Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Enhancement Requests: how would you improve the Mirage?

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dorifuta View Post
    I wouldn't call nj "mountain" driving... it isn't exactly flat either. Just gentle hills; I think most of america is like this, based on my driving through the northeast and southeast.
    Most is relative I suppose. I followed the Mississippi from Minnesota down to the Gulf and back once - not a hill in sight! You are probably right, though, that most Americans live on the coasts, and the coasts have mountains and hills. Since I live where it is flat, I would want the taller 5th or 6th gear. Even if I didn't, I would want it, and gear down to 4th for the climbs.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 manual: 45.0 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Even if mpg stayed the same, having the engine buzzing at 2200 rpm's instead of 3200 would be much more tolerable

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by grsupercity View Post
    Even if mpg stayed the same, having the engine buzzing at 2200 rpm's instead of 3200 would be much more tolerable
    I'd definitely want a 6th gear then; the ratio spacing would be way too wide for performance driving to accomodate such a tall 5th.

Hmm... How about the Getrag MT285 from the Focus SVT/ Mini Cooper S? Though that would probably be an $850 option... A few bucks I'd happily add to my monthly payments!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Hmm... How about the Getrag MT285 from the Focus SVT/ Mini Cooper S? Though that would probably be an $850 option... A few bucks I'd happily add to my monthly payments!
    As much as I would love that thought, short throw shifts, close ratio, etc. etc., You have to remember that those engines have upwards of 180hp. I'm sure that tranny won't quite work for our cars.

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    My girlfriend would love it so much if the passenger-side visor also had a mirror!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2012 Mirage GLS 1.2 manual: 33.3 mpg (US) ... 14.1 km/L ... 7.1 L/100 km ... 40.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Visor mirror - great one! Also, how about visors that actually fully cover the side windows?

On the Getrag: maybe a size thing... but I doubt having an underpowered engine would hurt the transmission

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    On the Getrag: maybe a size thing... but I doubt having an underpowered engine would hurt the transmission
    But a poorly geared tranny would definitely hurt an engine.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    As a programmer the first thing I found myself hating about this car was the M.I.D.
    The incessant need to STARE at the damn thing while I'm driving a 5-Speed manual in the busy streets of a college town is NOT something I adore in the least.

The second thing I found myself loathing was the lack of a five band (or higher) equalizer on the stereo. While it IS nice to have bass, and treble controls I'd like to have more as the treble leaves a LOT to be desired, and you never really know what hertz they tuned the treble control TO.

The third thing I found myself thinking the mirage lacked was a more adjustable Steering Wheel. My wife is a larger chick (nothing LARGE by any means @ 5'11" and 250LBs and she's barely able to get her legs off the wheel with the seat at a decent position for clutch shifting while the seat's down all the way, and the wheel's up all the way.

Other Miscellaneous items that could be considered.

====================
    Spare Cover Assembly - Just a solid piece of 1/2" MDF with glued fabric versus that other piece together CRAP they gave us.

Better Seals along the doors - I live in Lubbock, Texas which is basically the Afghanistan of the South in terms of sand and I find myself having to brush sand out of the crevices of my gas tank, doorways, and even around the innards of the rear hatch (REALLY MAKES ME SCARED OF HOW THIS THING WILL HANDLE RAIN!)

A less complicated Door Assembly - While I DO appreciate the amount of physical screws versus those plastic clips that break I found it an utter pain in the butt to remove the door handle portion without the feeling that I was going to snap it in half.

BETTER LEDS - I CAN NOT BELIEVE THEY CHARGE $100.00USD FOR THE INSERTION OF THREE (count it...THREE) L.E.D. Bulbs that they call "interior lighting (1 on driver side, 1 on passenger, and 1 in the center) Then to top it off the floorboard ones only shine when the doors are open then for an additional 15 seconds

=====================
    SO...to recap (and shorten)

More intuitive design on the MID
    Five band Equalizer (or even presets) on the Stereo
    Further adjusting options on steering wheel
    More Stable (solid?) spare wheel cover
    More Stable (solid?) Seat Backing support (I'm scared to load groceries into my car)
    Better Door/Hatch/Gas Seals
    Reconsidered Door Panel Design
    Softer armrest on doors
    Actual Lighting instead of tiny little night lights in the illumination package

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 36.2 mpg (US) ... 15.4 km/L ... 6.5 L/100 km ... 43.5 mpg (Imp)

Not having spent more than an hour driving a Mirage, your programming comment has me curious: how would you improve the M.I.D.?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Not having spent more than an hour driving a Mirage, your programming comment has me curious: how would you improve the M.I.D.?
    Well having more buttons assigned to a set of functions instead of having to click through them would be a good start.
    Also having more room on the mid for displaying information in a more consistent manner would be nice.
    The 2013 Ford Fusion MID (Non-Hybrid Version of course) is a prime example of this type of grouping.

As for the button locations having to reach through or around the steering wheel while driving and needing that hand to shift (or steer/blinker if I use my left) is also inconvenient.

It's just a PITA to access necessary information relevant to driving WHILE driving, but that's my personal opinion on the matter, as I'm sure others vary. Naturally all of these things would require more money, and I'd like to believe that the counter intuitive design of it is a "money saver" instead of just their lack of concern with how the driver would feel using it.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 36.2 mpg (US) ... 15.4 km/L ... 6.5 L/100 km ... 43.5 mpg (Imp)