Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mitsu is doing WHAT?!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,716 Times in 2,125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sunbeam View Post
    I doubt any insurance company promise of lowering rates.
    They offer the driving app option, & give you a discount up front if you take it.

Then they use the driving app data to justify raising one's car insurance to a new level that you've never seen before.

The best vehicle is an old one! Drop down to liability insurance only & save money! If you hit a deer, you use salvage yard parts to fix it. Paint the entire car black or some goofy camo pattern & keep driving it!

If you hit someone's brand new Lexus SUV, you're still covered for their vehicles at least.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Fummins (03-13-2024),inuvik (03-13-2024)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    That is clearly illegal. The data about your driving belongs to you unless you previously signed off to share it.

It's yours and you can sue everyone stealing into into dust with the right legal firm

Your privacy rights are being exploited no differently than your personal heath information.

I hope a class action commences over this.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    You made a valid point. I wish I could go liability however in my case for example there would be no protection to myself and my family from uninsured drivers. They’re inevitably everywhere.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2023 Mirage G4 SE 1.2 automatic: 43.0 mpg (US) ... 18.3 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by foama View Post
    Similar situation in the EU.
    There is a recent requirement for automatic accident-reporting on new cars. A collision sensor going off raises an emergency alarm. This became the norm in almost all new vehicles that had a phone-pairing device, long before it was actually needed by mandate. I think Ford was one of the first with phone pairing.

Certain only-electric vehicle makers and some more expensive non-electric vehicles have their own secret SIM for that purpose and phone home to the manufacturer without telling. George Orwell's 1984 is an interesting read, becoming more interesting day by day...

Every Toyota corolla trim, even the base L model has a "hidden SIM" and a 10 year trial for the SOS button and the feature that sends them all your driving data for things like maintenance and diagnostics. I wonder if there is a list of what cars do not include a sim card these days.
    please consider checking out my Mirage related youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6c...IEViRFw/videos

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,827 Times in 2,132 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mohammad View Post
    I wonder if there is a list of what cars do not include a sim card these days.
    Here's two:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

inuvik (03-18-2024)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Maybe that's why the damn Fuel Rewards app keeps asking for (and I keep denying) physical activity monitoring. Guess it's time to just delete the app entirely - not worth the extra 30ish cents a week in gas savings (and I think I can go online to add the discount code I get from T-Mobile directly if I want to.)

I actually don't mind the option to get a rate based on driving habits from a OBDII dongle in the car - I did it once and while I didn't get a ton of savings I got some savings, and it was pretty effortless. I opt out of any option to do the apps, though. The privacy aspect is annoying, but the bigger issue is that it's a pain to deal with all the false trips where it thinks I'm driving but I'm not. This is especially bad for my spouse, who's often riding in the car with me or taking the bus, but often it'll think it's her driving. We did it once about six years ago and it just wasn't worth it. At least with the OBDII sensor it'll clearly only track trips with the insured vehicle, not double-count them, and not count any trips that aren't in the insured vehicle (bus/train, taxi/ridehail, etc.)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2024 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,431 Times in 1,037 Posts
    Eggman - That Jeep looks simply wonderful. Is it yours?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,827 Times in 2,132 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    Eggman - That Jeep looks simply wonderful. Is it yours?
    Yep. It's a 1980 CJ-7. I bought it secondhand back in August 1988 (I think...)

Basic transportation - no computers except when I bring my phone along for a ride.

I thought you knew about this?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Can I have it?

It's actually quite hypocritical of you to own that, whilst also owning a Tata EV. It's like you're slapping yourself in the face. Don't be such a tree cutting hypocrite and just give it to me. I'm willing to help you out.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I mentioned elsewhere that the single most glorious drive I ever took was in a late 80's (or real early 90's) Jeep Wrangler. Bikini top, no doors. 5-speed, 4.0L. It was 1995. We needed some part for our senior project and it was around town. I told the group, I'd go get it but my car is about a 2 mile hike from here. Another guy said, "can you drive a stick?" I said, "yup, my car's a stick."

He said, my Jeep's right out the door if you want to take it to go get it. I said, "boy howdy." And off I went. Across Chattanooga and back. I was maybe 22 or 23 years old. In good shape. Chickie-poos looking at me riding by in the Jeep. The Jeep was flawless. The weather was flawless. It was heaven on earth. I let the guy know how glorious it was. I'll never forget it.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

inuvik (03-18-2024)