Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Not yet owner

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Not yet owner

I signed up here to explore this vehicle. Don't know much about this car or this company.
    I have but one model of interest. G4 sedan. I will buy new. So, I have questions. Feel free to school me.

Welcome!
    If you want a reliable car that's cheap to own buy one before they quit selling them. If you want to win street light races or buy something else.
    I have some cheesy videos about some of the Mirages I maintain and the commuter car that I beat up sometimes. There's nothing wrong with buying new.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    What are your questions?

I drive the hatchback, but it can't be too different from the G4. I've heard the G4 handles better, but I've never driven one. I bought mine brand new in June of this year.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,573 Times in 1,126 Posts
    The G4 has a lot more rear passenger leg room over the hatchback if that is your concern. There are a few owners here on the forum that own the G4 and could give you input (Dirk I'm thinking of you and your ownership experiences with your current G4). You should also be able to get a better deal on a G4 over the Hatchback because the G4 has sold in much lower volumes than the hatch. The dealer I bought my Outlander Sport from has a leftover new 2023 Black Edition for less than MSRP.

https://www.leskovar.com/new/Mitsubi...7d96f515b.htm#

Since you are in Illinois I would check out White Bear Mitsubishi in Minnesota.

Like Fummins posted, if you're interested in winning speed contests this is not your vehicle. If you're interested in keeping your hard earned $$ in your pocket and understand the Mirage for what it is (reliable, easy to work on, efficient) then give it a look and test drive. I bought my 2015 Hatchback new and still own it. Zero mechanical issues and nothing other than normal maintenance. The mpg shown in my avatar is my lifetime average.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I owned a string of 3 Honda Civic's, a Toyota Paseo and a Mazda 2 coupe under the Scion iA badge and LOVED that car. Yes, and the Civic's too. So not new to compacts and yes mileage is important. But I also understand their inherent limitations. I'd own a 36 hp 60 VW Bettle if I could find a mint one.

Honda's were ALL 200 to 300K cars with perfect motors and gearboxes when they left this world rust consumed. Toyota ditto. I traded the Mazda for a Silverado 1500 which has been flawless and already has 176K on it.

Fact is, I have no trouble keeping drivelines in good shape for unbelievable lengths of time and only recently have I cracked the rust code.

I love to drive and miles come in punches in bunches. Part of my success with drivelines is treating them for what they are instead of what I wish they were. A habit I picked up loving Brit post war motorcycles. Don't ride it like it was a Honda Multi and it will last longer than you care to ride it.

I also know that a mechanical device may have some inherent limitation unique to its design that must be pandered to. A few like the Yugo are perhaps beyond redemption or worthy of even cursory trust.

1.) Given equal treatment, can I expect this mini-mouse to rival a Honda HX D16Y5 motor for longevity? Reliability?

2.) Also, I've never owned a CVT. Is this a toilet paper transmission or can it be repaired?

3.) Rock Auto, where I do much of my shopping has next to zero for parts for these cars. Is the dealer my only option?

1. Sure
    2. Maintain it and they can last. I’ve had to replace a bunch but try to keep the fluid clean by more frequent changes. As for rebuilds…I don’t know if anyone does that. Seems like Lots of people are afraid of these things. Used ones aren’t hard to find, they seem to fit any year.
    3. Years ago parts were hard to find but not lately. Unless you’re looking for body parts…brakes, steering, wheel bearings and pretty much anything else that might wear out is easy to find. Heater motors,resistors, power window motors and stuff like that just don’t seem to wear out very often. If you can’t find it, you probably won’t need it.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (12-21-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,717 Times in 2,126 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Bear View Post

1.) Given equal treatment, can I expect this mini-mouse to rival a Honda HX D16Y5 motor for longevity? Reliability?

2.) Also, I've never owned a CVT. Is this a toilet paper transmission or can it be repaired?

3.) Rock Auto, where I do much of my shopping has next to zero for parts for these cars. Is the dealer my only option?
    After 6+ years of owning my 2017 Mirage (83,000+ miles), I have replaced wiper blades, tires, & front rotors & brake pads. That's it! I did stop at White Bear for an air bag related recall back in the summer of 2018.

I bought my Mirage from them via phone/email, & they delivered my Mirage to my driveway in SW Wisconsin. Their salesman & I did the paperwork on my kitchen table. I bought a Mirage when White Bear was selling ES manuals for $7,500-9,500 brand new. How many rebates you qualified for determined the final price. Mirage pricing has changed drastically since about April of 2021 (along with most everything else). I own a Mirage, because brand new ones were selling for less than $10,000 OTD at the time. When White Bear offered to deliver it for free, I could no longer help myself. No regrets!

I haven't even had an issue with a bulb yet.

I have one decent size town (population of 5,000) in my county. My local Auto Zone had Mirage brake pads in stock. They would have got the rotors for me by the afternoon, but I went down the road to O'Reilly's. I picked up the rotors for the same price there, because they had them in stock.

I have zero concerns about Mirage parts. I wouldn't let a dealer touch my car unless it's warranty or recall work. If I need a battery, I'm getting it at Walmart for about half the price of the auto parts stores or local small mechanics.

As far as being dependable see this 414,000 mile Mirage below -

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a3...irage-414-000/

There's no reason to believe the same power train in the G4 wouldn't be the same. Personally, I prefer the manual option, but that no longer exists.

Affordable, reliable, & economical is how I describe my Mirage. I get 40-50 mpg pretty much year round with the 5-speed manual. A little closer to the 40 mpg during the winter months & a little closer to 50 mpg during the summer months. That could be caused by winter fuel, snow tires, & whatever else, too.
    Last edited by Mark; 12-13-2023 at 05:33 AM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,441 Times in 1,047 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    If you want to win street light races or buy something else.
    Fummins - I was rollin' all tight the other day, had some ole ladies eyeballin me hard while I was rollin in the Blueberry too.

I eased up next to a Yugo at a traffic light. In retrospect, I do recall the Yugo smoking lightly and it had a miss at idle. The Yugo driver looked over at me, caught me staring, and revved his engine. I revved back (not sure he heard), then we both faced the red traffic light and gripped our steering wheels tighter. When the light turned green we both took off with a fury that would make John Force blush. A few minutes later, I shifted to 2nd, and soon thereafter he and I caught up to other traffic, and I had put AT LEAST a full fender on him. Score one for the Blueberry!

The moral of the story is, don't discount these tire scorching Mirages! They W-I-N!!! And out-tow Ford Lightnings!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    Fummins - I was rollin' all tight the other day, had some ole ladies eyeballin me hard while I was rollin in the Blueberry too.

I eased up next to a Yugo at a traffic light. In retrospect, I do recall the Yugo smoking lightly and it had a miss at idle. The Yugo driver looked over at me, caught me staring, and revved his engine. I revved back (not sure he heard), then we both faced the red traffic light and gripped our steering wheels tighter. When the light turned green we both took off with a fury that would make John Force blush. A few minutes later, I shifted to 2nd, and soon thereafter he and I caught up to other traffic, and I had put AT LEAST a full fender on him. Score one for the Blueberry!

The moral of the story is, don't discount these tire scorching Mirages! They W-I-N!!! And out-tow Ford Lightnings!
    I only beat people who fall asleep, once they wake up they often do the patented "flyby" to the next red light. But...winter time evens out the playing field. It's fun to pull away slowly while the car next to you is still spinning away, foot to the floor going nowhere shaking back and forth like a mental patient.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thank you! Friendly place you have here. That link was great. I don't drive that many miles a day, but it is the type of driving I do. Some people in retirement golf, some fish. We drive.

Three of the vehicles we now have are GDI only; and one with AFM. I want stone age simple, and this looks like that.

414K. That's what I'm looking for. Thanks for the link.