Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Free dealer oil change or DIY

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Considering I just used my first free oil change today, I'm definitely of the mind to use it. Receipt shows they used 0/20W SYN BULK (MZ320375) so they use the factory recommended oil at White Bear. Pretty smooth overall - scheduled online and half hour in and out including taking a few pictures for some paint issues that they need to reach out to Mitsubishi about. The sticker said to come in at 3000, I came in at just over 2600 and they had no issues with it. Replacement sticker said next interval is 5000 more miles, but I'll try to do it a bit earlier to work my way to even 5k odometer oil change cycles.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2024 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,717 Times in 2,126 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jebr View Post
    Considering I just used my first free oil change today, I'm definitely of the mind to use it. Receipt shows they used 0/20W SYN BULK (MZ320375) so they use the factory recommended oil at White Bear. Pretty smooth overall - scheduled online and half hour in and out including taking a few pictures for some paint issues that they need to reach out to Mitsubishi about. The sticker said to come in at 3000, I came in at just over 2600 and they had no issues with it. Replacement sticker said next interval is 5000 more miles, but I'll try to do it a bit earlier to work my way to even 5k odometer oil change cycles.
    That's what I would do. I would have the 2nd one done @ 6,000 miles, & third one done @ 10,000 miles. You could do 5,000 OCI from that point forward!

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    If I could find a guy who would take better care of my equipment than I can, I'd use him. As I find that unlikely. I do my own. Until I can't get off the ground and that may be sooner than I'd hope.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Grumpy Bear For This Useful Post:

foama (03-21-2024)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Speaking of engine oil, I have a question. Anyone is welcome to answer.

would an opened-in-2020-but-never-used 3 quarts of 5W-30 Mobil 1 synthetic oil be a bad idea to use for my next oil change? I do have 3 qtr of 0w-20 synthetic Mobil oil unopened but would rather use 5w-30 first (it just sits in dark storage room outside) and then do another oil change 3k miles later. Thought?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2023 Mirage G4 SE 1.2 automatic: 43.0 mpg (US) ... 18.3 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by defensivetackle99 View Post

would an opened-in-2020-but-never-used 3 quarts of 5W-30 Mobil 1 synthetic oil be a bad idea to use for my next oil change? I do have 3 qtr of 0w-20 synthetic Mobil oil unopened but would rather use 5w-30 first (it just sits in dark storage room outside) and then do another oil change 3k miles later. Thought?
    I would do it. But I'm cheap, I drive a mirage ;-)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2023 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.1 mpg (US) ... 18.7 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 52.9 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BigMW For This Useful Post:

Eggman (03-21-2024),mohammad (03-22-2024)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,431 Times in 1,037 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigMW View Post
    I would do it. But I'm cheap, I drive a mirage ;-)
    Oh yeah, I'd run that 2020 opened oil too. But I'm extra cheap, I might run it 7,500 miles!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

BigMW (03-22-2024)

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Bear View Post
    If I could find a guy who would take better care of my equipment than I can, I'd use him. As I find that unlikely. I do my own. Until I can't get off the ground and that may be sooner than I'd hope.
    I thought I read a post of yours that said you had a shop service one of your vehicles.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I thought I read a post of yours that said you had a shop service one of your vehicles.
    You read correctly. And I also said if I could find a guy....and I did. He is now working for someone else so back to doing my own.

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Are you saying you opened the cap then put it back on without dispensing any? Or you opened the case but not the bottles?

Either way, if the bottles are full and caps were on tight give them a good shaking, like you would a can of spray paint, before use. Some additive settling happens over time. Most oils have a 5 year shelf life.

The one that drops out easy is the antifoam. Most use silicone. Foamy oil makes a poor lubricant. If unsure, don't use it. Rods and mains get unhappy and cost more than oil.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,717 Times in 2,126 Posts

I'm not saying this is best practice, but I would use 2 quarts of old oil & 1 quart new stuff for the next oil change. Shaking up the bottles before pouring them in is a good suggestion.

The next oil change after that, I would use up the remaining one quart of old oil & two new quarts of new.

I know one is 0W-20 & one is 5W-30, but that wouldn't stop me. When I decided to switch over to 5W-30 oil for good, I mixed in some 0W-20 oil that I had leftover. My Mirage never said anything to me about it.