 5th gear or drop a very tall 6th gear in while I was at the dealer.
    He said he would bring it up to Mitsubishi.
    Imagine with 6th gear this thing could be pushing 50 city, 56+ hwy.
    Imagine the looks on Prius owners faces

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage Es 1.2 manual: 38.7 mpg (US) ... 16.4 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.5 mpg (Imp)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.0 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.4 mpg (Imp)