Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fuel pump match up

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    I can't vouch for these parts...but I see aftermarket Mirage fuel pumps on eBay and Amazon for around $100. This Amazon part mentions the real Mitsubishi part number for the fuel pump. So maybe not a bad deal if you just want to drop in a new part...

Attachment 26521
    That might be what the op already bought. I looked up that exact one and they conveniently don't show how many pins are at the connector. I assume it's missing the one for the fuel temp sensor that should be at the bottom of the assembly and it's not drilled for the pressure sensor on the top like this one https://www.amazon.com/Compatible-Mi...s%2C122&sr=8-5

One suggestion to the op, if you bought one of those Amazon ones maybe you could just drill to top part out for the sensor and transfer it to your old assembly. But I don't know if that's doable or not, the fuel lines might be hard(impossible) to remove without damaging them. I took mine apart a few times in the bush but only remember there are one or two tiny c-clips that like to fly away and are a pita to see.
    Or...Maybe try a product called Q-Bond to fix the old housing. I've used the stuff for years to repair plastic headlights and all sorts of plastic. You pour a little powder on the two pieces then a drop of the liquid and it instantly bonds everything. I'm pretty sure it's magic. It is surprisingly strong and would probably work well for that. The one powder bottle says it's petrol/oil resistant...It's like superglue but betterer.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (01-26-2024)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    The pump shone is like the one I bought. It is missing pin for the fuel temp sensor. Also need to drill a hole for the fuel pressure sensor. I still have the body, just used parts to rebuild the old one. The top cracked on the old one when I put it back . How important is the fuel temp sensor? If it is not to important I might just try and use the new one.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to geejoguy1 For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (01-27-2024)

I’m really not sure how important it is. But I’m pretty sure it will throw a code if it’s not working.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,543 Times in 1,475 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    ...I’m pretty sure it will throw a code if it’s not working.
    I looked around and found people (on other forums) mentioning this code:

P0181: Fuel Tank Temperature Sensor Circuit

That sucks. Guess I should have known that the pump on Amazon doesn't have a single review. Not even a fake one. A lot of those aftermarket pumps seem to use the same photos.

Another option might be used OEM fuel pumps on eBay. Normally I wouldn't mess with a used fuel pump...but when a new OEM pump is $600+, then I'm considering used ones.

As best I can tell by surfing Mitsubishi parts websites, the fuel pump part number (17030W000P) is the same for every Mirage/G4 from 2014 to 2023. So if you can score a used pump out of a wrecked Mirage or G4 that's only 1-2 years old, that might be the way to go.

Here's a pump out of a wrecked 2022 with 31,000 miles...

Name:  fuel_pump2.jpg
Views: 157
Size:  67.5 KB
    Last edited by Top_Fuel; 01-27-2024 at 09:01 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

inuvik (01-27-2024)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Learned 2 things with this repair fiasco. 1 just because the internet says it will work, doesn't mean it will . 2 the internet makes you lazy . Back in the day you would call junkyards and parts stores, take your part, match it up take it home done . Now if it's not on the net you can't find ii. Well when old school called around found the part, out of 2014 matched it took it home fixed . Maybe next time I'll old school first, then the net if need be.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to geejoguy1 For This Useful Post:

7milesout (02-05-2024),Fummins (02-05-2024),Top_Fuel (02-05-2024)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,543 Times in 1,475 Posts
    I'm going to put photos in here because somebody else is going to get burned by this. You guys let me know if this is incorrect.

The aftermarket Mirage fuel pumps on eBay, Amazon, etc. have 2 issues:

1. Aftermarket pumps may not have a hole for the tank pressure sensor.

Name:  fuel_pump_top.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  95.9 KB

2. Aftermarket pumps may not have a fuel temperature sensor.

The wiring harness connector on the top of the pump should have 5 pins (not 4).
    If the pump connector only has 4 pins (see below), it doesn't have a fuel temperature sensor.

Name:  fuel_pump_connector.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  48.5 KB

Last edited by Top_Fuel; 02-05-2024 at 07:07 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

7milesout (02-05-2024),BigMW (02-05-2024),inuvik (02-05-2024)