Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: No power steering/ Electrical Issue

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

No power steering/ Electrical Issue

I had a battery light to begin with,new alternator and battery installed, now I have no power steering and a light on for that, battery light still on, traction control light on, and the parking brake light will not go off. I pulled the kick panel and sprayed the connectors with electronic cleaner, no change , also took wiring apart at the engine spot with the cable wire tie that is a usual suspect, and no corrosion found. I am at a loss what to do next.

Check to see if it's charging. The battery light will come on if it's over or under-charging. Power steering is the first thing to stop working if the battery voltage is getting low or if the connections at the battery are loose/corroded. Maybe bad ground? Could make a jumper with booster cables from a negative terminal to the engine to test that theory.
    What year is your car?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Check to see if it's charging. The battery light will come on if it's over or under-charging. Power steering is the first thing to stop working if the battery voltage is getting low or if the connections at the battery are loose/corroded. Maybe bad ground? Could make a jumper with booster cables from a negative terminal to the engine to test that theory.
    What year is your car?

2015 I have a question, when I remove the kickpanel, is it the wire connectors that get corroded visible as you take the panel off, or is it the fusebox/junction box that gets the corrosion? Yes I also thought about regrounding the battery, it starts great though with a bad ground I have always had starting issues on other cars.. Its below zero wind chills here in NE ohio right now.
    Last edited by The..me; 01-15-2024 at 12:54 AM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    What year is your car?
    The whole story. I had a battery light on, Autozone said voltage regulator and battery were bad, I ordered a alt from Rock Auto they sent me wrong alt but all the internals were the same so I swappped the guts. something went wrong was noisy like a bad bearing thats when the zillion lights came on my dash (battery never went away. Then I got the right alt from autozone today, sounds great but lights still on. car has 140000 miles on it. 5 speed manual.

You can’t always see the corrosion,
    Might have to remove the connectors, and look at the back side of the connectors to see any hidden green. I
    Don’t have my thinking cap on, will check back tomorrow. Probably. Did you cut open the harness anove the intake manifold
    And inspect it? From
    The alt to above the transmission.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I cut it open at the zip tie clip just a couple inches I didn't see anything there. Your thinking I need to do more? I was under the impression that was the hot spot. After reading through the posts on here. it is super cold here now, so far I need to check neg batt ground out and look at the back of the connectors in kick panel. need warm weather. with no PS I can't even drive it to a shop. I have an 89 Bronco II and a 2007 Mustang HATE driving either of those in the salt. Gotta work tomorrow too.

Sorry about that last post, it didn't make much sense.

I guess first thing I'd do is see if it's charging. Throw a volt meter on the battery with the engine running and post what it says, then go from there. If it's around 15 volts then it's probably a broken wire in that harness along the top of the intake. They usually break around one of the two zip ties above the intake. I undo the zip ties and slice the harness open the entire way and look closely at every wire. Iirc, usually one of the small wires from the alternator wear through and hang on by a few strands.

As to why the abs/brake lights are on ...it might be related or not. Check both brake light bulbs. When both burn out they throw codes and can make car act up. If that's not it, check for codes. Could be anything from abs sensor to wheel bearing.

The kick panel connector corrosioin usually affects the lowermost connector, it's below the floor level. You can unplug is then unclip the part that stays in the junction block and push it out(towards the firewall), spin it around and look at the backside of the plug. Just the slightest traces of green can cause tons of problems.

The power steering problem is hopefully just caused by the battery light/undercharging?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,431 Times in 1,037 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The..me View Post
    ... car has 140000 miles on it. 5 speed manual.
    Is it blue?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    It is blue

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,431 Times in 1,037 Posts
    That's a one in a million issue. The blue ones generally NEVER have any issues.

A couple questions I don't think were asked in this thread.

Have you replaced any exterior bulbs with LED bulbs?

Do you have anything connected to your OBD connector?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

mohammad (01-16-2024)