Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Safety Guidelines Could Eliminate Touchscreens in Cars?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,431 Times in 1,037 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    You might be pleasantly surprised to learn that Tesla uses the interior camera to monitor the driver & occupants. If it detects the driver is using a phone it sounds a warning. I don’t know of any other car that does this.
    Pleasantly surprised? The thought of such a nanny-state disgusts me. I'd have to find a way to counter-measure this. Even though, I barely mess with my phone. Because I enjoy driving so much, I don't want the phone messing it up. About the only things I do is, fire up Pain-Dora. I mess with it for google maps or Waze if I'm going on a longer drive, but usually before I start rolling.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,569 Times in 1,124 Posts
    You might be pleasantly surprised to learn that Tesla uses the interior camera to monitor the driver & occupants. If it detects the driver is using a phone it sounds a warning. I don’t know of any other car that does this.
    My thoughts on all of this monitoring is this: Tesla and a lot of new other new cars have the ability to download new software via over the air (OTA) with their cellular connection. What are they uploading? Where you drive, when you drive, how fast you are traveling? I'm sure insurance companies would love to get this kind of real time data. What happens to all of that video that is constantly being monitored by the vehicles operating system? Auto manufacturers state they don't collect that kind of data for upload but how would you know if they do other than their statement "Trust us"? No thank you very much.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

BigMW (03-07-2024)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    What warning do I get if I'm driving, and I take it out? And is that uploaded back to Tata?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    As a millennial, I like technology…somewhat. Sharing my below opinion

I don’t like tech stuff when it requires internet connection, subscription services and interference. I also don’t like tech stuff being made as super convenient and planned obsolescence at the same time but it is inevitable.

I like tech stuff as a consumption ie mp3 player, vcr, dvd, cassette player, offline-video games, anything that are simple and basic to use…and most importantly I own it. I see the Mirage being simple and basic to operate unlike modern Corolla (too many unwanted belts and whistles)

Tesla looks cool and I have nothing against folks who drive EV. Their $ their life. I wouldn’t waste my time bashing those folks. I actually am open to hear their experience (never encounter anyone who has an Tesla except Eggman, seriously!). For me, I thought EV is too comfortable and luxury for my taste and lifestyle. My Mirage is simple and appreciative even though it is not 3 second faster as the mirage with the manual. I can’t hate this car.

Heck I even had thought of buying Electra Mechanica (?) (EV with 3 wheels basically) but the asking price was high as $15-20k. Then it got recalled completely as buyback and got discontinued. I saw one as a demo in person however could not fit in there comfortably (think of 6’10 driver in a 1970 beetles lol.

Cars to me have improved for the better in many different areas ie safety, reliability and longevity, however now the era of cars are being unnecessarily complex. If my Mirage crashed today, I’ll be sad knowing it won’t even be a thing for future model year.
    Last edited by defensivetackle99; 03-07-2024 at 10:22 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2023 Mirage G4 SE 1.2 automatic: 43.0 mpg (US) ... 18.3 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.6 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to defensivetackle99 For This Useful Post:

inuvik (03-07-2024),Mark (03-07-2024)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,827 Times in 2,132 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    Pleasantly surprised? The thought of such a nanny-state disgusts me. I'd have to find a way to counter-measure this.
    Are you confusing private enterprise with governing bodies?

I can't really speak on behalf of the manufacturer, but it's not hard to imagine the liability at stake. There have been some horrendous accidents caused by operators abusing this technology.

In addition, Tesla offers car insurance. They base their rates on the driver's safety behind the wheel, and they can collect lots of data on this.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    My thoughts on all of this monitoring is this: Tesla and a lot of new other new cars have the ability to download new software via over the air (OTA) with their cellular connection. What are they uploading? Where you drive, when you drive, how fast you are traveling? I'm sure insurance companies would love to get this kind of real time data. What happens to all of that video that is constantly being monitored by the vehicles operating system? Auto manufacturers state they don't collect that kind of data for upload but how would you know if they do other than their statement "Trust us"? No thank you very much.
    It's true, Tesla collects a lot of data on their products. I don't know exactly how they use all that info, but they claim to use it to help develop their AI and Full Self Driving among other things.

What warning do I get if I'm driving, and I take it out? And is that uploaded back to Tata?
    I don't know if the interior camera can be either removed, disabled or even taped over without it generating some sort of malfunction alert.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Are you confusing private enterprise with governing bodies?

I can't really speak on behalf of the manufacturer, but it's not hard to imagine the liability at stake. There have been some horrendous accidents caused by operators abusing this technology.

In addition, Tesla offers car insurance. They base their rates on the driver's safety behind the wheel, and they can collect lots of data on this.
    Eggman - I'm not sure what you mean. To clarify what I'm saying: I strongly dislike having technology watching me and tattling on me with anything (an alert, an alarm, a text, disabling something). I don't want technology watching or listening to me.

Simultaneously - I more strongly dislike people voluntarily distracting themselves while driving. It is a person's responsibility to NOT distract themselves while driving. I don't think it should be the duty of technology to attempt to make a person be responsible. In my mind, the responsibility lies on the driver not to distract themselves (personal responsibility). And if a person cannot abide by that, and they get caught by law enforcement with phone in hand (however local law might read), said person should be severly punished. Huge fines, all the way to removal of driving privileges.

However, our trusty gobment doesn't do that. In my area, holding a phone to your face while driving gets you about a $60 fine if I remember. When I'm driving and look around, 100% of the females have their phone in their hand, and 50% of the males do. Because laws are generated but then not enforced. Kind of prevalent here in the U.S.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Eggman - I'm not sure what you mean. To clarify what I'm saying: I strongly dislike having technology watching me and tattling on me with anything (an alert, an alarm, a text, disabling something). I don't want technology watching or listening to me.
    Regarding this:
    The thought of such a nanny-state disgusts me.
    References to a 'state' usually indicate a governing body, not a private business. Sorry if I misunderstood you.

Simultaneously - I more strongly dislike people voluntarily distracting themselves while driving. It is a person's responsibility to NOT distract themselves while driving. I don't think it should be the duty of technology to attempt to make a person be responsible. In my mind, the responsibility lies on the driver not to distract themselves (personal responsibility). And if a person cannot abide by that, and they get caught by law enforcement with phone in hand (however local law might read), said person should be severly punished. Huge fines, all the way to removal of driving privileges.

However, our trusty gobment doesn't do that. In my area, holding a phone to your face while driving gets you about a $60 fine if I remember. When I'm driving and look around, 100% of the females have their phone in their hand, and 50% of the males do. Because laws are generated but then not enforced. Kind of prevalent here in the U.S.
    All good points. There's some recently enacted laws in Ohio banning phone use while driving.

I guess some laws are good?

Anyway, Tesla as taken steps to mitigate their liability. They've done this as a private enterprise. Some steps were taken by government mandate, some were not.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I never knew Tesla auto insurance is a thing until now. Interesting fact there, eggman. I wonder what they cover as far as coverage goes…or is it identical to any auto insurance? Remember, I have not met, nor encountered anyone who has a Tesla… in LA!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2023 Mirage G4 SE 1.2 automatic: 43.0 mpg (US) ... 18.3 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.6 mpg (Imp)

Over here in little Germany we haven't been able to drive while even holding a cell phone since 2011.

I forget how to make the quote thing... here's a pdf link that may or may not work: https://www.transportation.alberta.c.../FactSheet.pdf
    "Effective September 1, 2011, restricts drivers from: using hand-held cell phones texting or e-mailing using electronic devices like laptop computers, video games, cameras, video entertainment displays and programming portable audio players (e.g., MP3 players) entering information on GPS units reading printed materials in the vehicle writing, printing or sketching, and personal grooming Complements the current driving without due care and attention legislation Applies to all vehicles as defined by the Traffic Safety Act, including bicycles Applies to all roads in both urban and rural areas of the province The fine for this new offence is $172."

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)