Thread: 1.2L Mirage ES Purchased in Lubbock, Texas

Country
    United States
    Thanks

1.2L Mirage ES Purchased in Lubbock, Texas

I've recently acquired the new 2014 Mirage ES Almost fully loaded.
    I opted out of the Nav Package as the convenient USB charger in the glove box makes navigation through Bluetooth Stereo a breeze; but acquired the matching handles, cruise control, alloy wheels, manual transmission, bluetooth hands free, steering wheel controls, fog lights, tinted windows, keyless entry, proximity sensor, etc.

After nearly 120 miles I can say that I honestly like this car a LOT. While I'm not a big fan of Manuals in American traffic (especially in a college town such as Lubbock (too many stop 'n go traffic situations to make standards worth it) it was the only option as every automatic that was relatively the same price with options i cared for was sold out as far north as Denver Colorado.

My car before this one was a '99 Buick Century Custom, and despite the VERY good care that I took of that car it eventually developed intake manifold issues, and once it started sucking a gallon of coolant per ten miles I knew it was just a matter of time before the heads went too, so I simply traded it in towards the mirage.

I have a two year old that uses a fairly large Child Seat, and I can say that whilst sitting behind my wife who has a "larger frame" at 5'11" and nearly all legs my daughter fits just fine. I took a felt cargo liner mat from the Local Hell-Mart (Wal-Mart) for nine bucks, and cut slits to route the headrest and convenience hook through it so that her kicking the seat wouldn't be an issue.

All in all the car runs great so far. Even with my wife, basically using every mile (Minus about thirty which was 15 at the dealership, and me getting it home) that's on this car to "re-learn" a stick it's holding up just fine. No issues with the clutch even after she grinded it god knows how many times, and the gearbox/transmission/engine stay relatively cool. Monitored with a hood mounted I.R. meter that's hardwired into a display I keep in my car I'm barely over operating temps with the constant work of this thing having to constantly start, shift, stop - rinse and repeat.

I've not really tested the suspension but I do know that there are "drains" (channels) grooved into the roads here somewhat like a bass ackwards speedbump that dips into the road due to the extreme droughts this place can have but also the sheer amount of flooding potential due to a lack of storm drains.
    On these "concave bumps" it handles WAY better than the aftermarket (don't remember brand, or product) suspension on my century did and it was on 16" tires. The car sits a little higher too, which I like a lot.

All in all, I'm satisfied with my purchase and feel adequately safe while driving this car after watching the NCAP, and IIHS videos; and look forward to maximizing the profit of this vehicle through it's awesome service warranty.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 36.2 mpg (US) ... 15.4 km/L ... 6.5 L/100 km ... 43.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Im glad you like it! What color did you get?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Welcome and congrats on the purchase.

How much was the car drive-out, if you don't mind me asking?

Also, we need to set-up a Texas Mirage meet soon. Getting a few Texas members on here.

Dracconus: welcome to the forum. Glad to hear you're happy with the car! Buick Century to Mirage is quite a shift.

Ares: and yet another Texan signed up today (but hasn't posted yet, I don't think). You folks are representing for the Mirage!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    ^ don't u Texans have like 85mph highways?

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Why am I not surprised to hear about your intake manifold gaskets? DEX-COOL was the curse of the 3100, among other GM engines of that era. Sorry to hear about the loss, as you probably know other than that the Century was a great car.

Welcome to the Mirage family!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Mostly 70, however, that means cars are going at least 75 up to 85.

Also, HERE is a link showing a few 75mph and 80mph roads.

With that said, I will NOT hesitate to drive the mirage at those speeds. Hell, yesterday I was cruising in and out of traffic at 75-80mph. The throttle response at those speeds is almost instant because the engine is at its powerband.

I think Texas is responding well for a "pony car," "supercar," and "4wheeldrive" state. However, we have a lot of poor people here as well. Also, believe it or not, lots of hybrids, SmartCar, and even iQ.

I can assure you that my next vehicle purchase would be one with 4 wheel drive and may or may not have a leveling kit.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ares View Post
    Mostly 70, however, that means cars are going at least 75 up to 85.

Also, HERE is a link showing a few 75mph and 80mph roads.

With that said, I will NOT hesitate to drive the mirage at those speeds. Hell, yesterday I was cruising in and out of traffic at 75-80mph. The throttle response at those speeds is almost instant because the engine is at its powerband.

I think Texas is responding well for a "pony car," "supercar," and "4wheeldrive" state. However, we have a lot of poor people here as well. Also, believe it or not, lots of hybrids, SmartCar, and even iQ.

I can assure you that my next vehicle purchase would be one with 4 wheel drive and may or may not have a leveling kit.
    Too many people to quote, so I'll just go down the list xD

I purchased the White version

Fully loaded minus a few of the options I didn't care for (Navigation, side trim, chrome, and that UNGODLY BLACK LINE) I walked off Reagor Dykes Mitsubishi in Lubbock (no affiliation) with a total of under 17.5 minus my personal interest rate, and less my thousand dollar rebate for buying a stick.

They were really nice in working with my "tight" situation of 250 Down, and an available max of 400 a month (Got me in at 410.17 /mo and 250 down with a 600 valuated trade in of my century which had ONE working window (3 zip tied internally as the actuator cables broke) a stuck open blend door on my ac, bad intake valve and soon to blow head gaskets on tires that probably had about 1.5 tread left on them (Although visually exterior wise the car is in great condition minus a missing lug cover.)

We DO have some freeways that have 85MPH speeds, but the typical standard is 65 & 70. Most of the ones that have 85 are single lane stretches for hundreds of miles across nothing but farmland/plains.

The manifold gasket actually had nothing to do with the Dex-Cool, and while people love to blame the particulates/silicates the fact remains that the real problem lies in the expansion/contraction of two ENTIRELY different compositions of metal (Aluminum - not even alloy) and Cast Iron blocks and their ineptitude of using nylon gaskets between the two (jackasses) The car when purchased was maintained fairly well, whomever had it in Pennsylvania took really good care of it, but I think that it as with all cars just "hit its runners wall." and as I only paid 2grand for it in a bind when my wifes car got rod knock (stupid ass lied and said she changed her oil on several occasions) I would say that lasting a year and nearly 15k miles it didn't do too terribly bad considering all I ever had to do was change the brakes, oil, and thermostat. (it was still on the same Goodyear All Season (I REALLY NEED TO FIND SOME OF THESE FOR MY MIRAGE) from 1999 )

Texas speed limits aren't really speed limits as much as cautious reminders that that's what we're SUPPOSED to be driving. On most freeways, about 75% of the time (unfortunately) the only department that cares if you're speeding in excess of more than 5mph over the limit is the county mounties or state troopers. Inner city police typically don't bother with speeding on freeways in most Texas cities that aren't HEAVILY populated.

As a side note as of this moment I've got 120 miles on the car with 15 as of my "drive away" (before they fueled it and handed me the keys to drive home) and and I'm still not half a tank used.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 36.2 mpg (US) ... 15.4 km/L ... 6.5 L/100 km ... 43.5 mpg (Imp)