Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Free dealer oil change or DIY

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    I have done all my own since 1960.

Tell the dealer you want to watch them do it at least the first time. See what happens. Do it yourself if they pump the old excuse about insurance.

Guarantee they are not gonna put the best guy in the shop on oil changes...

Karl

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CROSSBOLT View Post
    I have done all my own since 1960.

Tell the dealer you want to watch them do it at least the first time. See what happens. Do it yourself if they pump the old excuse about insurance.

Guarantee they are not gonna put the best guy in the shop on oil changes...
    Yea. Went for my first one and they didn’t do it best. I gave them a negative feedback and Mitsu motor was not happy lol

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2023 Mirage G4 SE 1.2 automatic: 43.0 mpg (US) ... 18.3 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Poland
    Thanks
    Let me add my 2 cents here.
    My Mitsu is still on warranty and they never offered me free oil change, yet to keep the warranty I use their services. In order to lower their stealership prices I bring my own filter and oil of my choice (yes, I know in your case it's free) so they charge me only for the labor and put "customer parts" on the invoice. The interval is 20k km, I change it myself every other 10k km using exactly same filter so they would never tell the difference (like they even care). So I do keep the warranty and have it changed more often than recommended by Mitsubishi exactly as Tommyptr suggested

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2021 Space Star Intense SDA 1.2 automatic: 34.5 mpg (US) ... 14.7 km/L ... 6.8 L/100 km ... 41.4 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by bunio14 View Post
    My Mitsu is still on warranty and they never offered me free oil change, yet to keep the warranty I use their services. In order to lower their stealership prices I bring my own filter and oil of my choice (yes, I know in your case it's free) so they charge me only for the labor and put "customer parts" on the invoice. The interval is 20k km, I change it myself every other 10k km using exactly same filter so they would never tell the difference (like they even care). So I do keep the warranty and have it changed more often than recommended by Mitsubishi exactly as Tommyptr suggested
    I'm curious as to how long your warranty is for. Here we get 10year 160,000km powertrain warranty. Service intervals are either 12,000km for "normal" use and 6000kms for "severe" use. The severe category applies to the majority of Canada.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    If the service center answers my call next week, I'll get it done there. I called this week to schedule an appointment, but there was no answer. Maybe they were at lunch, who knows. One of the main reasons I bought it was because of the warranty, so I definitely want to keep that intact.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2024 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 43.6 mpg (US) ... 18.5 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Poland
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I'm curious as to how long your warranty is for. Here we get 10year 160,000km powertrain warranty. Service intervals are either 12,000km for "normal" use and 6000kms for "severe" use. The severe category applies to the majority of Canada.
    In my case it's - quoting Mitsubishi's website - 5 years, 2 first years with no limits and next 3 years with 100,000 km limits. Perforation warranty is for 12 years. Service intervals 20,000km or every 12 months for normal use, can't remember the severe one.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2021 Space Star Intense SDA 1.2 automatic: 34.5 mpg (US) ... 14.7 km/L ... 6.8 L/100 km ... 41.4 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to bunio14 For This Useful Post:

Fummins (03-18-2024)

In my case it's - quoting Mitsubishi's website - 5 years, 2 first years with no limits and next 3 years with 100,000 km limits. Perforation warranty is for 12 years. Service intervals 20,000km or every 12 months for normal use, can't remember the severe one.
    Interesting.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,717 Times in 2,126 Posts
    I think it's wise to cut the oil change interval in half like you are doing. 20,000 km (12,427 miles) seems like a long time.

Country
    Poland
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I think it's wise to cut the oil change interval in half like you are doing. 20,000 km (12,427 miles) seems like a long time.
    Fully agree, I was once watching a guy that was making some oil lab tests after 2,000; 4,000km etc and no matter which oil he used (top brands, premium, different viscosity) they pretty much were loosing all of their properties over 10,000km - he was checking acidity, sulfur levels and tons of other stuff - it was just an oily soup, nothing else.
    It makes me laugh when I see the long-life oils. In my other car - Citroen with diesel engine the service interval is 30,000km!! On top of that they do not mention oil change in the tranny at all... Well, it's a simple math, you will kill the car earlier so you will either call them to fix it or buy a new one. And then we will listen to all the eco-BS while there are mountains of scrapped cars, engines and other parts. Try to kill the good old cast iron V8 that you could easily hone couple of times if needed and compare it to 1.0 turbo eco-boom engines

11. The Following User Says Thank You to bunio14 For This Useful Post:

Fummins (03-19-2024)

Yep, and many are such a pita to work on it's not worth paying for even something that should be a simple repair. I replaced 3 heater motors recently after people were quoted $1000-1500 by shops and dealers to repair.