Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Possible safety issue atm

cvt connoisseur, of sorts OrganicFoxes's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks

Exclamation Possible safety issue atm

Currently have had a passenger seat occupancy sensor code ever since juice was spilled all over the seat. Was intermittent at first, sometimes if you moved around in the seat it would go off, just stays on now. I tried disconnecting connectors and plugging them back in many times, no help.

I went to a junk yard and bought a seat that was pretty nasty for 30 bucks, just to tear it down and see what I'm working with. Yeah that sensor pad is IMPOSSIBLE to replace, I mean I have torn down whole iphones and put them back together but struggled with this seat. If you can even get it apart without breaking or tearing anything, the sensor is GLUED to the foam on the seat. (also swapped in the seat occupancy sensor module into mine just because, didn't do anything)

You really HAVE to buy a new seat to fix this. One in good condition are around 100 to 200 dollars. Cost aside, there are SO MANY seat patterns for the mirage on different trim levels and years. Would be kinda expensive to even get the seat and find a good one, let alone try to find one with the same material pattern of my 2017 SE.

I am now starting to think, it doesn't say on the ceiling that the passenger air bag is off though? So even if it doesn't know if someone is sitting there, with the seatbelt on will it still go off in an accident, or is my passenger just ****ed? Will any of the SRS system even function with a fault in it?

If anyone for some reason can answer about my pretty niche questions, or have any insight or knowledge about this, would be appreciated.

some of my family (that already doesn't like the mirage, because of safety) now refuses to ride in the car with that airbag light on hahahahha

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 47.9 mpg (US) ... 20.4 km/L ... 4.9 L/100 km ... 57.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    You could buy a seat with different pattern, and just use covers to make seats match. Just an idea

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2023 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.1 mpg (US) ... 18.7 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 52.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,827 Times in 2,132 Posts
    The 2015 service manual has a calibration procedure for occupancy sensors. Maybe your answer lies there?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

BigMW (03-22-2024)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,431 Times in 1,037 Posts
    OF - I did seat development for Toyota. And I had exposure to crash testing. As far as safety is concerned, if a passenger or driver is wearing their seatbelt, a front airbag has a fairly minimal contribution to keeping a passenger alive. A properly worn seatbelt is 90% of the solution (something like that).

As for the annoyance of the system ... it's been a while, but instead of ripping the sensor assembly off the cushion, perhaps you could swap the whole cushion assembly from one seat to another. Keeping the seat frame and seat cushion trim cover from the original seat. I don't remember the exactness of the attachment. But I remember it was a series of hog-rings and J-clips. You'd probably want to buy or borrow a hog-ring gun. I would imagine in your disassembly of the seat you bought, you ran into hog-rings, so you know what I'm talking about. Quite a pain, but very effective. Oh and there are steel "wires" inside the molded foam. The hog-rings are not just snagging foam, they're snagging those wires that can be felt but not seen.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

inuvik (03-23-2024),mohammad (03-22-2024)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Bigmw & 7miles may have your solution. Just put the pad / sensor assy on your seat frame & reinstall the original cover. By the way, this is what "hog rings" & the pliers look like if your not familiar with the term...
    https://www.amazon.ca/Straight-Galva...66288233&psc=1

Just thoughts...
    I didn't know what to do, so I didn't do anything

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 37.3 mpg (US) ... 15.9 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 44.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,717 Times in 2,126 Posts
    I have nothing to add as far as what you should do.

Rock Auto still offers Dash Design custom made seat covers. For whatever reason, they are cheaper through rockauto.com even though they come shipped from the factory.

I've had a pair of their two-tone neoprene front seat covers for years now.

My airbags have been out of service since last June. I'm usually more concerned about smafety stuff but my only passengers ride in the back anyways.
    I'd rather not have a passenger dash airbag go off as a passenger, the cover usually smashes the windshield sending glass all over.

I'm sure there was a thread/post about someone having the same issue and just changed the pad itself. I think I took one apart and was able to remove the pad/sensor too. I spilled a coffee all over mine, soaked up what I could then managed to clear the code for good weeks later.
    I might need a new occupancy sensor and module for my car. I have no idea if any of that stuff is any good cause my main airbag module is nfg.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    As others have said, it is questionable the safety contribution of the airbags.

There is a growing body of data showing the problems with them.

Also worth mentioning, the propellant that is contained in airbags is highly toxic so in an accident when the airbag deploys you inhale many toxic fumes.

I dont get who came up with the idea that a bag hitting an occupant is safer, the seatbelt should restrain you from hitting the dashboard.

Was in a crash (not driving) where the airbag damaged me more than anything else.

Furthermore, I cannot understand why you would want airbags in car seats, having explosive charges next to your lower areas seems like a recipe for disaster.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,543 Times in 1,475 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OrganicFoxes View Post
    Will any of the SRS system even function with a fault in it?
    That's a good question.

It wasn't clear in your original post...is the SRS warning light illuminated on your instrument panel at all times now?

Name:  srs_light.jpg
Views: 96
Size:  92.4 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

Eggman (03-22-2024)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,717 Times in 2,126 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sunbeam View Post
    As others have said, it is questionable the safety contribution of the airbags.

There is a growing body of data showing the problems with them.

Also worth mentioning, the propellant that is contained in airbags is highly toxic so in an accident when the airbag deploys you inhale many toxic fumes.

I dont get who came up with the idea that a bag hitting an occupant is safer, the seatbelt should restrain you from hitting the dashboard.

Was in a crash (not driving) where the airbag damaged me more than anything else.

Furthermore, I cannot understand why you would want airbags in car seats, having explosive charges next to your lower areas seems like a recipe for disaster.
    I would feel safer being in a vehicle without air bags & wearing my seat belt. Too many nasty air bag recalls have made me lose faith in them.

I don't miss the short period of automatic seat belts, however. You start the car they come at you! It makes it very tricky if you just bought an ice cream cone & hop back into the car & start it. Speaking from experience!

They also release when the door is opened. I've open my door a few times to see where I was backing a few times, and the seat belt mechanism would hit me in the back of the head. It was not a pleasant experience, & I was dumb enough to do it more than once in my tiny little 1990 Ford Festiva. There was a short time period where cars had to have either auto belts or air bags. I rather not have either.