Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Replaced heater core in a 2018

Yikes, if I need one I'll try to have one of my cousin-in-law's ship or bring one back from Germany.

I have the complete opposite feeling about these cars as the OP though I quickly lose interest in something that doesn't go according to plan. Everyone's perception will vary.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,177 Times in 679 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    Thanks for the details on the Thermotec heater core install. Sounds like it might be more challenging to install one of these things than it appears.

Just curious... Where did you buy the Thermotec heater core and was it model # D65003TT?

Foama... If you are reading this, did you ever install the Thermotec heater core you purchased?

There is another brand of replacement heater core (Nissens) with removable tubes. Maybe it uses a different design?!? I pulled this quote from a Foama post...
    Yes I installed a Thermotec heater core. It was the cheapest core available.
    Yes the Nissens core is similar, but much more expensive.

Here is the link to the how to with pix:

https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...-core-with-pix

The Thermotec heater core pipes did fit, but it was difficult laying on my back in a very uncomfortable position to line them up correctly and crimp the connections.
    Last edited by foama; 11-28-2023 at 12:34 PM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to foama For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (11-28-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,543 Times in 1,475 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GotMirage501 View Post
    2019 Mirage ES, manual 5-speed...13,900 mi on it.
    That thing isn't even broken in yet.

...my rear brakes were down to 3.2 mm...
    I don't know the thickness spec of 2019 brake shoes. But I'm sitting here with a box of brand new, OEM 2015 Mirage brake shoes in front of me. The thickness of the friction material on these is 3.5mm...or about the thickness of 2 nickels. Here's the service manual spec for 2015 brake shoes...

Name:  linings.jpg
Views: 122
Size:  45.9 KB

If the 2019 spec is anything like 2015, Mirage brake shoes with 3.2mm of friction material thickness are pretty much brand new.

As for your heater core...read THIS post.

My heater core is basically where yours is right now as far as heater output. It's fine 363 days of the year. I would rather keep it like it is than have my dash disassembled. If I really wanted to fix it, I would try flushing it out with a solvent first (which is not something a dealership is going to do). Living in Virginia, I wouldn't worry about it. But if you want to get it on the record before your warranty runs out, consider calling Mitsubishi directly (as described in that post I have linked).

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

BigMW (02-08-2024)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,827 Times in 2,132 Posts
    I bought a 2019 Mirage ES, manual 5-speed, wine red, new off the dealer lot.
    I live in an apartment and I'm in a fairly big city so grocery stores and whatnot are just always a couple of blocks away.. I don't really go anywhere so, as of today my car has 13,900 mi on it.
    What problems could it possibly have?
    Be sure to let us know when you’re ready to sell it. I’m sure you’ll have plenty of interest here. Even if it has some heater core problems…

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I change the coolant to distilled water + water wetter end of May and again in September with coolant for the winter.
    Doing this when I change my tires.

Easier to pay with maintenance time to change coolant than the pain of changing the core.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Be sure to let us know when you’re ready to sell it. I’m sure you’ll have plenty of interest here. Even if it has some heater core problems…
    I call dibs!
    Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,827 Times in 2,132 Posts
    So is it a heater core issue?
    Probably, yes.

Did it come from the manufacturer this way?
    Not exactly, but it seems the heater core gets clogged from whatever is in the coolant.

If it is a heater core issue is it going to continue to get worse? Is there a way to stop it in its tracks and just keep it the way it is?

I wish I had the means to do my own heater core flush.

Would a regular coolant flush that you get all day long anywhere.. would that be at all helpful?
    You can do your own heater core flush.

Years ago I got a heater core from a fellow forum member who had replaced theirs. I wanted to try an experiment to see what would dissolve the goo that clogs and found ammonia worked. I'll look for the post.

Edit: found it. Click here to go to the post - check out the discussion in the rest of the thread for more details.
    Last edited by Eggman; 02-09-2024 at 01:09 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,543 Times in 1,475 Posts
    ...I happened.to have my hand near the passenger vent, so I noticed it wasn't as warm as my side. I can near guarantee you the average person probably wouldn't have noticed it.
    If you read the PDF that's at the bottom of THIS post...it will explain (in detail with pictures) why your car doesn't have even heat output from side to side. Members of this forum have noticed this problem in some Mirages since around 2016.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)