Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Drl to fog light?

Quote Originally Posted by 2024mirage View Post
    Weird sunbeam!!!

My drl is in the fog light!! The hole is small af the one bulb I bought didn't fit.
    It is in his car too, he doesn’t know what a drl is. It’s his first car so keep that in mind before taking some posts as gospel.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

BigMW (03-22-2024)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    It is in his car too, he doesn’t know what a drl is. It’s his first car so keep that in mind before taking some posts as gospel.
    Semantics. What they are called varies by location anyways.

The lights that are running in the day. You can use fogs if your headlights are set to "off" or turn your headlights in the "on" position.

If you turn the headlight into the "on" position in the day, you get the lights I show in the picture on.

I like this setup because it makes the car more visible in the day and some days are pretty gray around here.

Hoping to finally modify the setup so the lighting cluster turns on all available light including the fog light at the same time. Not sure how hard the hacking will be.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 2024mirage View Post
    Weird sunbeam!!!

My drl is in the fog light!! The hole is small af the one bulb I bought didn't fit.
    Trying to replace the fogs this weekend with LED so will try to update.
    Could not find any videos showing an LED swap online for the fogs so hoping to have at least pictures to document.

Quote Originally Posted by sunbeam View Post
    Semantics. What they are called varies by location anyways.

The lights that are running in the day. You can use fogs if your headlights are set to "off" or turn your headlights in the "on" position.

If you turn the headlight into the "on" position in the day, you get the lights I show in the picture on.

I like this setup because it makes the car more visible in the day and some days are pretty gray around here.

Hoping to finally modify the setup so the lighting cluster turns on all available light including the fog light at the same time. Not sure how hard the hacking will be.
    Just google drl. It’s not rocket appliances.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Poland
    Thanks
    Name:  Headlight.jpg
Views: 46
Size:  49.1 KB

Sooo... circled in:
    BLUE - position lights
    ORANGE - blinker
    YELLOW - low/high beam road lights

DRL is a different animal, in my 2021 it sits in the fog light and it plays dual role. At the engine startup it goes into DRL, if I switch into road lights manually or if the sensor detects it's dark and switches the lights on, then automatically DRL is switched off - as per EU regulations you should not be able to manually switch off DRLs, as per name and design they are Daylight Running Lights
    If you want to add DRLs - I would go for the OEM fog/DRL or buy seperate ones - was using Philips DRL LEDs on quite a few cars in a family, easy to install and they last for years. You can find them on Amazon, first example here: https://www.amazon.com/Philips-12824...s%2C192&sr=8-1

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2021 Space Star Intense SDA 1.2 automatic: 34.5 mpg (US) ... 14.7 km/L ... 6.8 L/100 km ... 41.4 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by bunio14 View Post
    Name:  Headlight.jpg
Views: 46
Size:  49.1 KB

Sooo... circled in:
    BLUE - position lights
    ORANGE - blinker
    YELLOW - low/high beam road lights

DRL is a different animal, in my 2021 it sits in the fog light and it plays dual role. At the engine startup it goes into DRL, if I switch into road lights manually or if the sensor detects it's dark and switches the lights on, then automatically DRL is switched off - as per EU regulations you should not be able to manually switch off DRLs, as per name and design they are Daylight Running Lights
    If you want to add DRLs - I would go for the OEM fog/DRL or buy seperate ones - was using Philips DRL LEDs on quite a few cars in a family, easy to install and they last for years. You can find them on Amazon, first example here: https://www.amazon.com/Philips-12824...s%2C192&sr=8-1
    This has been brought up a lot. Some people just can’t have a hard time figuring it out I guess. Drl have been manditory here since 1990. Now they’re coming out with automatic head and tail lights manditory as of 2023 or 2024 cause people are becoming so clueless they need big brother to turn their lights on for them.

Country
    Poland
    Thanks
    Sorry for spamming then, anyways you are right - people are becoming lazier and dumber every day. Soon we will have ear plugs on playing in a loop "breathe in... breathe out" in case someone forgets

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2021 Space Star Intense SDA 1.2 automatic: 34.5 mpg (US) ... 14.7 km/L ... 6.8 L/100 km ... 41.4 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by bunio14 View Post
    Sorry for spamming then, anyways you are right - people are becoming lazier and dumber every day. Soon we will have ear plugs on playing in a loop "breathe in... breathe out" in case someone forgets
    You explained it better than I can or am willing to try. Maybe it'll make sense now? I'm waiting for the thread asking why everyone has stupid round wheels instead of triangles.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,431 Times in 1,037 Posts
    A couple things. A lot, or most new cars illuminate the cluster area full time. Unrelated to "cutting" on the headlights like was done back in the good ole days.

So, say your a "can't parallel park" person, and you come out to your car in the dark, but you live in some citified place that has street lights. Your expectation is that everything is automagic. You touch the door handle and the car unlocks automagically. You get in and pooooosh the START button because turning a key is too difficult. The car cranks and you wonder why you have to manually put it into gear by some means (why doesn't it just go into gear automagically), and start backing up relying on beeps and automagic brakes if something is in your way.

Anywho the point is, the can't parallel park person can see their cluster (it's lit), they can see the road (it's lit), so their next priority is checking tic-tock. I don't think they're clueless. I just think they have more important priorities than to have to pay attention to driving.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,431 Times in 1,037 Posts
    Oh this thread sort of reminds me. When I bought my blue truck 24.5 years ago, it sort of miffed me that the fog lights turned off when I whomped on the high beams. The truck uses a relay that when the high beam circuit is energized, that energizing energizes the coil on the relay, which magnetically moves a contact arm in the relay that opens the fog light circuit.

So I pooped the cover off the relay, took a small cut off piece of zip tie, and jammed in into that relay in such a way as to prevent that arm from moving when the coil is energized. Poopped the relay cover back on, slapped it back in the 'lectrical box, and presto-chango I've had high beams and fog lights for 24 years. The number of people kilt from the brazillions of additional lumens of this mod has been 10 or less.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)