Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 179

Thread: Enhancement Requests: how would you improve the Mirage?

  1. #21
    Senior Member Donut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    Country
    Switzerland
    Posts
    234
    Thanks
    78
    Thanked 45 Times in 30 Posts
    btw, did we mention an optional tow bar?


        __________________________________________

        click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.8 mpg (US) ... 20.3 km/L ... 4.9 L/100 km ... 57.3 mpg (Imp)


  2. #22
    Member Bogeyman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Somewhere in the hills
    Country
    Philippines
    Posts
    56
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Do note that we get vanity mirrors for both driver and passenger side on the Philippine-spec Mirage sedan.

    I'd probably throw in telescopic steering adjustment. And more airbags, probably (we only get two). And an extra cabin light. Plus a better-sounding horn, for Pete's sake. I mean, how hard can it be to include a nice little Stebel Nautilus as standard equipment, at the very least?
    Last edited by Bogeyman; 03-25-2014 at 02:25 AM.
    Don't knock drunk guys in bars; it means they're not driving. -- Richard Gere, Runaway Bride

  3. #23
    Junior Member RageMi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Banawe
    Country
    Philippines
    Posts
    20
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    extra hand assist grips at the rear.............rear side door pockets......a reverse camera and back up sensors......fully adjustable projector Headlights with HIDs.....stiffer rear springs ....hidden windshield washer for that clean look....cruise control.... cleartec installed on all models released worldwide... optitron gauges and rain sensor for wipers
    "Our knowledge is a receding Mirage in an expanding desert of Ignorance!"

  4. #24
    Senior Member Ares's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Houston
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    1,578
    Thanks
    20
    Thanked 96 Times in 69 Posts
    ^
    Remember the 500$ limit.

    The limit is to make sure that they don't raise price of the car.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mistah JT View Post
    Aus LS spec got auto lights and wipers :P
    I wonder if the hardware is already in the car...

    For Mustangs and F150s (and mostly other fords), all you need to do is buy the light switch with the extra "automatic" knob and voila, you got auto lights.

  5. #25
    Senior Member grsupercity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Michigan
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    817
    Thanks
    38
    Thanked 69 Times in 56 Posts
    standard touchscreen with nav as an option

    and maybe an le edition with a special blacked out front and black rims.

  6. #26
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Jamesburg, NJ
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    116
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 12 Times in 12 Posts
    For those mentioning a super tall 5th for 75+ mph highway cruising, I believe you won't find much of an improvement. With the CVT, there's only a 225-ish rpm difference between 55 and 65mph but because the engine is fighting that much more air being displaced to maintain velocity, the same exact trip will show 43-44 mpg on the dash instead of 49-51.

    In fact, with a taller-than-Euro 5th, I'd imagine seeing an mpg DROP as the cruise control forces the engine to go WOT in uphill stretches of highway because it's out of its torque band.

  7. #27
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Sydney
    Country
    Australia
    Posts
    602
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked 98 Times in 73 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dorifuta View Post
    For those mentioning a super tall 5th for 75+ mph highway cruising, I believe you won't find much of an improvement. With the CVT, there's only a 225-ish rpm difference between 55 and 65mph but because the engine is fighting that much more air being displaced to maintain velocity, the same exact trip will show 43-44 mpg on the dash instead of 49-51.

    In fact, with a taller-than-Euro 5th, I'd imagine seeing an mpg DROP as the cruise control forces the engine to go WOT in uphill stretches of highway because it's out of its torque band.
    On our legal highway speed, which is 110km/h.
    The manual sits at 3100rpm, while the cvt auto sits at 2100. Longer final gear in the auto.

  8. #28
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Jamesburg, NJ
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    116
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 12 Times in 12 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mistah JT View Post
    On our legal highway speed, which is 110km/h.
    The manual sits at 3100rpm, while the cvt auto sits at 2100. Longer final gear in the auto.
    My Yaris had similar gearing, and the 1.5 had just enough torque on tap to compensate for climbing a grade. I'd say euro gearing is perfect as is.

  9. #29
    Administrator MetroMPG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    1000 Islands, Ontario
    Country
    Canada
    Posts
    5,925
    Thanks
    1,779
    Thanked 1,514 Times in 940 Posts

    taller gearing: been there, done that

    I installed a taller final drive ratio in my 1.0L Pontiac Firefly's (Geo Metro) manual transmission -- it dropped engine RPM by ~25% in every gear (which is why a 5th gear swap would have been better, but there are no parts to let me do just that). It's much taller gearing than any car company would ever release for a 1.0L engine. Fuel economy increased by ~5%, on average, over a range of cruising speeds. Maximum acceleration decreased (because it affects all gears).

    Yes, it's theoretically possible to overgear a car for mountain driving and get worse economy. I rarely drive in the mountains.

        __________________________________________

        click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage base ES 1.2 manual: 54.0 mpg (US) ... 23.0 km/L ... 4.4 L/100 km ... 64.9 mpg (Imp)


  10. #30
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Jamesburg, NJ
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    116
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 12 Times in 12 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    I installed a taller final drive ratio in my 1.0L Pontiac Firefly's (Geo Metro) manual transmission -- it dropped engine RPM by ~25% in every gear (which is why a 5th gear swap would have been better, but there are no parts to let me do just that). It's much taller gearing than any car company would ever release for a 1.0L engine. Fuel economy increased by ~5%, on average, over a range of cruising speeds. Maximum acceleration decreased (because it affects all gears).

    Yes, it's theoretically possible to overgear a car for mountain driving and get worse economy. I rarely drive in the mountains.
    I wouldn't call nj "mountain" driving... it isn't exactly flat either. Just gentle hills; I think most of america is like this, based on my driving through the northeast and southeast.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •