Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Here's something to ponder.
    (Assuming same filter is used...)
    Walmart oil $5.60/qt/L=$17/oil change
    Redline $ 18/qt/L =$54/oil change
    Liqui Moly $ 10/qt/L =$30/oil change
    If I used walmart oil(and did 6000km interval oil changes) in the latest two cars that I replaced the engines in, 458k km and 528k km they would have had 76 and 88 oil changes.

458k car would have cost: walmart oil-$1292, using redline $4100. $2808 difference. That's 65 tanks of fuel for me ($1.44/L) or 2 months worth of beer.
    528k car would have cost walmart oil-$1496, using redline $4752. $3256 difference. That's 75 tanks of fuel. 30L at $1.44/L. Or 3 months worth of beer.

I bought the engine for my current car for around $800 with 10k kms(yes mileage is legit). At the time engines with higher miles were listed for as low as $200...
    I would charge less than $1000 to install one.
    Buy cheap oil, drive 458k kms, blow up the engine, and bring it to me to replace the engine. Rinse, repeat. You'll $1000 every 458k kms! Everybody wins.
    With respect, these numbers make me more convinced to use the better oil.

To get to 458k km it would take me about 13.5 years.

In order to save $1000 in 13.5 years does not seem worth it.

Your math is assuming that mirage engines continue to be easy to obtain in the future when they almost certainly will become rarer as new models are not produced, and that the car fails with access to a nearby high quality mirage mechanic.

For you it is economical because of your extreme skill and access to equipment to service mirages.

But for me an average road user, the oil hole is so much easier, I will pay my $1000 over 13 years with a smile on. The extra money is for convenience and to have an engine that is at least as reliable probably more reliable than your excellent examples.

Mirage per km is cheaper than the bus even with expensive oil.

The question for me is will the same wear be shown at 458k km even with more expensive oil. I am betting by feel of supertech compared to redline that the answer is no, but only time will tell.

Last edited by sunbeam; 03-10-2024 at 07:12 AM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,827 Times in 2,132 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sunbeam View Post
    With respect, these numbers make me more convinced to use the better oil.

To get to 458k km it would take me about 13.5 years.

In order to save $1000 in 13.5 years does not seem worth it.

Your math is assuming that mirage engines continue to be easy to obtain in the future when they almost certainly will become rarer as new models are not produced, and that the car fails with access to a nearby high quality mirage mechanic.

For you it is economical because of your extreme skill and access to equipment to service mirages.

But for me an average road user, the oil hole is so much easier, I will pay my $1000 over 13 years with a smile on. The extra money is for convenience and to have an engine that is at least as reliable probably more reliable than your excellent examples.

Mirage per km is cheaper than the bus even with expensive oil.

The question for me is will the same wear be shown at 458k km even with more expensive oil. I am betting by feel of supertech compared to redline that the answer is no, but only time will tell.
    So do you really expect to drive your Mirage to 458km? That would be impressive in itself. Is rust a problem in your area? Maybe you would want to prioritize rust prevention too?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    So do you really expect to drive your Mirage to 458km? That would be impressive in itself. Is rust a problem in your area? Maybe you would want to prioritize rust prevention too?
    Well expect is a strong word, there is always the risk of collision, or maybe the car outlasts the driver haha.

Rust is for sure a problem and I would expect the car to rust away without rust proofing.

I have rust proofed the car with an oil based rust proofing agent on purchase and plan on rust proofing every summer.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to sunbeam For This Useful Post:

Grumpy Bear (03-11-2024)

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Bear View Post
    Waiting for Clacky II to be released.
    It’s coming
    Attachment 26833
    Slower than the second coming....Shaw internet blows. Time to try Elon internet.

Last edited by Fummins; 03-24-2024 at 01:54 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Grumpy Bear (03-25-2024),inuvik (03-24-2024)