Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2015 Mirage DE 5 speed still running strong

Country
    United States
    Thanks

2015 Mirage DE 5 speed still running strong

I purchased my 2015 Mirage new in 2016 for $10,200 which included tax, tags, and title and it now has 82k miles. I've averaged over 40mpgs without even trying. My only issues have been a bad heater core (which a fellow forum member replaced for me) and a bad driver side window regulator. Other than that it has run like a Singer sewing machine! I put after market rims on it which gives it a nice profile. Beyond that it's occasional oil changes and basic maintenance.

When I purchased it in 2016, I wasn't in the market for a new car, but the local dealership was offering $3500 off MSRP, making it a steal at $10,200 all in. As a Geo Metro guy I was looking to continue with 3-cylinder tradition, and the Mirage fit the bill. I'll drive it until the wheels fall off!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 41.2 mpg (US) ... 17.5 km/L ... 5.7 L/100 km ... 49.4 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GeoStalker For This Useful Post:

Basic (12-15-2023),inuvik (12-15-2023),ThunderG (12-15-2023),Top_Fuel (12-15-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,549 Times in 1,479 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GeoStalker View Post
    ...My only issues have been a bad heater core (which a fellow forum member replaced for me)
    Was it some dude with a school bus and a mullet?!?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yup! Fixed it for a quarter of the price the dealer would have charged!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 41.2 mpg (US) ... 17.5 km/L ... 5.7 L/100 km ... 49.4 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GeoStalker For This Useful Post:

Fummins (12-15-2023),Top_Fuel (12-15-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I bought my 5 speed 2015 new in December 2014. It's got about 120,000 miles on it now.
    I can average around 50 mpg in the summer. It drops to mid 40's in the winter.
    The only problem I've had was a noisy right front wheel bearing. I replaced it with a bearing
    tool i bought on Ebay. Pretty easy. New brakes all the way around, tires and oil changes.
    It's been great!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 48.2 mpg (US) ... 20.5 km/L ... 4.9 L/100 km ... 57.8 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to ThunderG For This Useful Post:

inuvik (12-15-2023)

Business Up Front Johnny Mullet's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I love my 2017 Mirage ES. It now has 150,000 miles on it and it's been trouble free. Best car I ever owned. Besides brakes and tires I had to only do minor repairs and one clutch replacement.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Johnny Mullet For This Useful Post:

inuvik (12-16-2023),ThunderG (12-16-2023)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Well my 2017 is the lemon of the bunch.
    Seriously cracked windshield simply due to very cold
    The d*mn rattle that drives me crazy.
    Eaten 2 batteries in 6 years
    Now I have the parking brake lamp going on and off, it was mostly off, now it's mostly on. Fluid level?
    A couple of other minor but annoying things I can't quite recall ATM.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post
    Well my 2017 is the lemon of the bunch.
    Seriously cracked windshield simply due to very cold
    The d*mn rattle that drives me crazy.
    Eaten 2 batteries in 6 years
    Now I have the parking brake lamp going on and off, it was mostly off, now it's mostly on. Fluid level?
    A couple of other minor but annoying things I can't quite recall ATM.
    Yeah, you probably need front brakes. When I tell drivers that light isn't just for the park brake I get the deer in the headlights look...
    And 90% of the time it's on because the brake fluid level dropped because the front pads are worn down. The fluid level sensor in the master is pretty sensitive and kicks on early, usually giving lots of notice that you need to check your brakes.

One car came in for an oil change and they casually mentioned the e-brake light has been on for the past few weeks.....The master cylinder was almost empty because a rear wheel cylinder failed.

Quick fix for your rattle is pop the exhaust hanger that's just ahead of the rear wheel off the body and wrap tape around the dingus end to take up the slack. Takes longer to jack up the car than to "fix it".

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Basic (12-19-2023),ThunderG (12-22-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Well, as soon as I brag about my 2015, the front right axle goes kaput. Ricart Ford said the part is on backorder so they gave me a new Nissan Maxima as a loaner, all covered under warranty. They also are recommending a bunch of other items be taken care of, mostly brake related, to the tune of about $2200.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to GeoStalker For This Useful Post:

ThunderG (12-22-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by GeoStalker View Post
    Well, as soon as I brag about my 2015, the front right axle goes kaput. Ricart Ford said the part is on backorder so they gave me a new Nissan Maxima as a loaner, all covered under warranty. They also are recommending a bunch of other items be taken care of, mostly brake related, to the tune of about $2200.
    Unless you beat the ever living snot out of your car it shouldn’t need much work. Aftermarket brakes can be bought for cheap enough,
    . The rear drums are usually the most expensive part. From a dealer they’re hundreds of dolllars but aftermarket can be found from $50 and up if you can find a deal.

I’d have someone like Johnny take a look or do that for you instead of paying a dealer.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    As it turned out, the dealer kept my car for 50 days while ordering a replacement axle and new transmission! The warranty covered 50 days worth of two different rental cars (a 2024 Nissan Maxima and 2024 Hyundai Kona). The total cost of repairs was $8000, all covered by the warranty.

And no, I don't drive my Mirage hard. I can't for the life of me figure out what I would have done to break the axle and damage the tranny. I was averaging 44 mpg until it just started clunking on me.