Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hi, I'm new.

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Hi, I'm new.

Hello Mirage forum!
    I am a newby here. I got my Mirage on Jan 22nd after my old vehicle's (09 Ford Ranger 2.3) automatic transmission took a crap . May still fix it, but probably going to sell as a mechanic special. I probably have many questions that I'll ask from time to time. Before joining, I already found out a lot of useful information here. I'll include a picture of my mirage (2024 ES).
    Name:  IMG_0133.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  77.6 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2024 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 43.6 mpg (US) ... 18.5 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.3 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Chumbo For This Useful Post:

BigMW (02-08-2024),foama (02-08-2024),Gracie-C3 (02-08-2024),inuvik (02-08-2024)

Quote Originally Posted by Chumbo View Post
    Hello Mirage forum!
    I am a newby here. I got my Mirage on Jan 22nd after my old vehicle's (09 Ford Ranger 2.3) automatic transmission took a crap . May still fix it, but probably going to sell as a mechanic special. I probably have many questions that I'll ask from time to time. Before joining, I already found out a lot of useful information here. I'll include a picture of my mirage (2024 ES).
    Name:  IMG_0133.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  77.6 KB
    Welcome and congrats on your new car!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Chumbo (02-09-2024)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,827 Times in 2,132 Posts
    Welcome to the forum.

What questions do you have for us? The Peanut Gallery is eager to please.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

Chumbo (02-09-2024)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,431 Times in 1,037 Posts
    A nice blue racecar! Welcome to the forum!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

Chumbo (02-09-2024)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,716 Times in 2,125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chumbo View Post
    Hello Mirage forum!
    Your Mirage looks sharp!

Welcome to the forum!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Chumbo (02-09-2024)

Business Up Front Johnny Mullet's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Glad you could join us!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Johnny Mullet For This Useful Post:

Chumbo (02-09-2024)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    A nice blue racecar! Welcome to the forum!
    Your ongoing comment on Blue Mirage being a race car always make me chuckle!

Don’t forget this G4 7MO Edition!

Name:  IMG_0274.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  36.2 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2023 Mirage G4 SE 1.2 automatic: 43.0 mpg (US) ... 18.3 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.6 mpg (Imp)

14. The Following User Says Thank You to defensivetackle99 For This Useful Post:

Chumbo (02-09-2024)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Thanks everyone!
    Right now, the only question I can think of is what rev range is normal for acceleration of the mirage (with CVT)? When I'm not in back of anyone, 3-4 thousand RPMs seems like a good spot. Sometimes on flat ground I can find a sweet spot and accelerate at 2500 nicely. It is much higher than my previous cars though, so I'm worried I'm putting more wear on my engine than I should be. I have never used a CVT or a 3-cylinder though.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2024 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 43.6 mpg (US) ... 18.5 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,431 Times in 1,037 Posts
    Chumbo - I'm going to say that you could probably "mash" the pedal to the floor most of the time, and not harm the engine (assuming proper maintenance). So being concerned about the health of the engine below near redline to me should be kept minimal.

Maybe your intention of your thread is more about, what is more efficient / effective. Mine is a 5 speed. I find the rpms between 2,500 and 3,000 rpm to be smooth, effective and efficient. But slow. However, even if I pull it to 4,500 rpm to get up to speed, most people in my vicinity must think they're John Force so I still wouldn't keep up with them. Therefore, I just drive my own game and try not to pay attention to others (behind me). I would have to guess acclerating in that same rpm zone in a CVT would be pleasant and effective. And quicker than the 5-speed, because you don't have to let off (to shift).

I have had quite a few instances where I will pull away from a stop at a traffic light, punctually from the time the light turns green. The (usually a) lady behind me, who's been looking at her phone behind me, when she notices traffic is moving, plants her right foot like John Force. About the time I shift, she's already catching up to me, and our speeds clash. Me no longer accelerating shifting to 2nd, and her with her foot to the floor to reattain her tailgating position. There's been several times when they have had to jam their brakes to prevent rear-ending me. I get so annoyed with it, I'd like to punch my fist through their driver's side window. I would never do that, even given the chance ... but in the moment, imagining doing it feels so satisfying.

Anywho - back to what you care about. I'm voting for 2,500 - 3,000 rpm if you're not inclined to accelerate more quickly (for whatever reason). From a non-CVT owner's view. I could be off.

OK, one instance of my described traffic issue above. A very young female with darker skin that mine did this exact thing. After slamming her brakes to not plow into me, she darted over a lane, John Forced her way past me, darted over in front of me, then brake checked me 2 or 3 times. I assume she thought I was brake checking her, but I was merely shifting to 2nd. She might not have even known about the existence of manual transmission cars. What's funny is, I never even had to touch my brakes. As she was brake checking, I was in process of shifting to 3rd, and otherwise not accelerating rapidly. She wasted her time brake checking me! It was still very annoying though.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

Chumbo (02-13-2024),donatobueno (02-13-2024)

Accelerate up to 6000 if you want to. It's got a rev limiter. Often mine won't go past 5000 for some reason(maybe too cold?). I maintain a fleet of these things. I guarantee that a lot of the cars aren't driven by patient people, they last a long time. If driven somewhat sanely I'm sure you'll get far more life out of one. I'd drive however you want, maintain it and you'll be fine. I don't drive mine any differently than any of my other vehicles, except when it comes to passing someone(and taking places a car shouldn't be)...

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Chumbo (02-13-2024)