Thread: 2014 clutch compatibility question

Country
    United States
    Thanks

2014 clutch compatibility question

Alright, the long and short of this is my 2014 DE needs a clutch. They're not super easy to find or in stock many places. Is the 2015 clutch the same as the 2014? As in, can I install a 2015 model clutch into my 2014?

The '15 model year seemed to net more search results at lower costs. I've cross referenced part numbers for different brands and mitsubishi direct and as far as I can tell they're the same parts for both model years but when I search for 2014 either nothing comes up or it says it's not a compatible part depending on where I'm searching. The southeast clutch kit linked in a sticky here from Amazon for $90 is one of those. When i load up my 2014 car it says it's not a fit and amazon has no results for my car. Will it still work or do I gotta fork up about $300 elsewhere for the AMS on Rockauto or an Exedy from Ebay. Anything other than those either isn't in stock or unavailable to me. For whatever reason my local Autozone cannot get the clutch in to the store and I can't ship it to my home, Advance Auto doesn't have an option for 2014 same with the other brick and mortars around me. I'm stuck ordering online or paying the dealer premium.

Dealership wants quite a bit of money for the job and parts, I know a guy that will put the parts on for me if I buy them otherwise they'll have to go through dealer as well. I've gotten about an 8 hour quote from a few places so I'm looking at up to about $1500 even if I buy the clutch myself for labor. He'll also tow it there cheap and inspect for safety and emissions it when it's done. Stupid stickers. I'm looking at the Amazon option if it'll work, I've heard good things about southeast but I will buy the AMS option from rockauto if I have to. It'd be nice to put that $200 difference towards tires for my wife's car.

I'm not keen on doing the work myself in the winter outside when I don't have time anyways right now, I've also done what I feel is my fair share of FWD clutches and I'll be ok not doing more of them. But my daily grand caravan is giving me enough problems now that I have to address some of them. My backup mirage has been sitting because it needed some parts plus the clutch. Wasn't a big priority so it sat for about a year, but now I've got the money and the clutch job at a shop will be cheaper than what the van needs if I don't just toss it. The mirage definitely needs a clutch also, I've run out of pedal room to adjust it anymore. More than half throttle and it just revs. It was getting dangerous to drive so I parked it. I'm surprised it held up as well as it did though with what it's been through. About 100k miles of abuse but with proper maintenance should equate to about 250k of normal mixed driving I think. I'll be gentler this time around. No more teaching people how to drive a stick, I'll rent a uhual next time I move houses instead of overloading the car to the bump stops for over a dozen trips and I suppose I could cut back on the wintertime shenanigans and drive it like a responsible person especially since it'll be my only car for a bit.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Swoop03 For This Useful Post:

Fummins (02-22-2024)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,543 Times in 1,475 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Swoop03 View Post
    Is the 2015 clutch the same as the 2014?
    Based on the Mitsubishi part numbers, the flywheel and clutch are the same for every manual transmission Mirage from 2014-2024. I looked up multiple years and they all came back with these part numbers:

Name:  clutch.jpg
Views: 159
Size:  64.9 KB

I rarely rely on Amazon's fitment guide for anything automotive.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

Fummins (02-22-2024),Swoop03 (02-22-2024)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    Based on the Mitsubishi part numbers, the flywheel and clutch are the same for every manual transmission Mirage from 2014-2024. I looked up multiple years and they all came back with these part numbers:

Name:  clutch.jpg
Views: 159
Size:  64.9 KB

I rarely rely on Amazon's fitment guide for anything automotive.
    That's what I was coming up with too but I wanted to confirm with some more knowledgeable members here. I'm not a big car guy but I know enough. I've always been leary of fitment guides myself and was confused by it. The parts from mitsu and Luk, AMS, and Exedy show the same numbers between years but the parts stores, ebay, and amazon show different results when I specified 2014 year. I'm wondering if it's just a computer thing where this number(model year) doesn't match that number so it must be different and therefore doesn't fit. I've run into it before where to makes and models share the exact part but have separate listings. I had that once with this car on oil filters. Local places didn't have any in stock listed for my car but I found a cross reference chart and found they had some listed that fit my car but weren't listed for it.

The aftermarket often doesn't have very good parts interchange information. It seems like sometimes companies just guess and include years that are wrong and others exclude years that will work.
    I'd go with Topfuel, if the Mitsubishi part numbers are the same throughout the years then you should be fine buying a clutch for any year between 14-24.

Weird that they show 2024 fitment because they quit producing/selling the 5spd in the US in 22' and in Canada last year. There were very/minor drivetrain changes throughout the years. The biggest change was the brakes and AC system. Otherwise, most parts under the hood fit all years.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Swoop03 (02-22-2024),Top_Fuel (02-22-2024)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Gotcha, being more comfortable with that knowledge I might shop around a little and see what I can find for other years for curiosity. Also just finished reading a long post about the clutch cables and I at about 100k miles I really should go ahead and order 2 of those up while mines still good. Swap one out whenever it comes in or have the shop do it if it comes before I tow it there. Then toss the other with the appropriate tools in my roadside kit in the spare tire well. I've never had those problems with my Ford trucks or the couple Hondas I've had manuals in. Definitely seems like a common wear item for the mirage though.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,543 Times in 1,475 Posts
    Be sure to check out THIS thread about the Mirage clutch. Lots of good stuff in there.

Throwing in a new clutch cable is not a bad idea.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

Swoop03 (02-22-2024)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,827 Times in 2,132 Posts
    Stock up on clutch cables now while they're still available.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

inuvik (02-22-2024),Swoop03 (02-22-2024)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Just added 2 to my ebay cart $32 each with free shipping from Puerto Rico.

Don't forget toilet paper too.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

inuvik (02-22-2024)