Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Lubrication

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Bear View Post
    What happens when you leave bread in the toaster to long?
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    I jam peanut butter in my ears.
    I like Peanut Butter on my toast!!! Sorry, couldn't resist

I didn't know what to do, so I didn't do anything

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 37.3 mpg (US) ... 15.9 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 44.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,177 Times in 679 Posts
    I'll add my two cent to this philosophical thread.
    My 2014 1.0L MT has roughly 100000km (60000 miles) on it. After opening the plastic top cover to check valve play, an impecably clean engine was seen. Nill brown laquer residue, just totally and 100% clean. Looking through the spark plug holes with an endoscope, everything looked perfect. Through the intakes, the valves looked clean as a whistle, like brand new. No burnt toast.

What has been done to keep it that way? The car was serviced yearly at a Mitsu dealer for the first five years to uphold the warranty. They used Mitsu brand 0W20 plus the tiny measly filter without anti-drainback.
    After waranty expired I did everything myself. Oil changed once a year. Comes down to around 9 000km OCI. Yearly mileage differed greatly. Oil used by me was 0W20 PAO based ester containing, conforming to ILSAC GF6A. Filter is a Filtron OP575, because they have excellent anti-drainback properties. Future oil changes will be with the same type oil, but with 0W30 viscosity, thanks Grumpy. This car has the DIY modification for reducing enrichment while cold, see:

https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...ment-when-cold

That was done to reduce risk of scuffing cylinders and piston skirts. It also lowers fuel consumption a little bit.
    Otherwise this car has a painted underside, axle bodies and exhaust. Exhaust looks new on the outside! Cavities were waxed from day one. Practically nill rust anywhere.
    In short, no burnt toast and no mouldy bread either.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to foama For This Useful Post:

Grumpy Bear (03-06-2024)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,827 Times in 2,132 Posts
    @Eggman. It is what I said it was. Relax.
    Oh, no anxiety here, I was only cracking a joke. I should have included a smiley emoji or somesuch. No worries, carry on.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

Grumpy Bear (03-06-2024)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    I comment mainly in threads that have something to do with lubrication. Oil/gas/chemical was my life's work from operations to research and nearly anything that touched it. I didn't design door locks for Toyota. I ask questions in threads where I have little to no knowledge. I've had perhaps two of a dozen answered.

I started a lubrication dedicated thread because I was accused of 'derailing' threads and informed NOBODY was interested. Nobody being those participating in those threads. Guess what? Same half dozen gave me one post then ran the train off the tracks. One way track I see.

I persisted only because I 'assumed' that given a 'safe space' those that might be interested would engage. They did not.

My takeaway is this place is a place where the pack leaders don't like another dog peeing in the yard and the lower dogs dare not bark. Ergo I cannot gage true interest.

I get nothing from sharing what I know from anyone. I don't pay your bills and I don't live your lives, nor do I suffer the consequence of your choices. Nothing anyone does here takes one bite of food off my table or adds a cubit to my lifespan. I have no reason to care other than the inborn Godly response one has to watching a blind man walk into a wall. I said something that may prevent it. I get rebuked for doing so.

So, I will force nothing on anyone. I will grant your wish. Too much effort, to little help.

@foama excepted in everything.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,717 Times in 2,126 Posts
    I comment mainly in threads that have something to do with lubrication. Oil/gas/chemical was my life's work from operations to research and nearly anything that touched it. I didn't design door locks for Toyota. I ask questions in threads where I have little to no knowledge. I've had perhaps two of a dozen answered.

I started a lubrication dedicated thread because I was accused of 'derailing' threads and informed NOBODY was interested. Nobody being those participating in those threads. Guess what? Same half dozen gave me one post then ran the train off the tracks. One way track I see.

I persisted only because I 'assumed' that given a 'safe space' those that might be interested would engage. They did not.

My takeaway is this place is a place where the pack leaders don't like another dog peeing in the yard and the lower dogs dare not bark. Ergo I cannot gage true interest.

I get nothing from sharing what I know from anyone. I don't pay your bills and I don't live your lives, nor do I suffer the consequence of your choices. Nothing anyone does here takes one bite of food off my table or adds a cubit to my lifespan. I have no reason to care other than the inborn Godly response one has to watching a blind man walk into a wall. I said something that may prevent it. I get rebuked for doing so.

So, I will force nothing on anyone. I will grant your wish. Too much effort, to little help.

@foama excepted in everything.
    I enjoy reading your information. Some of it is over my head, & I'm man enough to admit that even though I have a minor in chemistry, broadfield science degree, and two graduate degrees in education. I think of myself as being an "educated redneck". I am not an engine oil expert!

I'm of the vintage where I did conventional oil changes with cheap Fram oil filters every 3,000 miles for decades. It's really been the past 10 years or so that I have questioned things. Most of that stems from the purchase of my 2011 Subaru Forester 2.5X manual with 15,000 miles in 2013. Since 0W-20 oil was the recommended oil for my new rig, I started buying/using synthetic oil for the first time. Today 0W-20 & thinner oil is the norm for most new vehicles.

I take a lot of stock in Fummins' fleet of Mirages, because it gives him a wealth of information to share with all of us. A former member called Steve racked up miles on his Mirage quite fast, and he was good about sharing his experiences with us. I say this quite often, but his Mirage engine was still doing quite well at 307,000+ miles when he sold the car. 5,000 mile 5W-30 conventional oil/cheap oil filters OCI served him well, but I also take a mental note that Steve was doing primarily all highway miles in a warmer climate. Thus, I tried to keep that in perspective, too.

I hope to keep my 2017 Mirage for 15+ years. I may be doing my 85,000 mile oil change later today or tomorrow. What's best - 3,000 miles, 3,750 miles, 5,000 miles, 7,500 miles, 10,000 miles OCI? Everyone's situation is different, but a middle ground may serve most of us quite well in my opinion. For my style of driving, I am leaning toward the middle of all that. Plus, 5,000 miles is just easy to remember. My Mirage will be close to 85,000 miles after running my few errands today. Thus, I know it's time for my OCI schedule. 3,000 mile OCI while using full synthetic oil doesn't seem necessary any more, but I'm not comfortable going way beyond 5,000 miles either. I do oil changes myself. It's cheap insurance in my mind. All oil (cheap & expensive) gets dirty, better oil filters help some, too.

As far as different oil brands go, I do believe some are better than others. The data would also support that. If you rack up 500,000 miles on your future Mirage without issue while using Redline oil, I would surely take note of that!

I don't know if I have a main point in sharing all this, except that I am an old dog still trying to learn new tricks. I try to remain open to what everyone shares, while maintaining my own level of commonsense (or stupidity). You're welcome to pee in my yard any time. LOL!
    Last edited by Mark; 03-06-2024 at 06:19 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,717 Times in 2,126 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Oh, no anxiety here, I was only cracking a joke. I should have included a smiley emoji or somesuch. No worries, carry on.
    I feel sorry for all you Telsa owners. Debates about engine oil become a bit irrelevant for that crowd I would assume.

If we all drove EVs some day, what would we debate about?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Battery degradation and cold weather range loss.

Edit: I read other posts in this thread. I probably misread and misinterpreted most of Grumpys posts cause reading is hard and I typically either skim through or don't make it past the first line before getting distracted. Some of Grumpy's posts came across as condescending at first glance but probably weren't intended. I can't tell from here... Either or, sorry about that!

Grumpy, I respect your know-how of oil and oil-related oils. Feel free to piss all over the place.
    Last edited by Fummins; 03-06-2024 at 09:00 PM. Reason: Reading is hard.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I appreciate what you have to share. There's so much to discuss about these little cars that the discussion often spills over to a multitude of other topics and usually include humor in one form or another.

With a forum open to the public and members able to post whatever is on their mind, it is difficult to expect all participants to stick to one's expectations. Not to disparage you, or others' posts, but why demand certain behavior of others? I mean, there are basic rules the forum asks of members in trying to keep this place family-friendly and for the most part, members respect that.

It might be helpful to look at this as a study in how the human mind works. Some topics remind the reader of something similar, and post in a stream of consciousness style of writing. There are lots of members here and only a small percentage are active. As already noted, not everyone has time to read every post thoroughly, myself included.

I enjoy reading your information. Some of it is over my head...
    Me too. It might not be readily apparent to new members, but threads that discuss oil come up regularly here.

I feel sorry for all you Telsa owners. Debates about engine oil become a bit irrelevant for that crowd I would assume.

Oh, don't feel sorry for me regarding engine oil, rather how much was spent on the stupid car. Aside from that, there's not much to debate or complain about. It simply works, and is a much simpler design in the sense it has far fewer moving parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Battery degradation and cold weather range loss.
    And that, though it's not a big deal at this point. But I should probably avoid derailing this thread too.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,177 Times in 679 Posts
    Why is it so important to shovel dirt on this thread? What motivates you to keep everyone in the dark? Is it impossible for you who have no interest to just not reply? What do you get from this disruptive behavior.

Grumpy, I feel with you. I shall post this directly here in this thread, although creating a new thread would have been more appropriate.

I've made quite a few HowTo's and put considerable effort into authoring them properly. They should be plausible, understandable, and most of all, helpful. Think ACI format, just like a thesis. After a little while, off-topic posts get added, just like dog poop becomes first placed, and then smeared on a sidewalk. More offtopic litter was added, some smart-alec remarks, remarks about remarks, and so it continued on and on. Typically if you read the third page, it has little or even nothing to do with the topic. Maybe somewhere on the fifth page somebody asked an on-topic question that was answered much further up. That person obviously didn't have neither stamina nor patience to read the previous posts embedded in all the trash, otherwise he would have noticed his question was answered further up. So it goes on and on! Off-topic posts, off-topic replies and remarks, senseless smart-alec style remarks, litter, you name it. The thread swiftly becomes detoured and frazzled in multiple directions all at the same time. Ruined and rendered worthless! Anarchy in purest form!

It is really a shame that most topics get busted up, cluttered and marred with trash posts. Just like dog poop on the sidewalk or human feces on the side of a lane in India. Its more than a shame those offenders don't get reprimanded by other forum members or moderators. Its an even greater shame that threads become shambles because they are over filled with off-topic trash posts that do not get deleted.

I think its high time for this forum to consider what can and should be done, and then to do the right thing. If some of us prefer to detour and mess up threads and rather debate about weed, beer or grandma's glasses, they might be better off joining some facebook group about vegan hamburgers or pink shoe laces instead of littering and messing up our threads here.
    The important point is, if threads are constantly going off-topic and getting littered with trash posts, why should we continue participating here and support all that anarchy? I wonder sometimes where all those How-To's went. Was all that effort wasted? I sometimes wonder why I still participate in this forum.

Decades ago in the TeamSwift forum, off-topic posts were reprimanded or deleted or both. The forum had a clear structure. If you wanted to look up a certain topic, the search function got you there. Here the threads are so littered up, that the search function may bring you to a thread title, but that thread may behold such a plethora of off-topic trash that has little to do with what you are looking for.
    Last edited by foama; 03-07-2024 at 09:14 AM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by foama View Post
    I think its high time for this forum to consider what can and should be done, and then to do the right thing.
    This isn't my forum. I was asked to serve as a moderator, but I'm no admin and don't set the rules.

That being said, let me pose a question: What do you think would happen if moderators & admins began making demands of strict posting rules? I suspect there would be far fewer participants.