Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Lubrication

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,716 Times in 2,125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    It's slippery.
    That's true! There's sliding friction, fluid friction, and rolling friction! I used to teach that stuff. Applying oil to a surface converts sliding friction into fluid friction. We all start somewhere!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

inuvik (03-07-2024)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,827 Times in 2,132 Posts
    It's slippery.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    That's true! There's sliding friction, fluid friction, and rolling friction! I used to teach that stuff. Applying oil to a surface converts sliding friction into fluid friction. We all start somewhere!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    lolol

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

Fummins (03-08-2024),inuvik (03-07-2024)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by foama View Post
    Decades ago in the TeamSwift forum, off-topic posts were reprimanded or deleted or both. The forum had a clear structure. If you wanted to look up a certain topic, the search function got you there. Here the threads are so littered up, that the search function may bring you to a thread title, but that thread may behold such a plethora of off-topic trash that has little to do with what you are looking for.
    IDK anything about the TeamSwift Forum, but I can tell you as a Forum Vet of many genres, the one reason this MFing forum is successful and is flourishing is because it's not a stick in the mud, strict, YOUCANTPOSTTHATHERE craphole. We are all just like-minded folks who like our cheap little cars.

The minute you start deleting posts is the minute this place starts to die. We monitor the discussion with regards to no politics, religion, race, etc. and the rest the group polices as seen fit. And personally I like to think that this is a really great place for folks of all ways of life to just be.

Shame on anyone who thinks restricted speech is the correct path...
    Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Basic For This Useful Post:

Fummins (03-08-2024),Mark (03-08-2024)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,431 Times in 1,037 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Basic View Post
    IDK anything about the TeamSwift Forum, but I can tell you as a Forum Vet of many genres, the one reason this MFing forum is successful and is flourishing is because it's not a stick in the mud, strict, YOUCANTPOSTTHATHERE craphole. We are all just like-minded folks who like our cheap little cars.

The minute you start deleting posts is the minute this place starts to die. We monitor the discussion with regards to no politics, religion, race, etc. and the rest the group polices as seen fit. And personally I like to think that this is a really great place for folks of all ways of life to just be.

Shame on anyone who thinks restricted speech is the correct path...
    HERE! HERE! I SECOND HIS MOTION!

Which was the intent with my sarcasm about deleting Mark's reply and dismembering him. That is NOT what I would prefer. And I would be here far less if it were all stuffy, facts or get out, sir yes sir kind of crap. It's a good mix of learning, solving problems, blended with fun.

Mark mentioned let's talk about oil again. Do you guys remember the tater chips made from O'lean (or olestra or something)? Synthetic cooking oil was it? The commercials warned that one of the possible side effects was, "an oily discharge." I never had me no O'lean chips. But I am curious of what the viscosity and shear properties were of said oily discharge...

We should discuss that.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,569 Times in 1,124 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    HERE! HERE! I SECOND HIS MOTION!

Which was the intent with my sarcasm about deleting Mark's reply and dismembering him. That is NOT what I would prefer. And I would be here far less if it were all stuffy, facts or get out, sir yes sir kind of crap. It's a good mix of learning, solving problems, blended with fun.

Mark mentioned let's talk about oil again. Do you guys remember the tater chips made from O'lean (or olestra or something)? Synthetic cooking oil was it? The commercials warned that one of the possible side effects was, "an oily discharge." I never had me no O'lean chips. But I am curious of what the viscosity and shear properties were of said oily discharge...

We should discuss that.
    Oh yeah I remember the short lived olestra days. It had the magic properties of "cleaning the pipes" so to speak. I tried a bag of chips once that were cooked with olestra and let's just say "clean up on aisle #2" was not a exaggeration. After about 30 minutes after consumption you need to be in very close proximity to a "Thunder Box".

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    "Thunder Box".
    Hehehehe. Tis a good one. Good thing there was no pilot light in that Thunder Box ... you'd have wound up with your head through the ceiling and oh boy ... what a mess!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

inuvik (03-08-2024)

I like where this is headed.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Basic (03-11-2024),inuvik (03-08-2024)

Country
    France
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Oh noooo !! Not a new thread with oil please !

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    In China, they use a lot of gutter oil. Youtube it. It's fo' real. And VERY interesting.

I wonder what the viscosity of that stuff is? They probably run it in engines too.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,716 Times in 2,125 Posts
    I honestly believe Grumpy Bear started this thread to prove how little we know about lubrication.