Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Engine and CVT reliable?

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Engine and CVT reliable?

So I purchased a 2023 Ralli-Art Mirage a few months ago. I am truly amazed at how gutless this car is. I travel over a mountain and average about 36mpg to my commute to work and back. The RPM range is mostly in the 3000-4000 range and I don't like to push it any harder as the engine sounds like it is about to go through the hood. So how reliable is this engine and trans as they seem to work so hard all the time?

Smash the gas and go.................eventually.

I don’t drive over mountains very often but that sounds about right. These have under 80hp, regardless of what trim level they have.
    Engine failures aren’t very common, and they do have a long warranty.They’re relatively idiot proof so unless you overhear it and ignore the warning lights or drive around in L or DS all the time you’re probably fine. If not that’s what warranty is for.

I’d probably change the cvt fluid a little more often than recommended and the same for the engine.
    I maintain a fleet of 30-40 of these cars used for deliveries in and out of town. They’re pretty reliable. The only engine failure I’ve had was in my own car that spun a rod bearing at almost 300k Km. I’ve had a few cvt failures between 200-400k Km but with more frequent fluid changes they see to last longer.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (01-19-2024),mohammad (01-19-2024)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by movin2stereo View Post
    So I purchased a 2023 Ralli-Art Mirage a few months ago. I am truly amazed at how gutless this car is. I travel over a mountain and average about 36mpg to my commute to work and back. The RPM range is mostly in the 3000-4000 range and I don't like to push it any harder as the engine sounds like it is about to go through the hood. So how reliable is this engine and trans as they seem to work so hard all the time?
    When I bought my first Honda Motorcycle after years of Brit iron I almost had a heart attack over the rpm those things turned. As it turned out, it wasn't an issue at all. The motor in this thing is a good side Yamaha Triple. Those things last forever over 5K rpm.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,717 Times in 2,126 Posts
    White Bear Mitsubishi bought one back from a customer that had 414,000 miles on it. See below -

https://media.mitsubishicars.com/en-...ready-for-more

If I was doing your type of drive every day, I would have bought something else. A 5-speed manual may have helped, but it wouldn't lower your RPMs. Then again, you can't buy what doesn't exist any more either.

Having said that, the car runs perfectly fine in the 3,000-4,000 rpm range. You can't expect a 3-cylinder car to run at the same RPMs of a 6-cylinder. Common sense tells you fewer cylinders will have to wind up more.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Grumpy Bear (01-19-2024)

cvt connoisseur, of sorts OrganicFoxes's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Even if noisy and rattily, the engines are pretty solid when maintained. The trans is the only thing I would be worried about. Just change the fluid out like 30k ish miles and you will be all good, preferably drop the pan and clean the magnets. Those metal shavings can build up and just wear down your transmission and possibility cause a failure. I only had simple drain and fills until 90k miles when I dropped the pan, those magnets could not hold anymore. (my Mitsubishi dealer did not drop the pan and clean the magnets) I could barley see the magnets at all with how much was stuck to it. If you are okay with getting your hands dirty I definitely recommend doing maintenance yourself, can save a lot of money too. I knew nothing about cars when I started driving the mirage and eventually started doing maintenance myself. My experience has been pretty good all around, I have absolutely abused this car. Practically holding the car at 4k rpm from coast to coast, Washington state to Georgia 3 times with the car looking like the shocks were removed with how much stuff was in the car. Had my tv on top of the car, a bike on top and a bike on the back for one of the 3 trips too. I honestly do not know how the trans did not overheat with how I drove it, was in the summer, up to 100F outside. Onetime there was steam coming out of the dipstick, still did not indicate it was overheated. I have no oil burning at all but there is a small oil leak on the timing chain cover. So yeah that was my experience so far.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 47.9 mpg (US) ... 20.4 km/L ... 4.9 L/100 km ... 57.5 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OrganicFoxes For This Useful Post:

Grumpy Bear (01-19-2024),MetroMPG (01-19-2024)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I've climbed steep mountain roads with a mountain bike on the roof, yes I pull over to the right lane with my hazzards on. Just like the big Trucks. I drive it with cruise control, so when the CC fails (<=10mph below set) I'll then know it's time to blinker on and pull out. But then again, I haven't floored the accelerator to see what would happen.
    Last edited by Dookaughs; 01-19-2024 at 06:04 AM.

cvt connoisseur, of sorts OrganicFoxes's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dookaughs View Post
    I've climbed steep mountain roads with a mountain bike on the roof, yes I pull over to the right lane with my hazzards on. Just like the big Trucks. I drive it with cruise control, so when the CC fails (<=10mph below set) I'll then know it's time to blinker on and pull out. But then again, I haven't floored the accelerator to see what would happen.
    The first and last time I had cruise turn off I thought the car just blew up or something, it scared me so bad.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 47.9 mpg (US) ... 20.4 km/L ... 4.9 L/100 km ... 57.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,431 Times in 1,037 Posts
    The feeling that the engine is about to blow through the hood, must be a 2-pedal car thing. When I've got the cruise set at 75 mph, the engine is turning about 3,800 rpm. And it sounds as pleasant as can be. And at 3,800 rpm, it's darn close to its maximum torque. I haven't met a hill yet that this Mirage won't pull at 75 mph. I think 3,500 - 4,000 rpm sounds and feels quite smooth. I was concerned about running 75 mph on the interstate with a Mirage before I bought one ... but the guys on here assured me it was no issue. They were right.

But mine is a 5-speed. Where when I pull bunny hills or bigger, the rpm doesn't change. The throttle opens, the engine gets a bit louder, but it doesn't sound unpleasant at all. I would imagine the CVT changes rpm and gets louder. Maybe that might be annoying, I wouldn't know. All I know is, I have always been impressed how well this 3-Tapper runs, especially on the interstate.

Top your oil up and try to relax (I don't know, maybe you are relaxed), with good maintenance I doubt the engine is going to give you any problems.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

Dookaughs (01-19-2024),Grumpy Bear (01-19-2024),inuvik (01-19-2024)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Well I'm glad to hear positive things about this car from fellow drivers. I did autobody work for twelve years and heard many horror stories of how some mechanics butchered cars at dealerships,therefore I will be doing the maintenance myself. The best part about this car purchase was the warranty so that is why I purchased it.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Bear View Post
    When I bought my first Honda Motorcycle after years of Brit iron I almost had a heart attack over the rpm those things turned. As it turned out, it wasn't an issue at all. The motor in this thing is a good side Yamaha Triple. Those things last forever over 5K rpm.
    So this has a Yamaha power plant?