Thread: 7500km update

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

7500km update

Hey y'all!

*Dealer lied about "undercoating" my car.. will raise....... Hekkk... Mmm yes I will.

Just did my first tire rotation on the winter set, wear was rather very significant on the front set definitely due for it
    Brakes are still lovely
    No suspension concerns or visible leaks to note.

Oil change from roughly 5000km mobil 1 and some random filter, oil was brown, could see through it still in the light. Glad I changed it, side note oil light stays on for a few seconds after filling the oil then turns off permanently. (Could be normal tho worth mentioning?)

Opted for a charcoal activated cabin air filter
    For 13 bucks Canadian, factory one was like see through ladies underwear.

Nuhuh.

Ran the AC for the first time continuously feels nice getting warm in Toronto.
    Degradation on the CVT fluid is around 1000.

Generally loving this car. And looking forward to the 900,000km+ I'm planning to get out of it

In a couple days I will have completed the first leg on my trip. Already completed 36 hour drive. No oil burn to note.

Transmission pressures are generally .2 MPa off from target 90% of the time by my estimation. No real wonky "shifting" since the transmission has broken itself in.

Engine temps generally between 87 and 96 Celsius
    Transmission varies considerably but given the low ambient temps hover around 75-90c cools down rather quick, although I am not noticing the transmission cooler/heater warming up the transmission any faster than just ambient? ie no flow to a hot exchange.

It takes ages to warm up the tranny, but I notice from idling or sitting in park it cools the trans to around 50 if you sit long enough.

New oil added: Mobil super synthetic 0w-20
    "Good" oil filter didn't get the name.
    Filter for the cabin now has a different smell than the factory, but I guess that the cleaner charcoal air smell?
    We'll see.

Odd thing, the EPS (electric power steering) sometimes gets hard to turn, I had the mechanic test my battery and charging, he said charging is okay, but battery is around 50 percent? Cvtz50 reads to modules 13.5v or lower on idle? I've gotten a warning once for it reaching 12v while on, I am wondering if I got a bad battery? Dealer said they want 75 to diag if the issue isn't just a battery top up related. I will have the battery charged before I complete 3600 trip again and report further.

Fuel consumption is honestly phenomenal.

50-60km an hour between 2 liters per 100 km to 3.5 bumps into the 4s- to the 6's briefly going up hill, around certain times it reaches 7 per 100 when idling all the time
    80 is a cool 4-5liters/100km essentially. 100k/hr + is around 4.8-6 liters/100km

Going down hill coasting no throttle it's about .8 liters/100km

I probably forgot somethings or messed some numbers up.

But hey, yes I am alive, and the car is doing well. 🤣

SIMPLIFY THEN ADD LIGHTNESS.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 2024mirage For This Useful Post:

Fummins (03-13-2024),inuvik (03-13-2024)

I wonder how they tested your battery. Did they give you a reason as to what they meant by 50%? I'd wonder if they just guessed that it was a 550-600cca rated battery and the test showed it puts out 300cca. I think the oem battery is only rated at around 350cca new. They're weak.
    What do you mean by the power steering gets stiff? When driving, parked, engine off?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,717 Times in 2,126 Posts
    I'm quite impressed with the Mirage factory battery. My Mirage was built in January of 2017 making the factory battery 7+ years old. For a battery that's only rated 356 CCA from the start, it's been quite amazing!

Country
    Poland
    Thanks
    side note oil light stays on for a few seconds after filling the oil then turns off permanently. (Could be normal tho worth mentioning?)
    Yes, it's normal after oil change, the oil needs to fill up the filter and build up pressure, few seconds is OK.

About the battery, my Mitsu is 2 year old, mostly driven on short distances, parking outside etc. I noticed during winter time it would crank a bit harder, gave it a full charge but still I am a bit concerned. Happened to me once or twice that when I cranked it I could notice like 1 second delay before reaction of the starter - weird, never had it in any car I owned before.
    Also, being connected to OBD via EML on bluetooth and observing live data - the charging behave weirdly. In every car I had so far, the charging (volts) would go up together with revs - here, not the case. I can see sometimes values like 11.2V on idle. I can see it charges nicely - max 13.5V when going downhill or slowing down with no throttle and using engine to slow down - somewhat it reminds me electric car and their recuperation systems to charge batteries - has anyone observed something similar?
    I will report it to the stealership on my next visit late April/early May - let's see what they say but something is definitely not OK - when on idle, lights on, brakes on - I can see the display literally slightly blinking

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2021 Space Star Intense SDA 1.2 automatic: 34.5 mpg (US) ... 14.7 km/L ... 6.8 L/100 km ... 41.4 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bunio14 View Post
    Yes, it's normal after oil change, the oil needs to fill up the filter and build up pressure, few seconds is OK.

About the battery, my Mitsu is 2 year old, mostly driven on short distances, parking outside etc. I noticed during winter time it would crank a bit harder, gave it a full charge but still I am a bit concerned. Happened to me once or twice that when I cranked it I could notice like 1 second delay before reaction of the starter - weird, never had it in any car I owned before.
    Also, being connected to OBD via EML on bluetooth and observing live data - the charging behave weirdly. In every car I had so far, the charging (volts) would go up together with revs - here, not the case. I can see sometimes values like 11.2V on idle. I can see it charges nicely - max 13.5V when going downhill or slowing down with no throttle and using engine to slow down - somewhat it reminds me electric car and their recuperation systems to charge batteries - has anyone observed something similar?
    I will report it to the stealership on my next visit late April/early May - let's see what they say but something is definitely not OK - when on idle, lights on, brakes on - I can see the display literally slightly blinking
    I'm pretty sure those voltages indicate a battery that's crapping out. Voltage should be higher than that

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2023 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.1 mpg (US) ... 18.7 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 52.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Poland
    Thanks
    2 years and it would be dead? That would be my worst result ever! I will try to use the multimeter and check things out instead the OBD

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2021 Space Star Intense SDA 1.2 automatic: 34.5 mpg (US) ... 14.7 km/L ... 6.8 L/100 km ... 41.4 mpg (Imp)