Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2017 Mirage VS 2016 or newer Chevy Spark

Country
    United States
    Thanks

2017 Mirage VS 2016 or newer Chevy Spark

Hello Folks,

Anyone here with IRL experience with both and can share the pros and cons of the spark in comparison to the mirage from their point of view?

I'm thinking of trading my Mirage for a Spark.
    I love my mirage, mine has 24k miles on it, I've had it for 3.5 years.
    but the noisy engine is starting to annoy me now that my commute to work has changed and requires to get on the highway daily.

Last edited by GlockX; 02-07-2024 at 05:33 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,431 Times in 1,037 Posts
    I'm not an expert. But I think if you were to buy a Chevy Spark to replace your Mirage, it wouldn't be long before you WISHED you had that noisy engine back. Like when dealing with oil puking from the engine and other such nonsense THAT I HEAR (don't know firsthand) you will be dealing with.

I'd take a 2-stroke diesel sounding 3-Tapper that stays busy on the road any day, before I'd own something with much lower reliability. My $0.02.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

CROSSBOLT (03-04-2024),defensivetackle99 (02-08-2024),foama (03-05-2024),Grumpy Bear (03-05-2024),inuvik (03-04-2024)

Business Up Front Johnny Mullet's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I would never trade my Mirage for a Spark. Or anything else actually

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Johnny Mullet For This Useful Post:

defensivetackle99 (02-08-2024),inuvik (03-04-2024)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Why would you only want the Spark? Why not a used Honda Fit or Yaris? It a fair question considering you not going for a new better said car.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2023 Mirage G4 SE 1.2 automatic: 43.0 mpg (US) ... 18.3 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    I had a spark. Was okay until the head gasket started to leak. Dealer tech used the "owner won't know the difference" trick and said it was not leaking. Dealer would not honor the warranty. I don't blame the tech. The flat rate time is too short and he would make no commission.

I would not walk across the street to wiz on a spark. I LIKE hearing that 3 holer sound like a Kubota!
    Karl

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,569 Times in 1,124 Posts
    Keep the Mirage, there are no other used econoboxes that are nearly as reliable as the Mirage. Spark, Rio, Accent, Fiat 500 just to name a few. The Mirage is truly the last of the econoboxes so spend a few $$ and upgrade your speakers and crank them up! I'm with CROSSFIT, I love the sound of our little 3 pot!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    I don't even own a Mirage yet, but I've owned a stringer of GM's. If I'd have bought them a bit further apart there would have not been a second, much less a fourth. The GM 3800, pre-AFM LS and Ecotec3 4.3 LV1 were the last great motors GM has ever made IMNSHO.

Another month or so and I will be taking that little rattle trap Mistu all day long. Long live the Tea Pot.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Grumpy Bear For This Useful Post:

CROSSBOLT (03-05-2024),inuvik (03-05-2024)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,177 Times in 679 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CROSSBOLT View Post
    I had a spark. Was okay until... I LIKE hearing that 3 holer sound like a Kubota!
    I maintained a few mobile power generators with Kubota 1.5L turbo diesel engines about two decades ago. They were simple but highly reliable. Our engines are far more sophisticated today.

If you think the Mirage is too loud or too whatever and give it up, it won't take long till you regret it.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to foama For This Useful Post:

CROSSBOLT (03-05-2024),inuvik (03-05-2024)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,177 Times in 679 Posts

14. The Following User Says Thank You to foama For This Useful Post:

CROSSBOLT (03-05-2024)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,431 Times in 1,037 Posts
    We've had some threads regarding the way the Mirage sounds. I say that so you could look them up if you care to. They're fairly entertaining threads.

Except for the fact that the Mirage engine is muffled and quieter, with just the right exhaust system (and I don't know what that would be), I would think the 3-Tapper would sound a lot like a 2-Stroke in-line 6 cylinder diesel.

I think those old school 2-stroke diesel engines are just bad to the bone, as in the cool factor. Not a great engine (for power and efficiency) compared to some of the later Pre-emissions built diesel engines, but waaaaay cool.

I like the fact that the 3 cylinder sounds a lot like those. Just wish I could make mine just a skosh louder, without getting too fart cannish. I haven't experimented since I still have powertrain warranty. Not that an exhaust would void it necessarily. But I'm also broke, busted, splintered, shattered, scattered, smothered and chunked. So I haven't messed with it.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)