Thread: Made rear wheel covers for fun

cvt connoisseur, of sorts OrganicFoxes's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks

Cool Made rear wheel covers for fun

So I cut out these panels in the attached picture, was pretty simple. This was mainly just for fun and not for any real long term or practical use but did have surprising results. I got the best gas mileage I've ever achieved in this car on a really common route I take.

Traffic did not seem any lighter then normal, I went 5 miles in the city and then 40 on the freeway. Managed 65.3mpg on a route where I can really only see 61mpg at max. I have driven on this route for over 2 years now and have never seen numbers this high, did not drive any different and the traffic seemed very average for the area.

I do not really know much about this modification and the amount of efficiency you gain from this but the results did surprise me. Was thinking it could be a coincidence but even on the some what long ish freeway trip the avg mileage was hovering 2 to 3mpg more then it usually does in the conditions I was in. I think I am going to play around with these panels on the car for a little longer, maybe even on the 700 mile trip I do now and then. Again it's really just for fun.(don't worry about the paint, I use alcohol to remove the tape carefully)

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by OrganicFoxes; 03-31-2024 at 07:05 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 47.9 mpg (US) ... 20.4 km/L ... 4.9 L/100 km ... 57.5 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OrganicFoxes For This Useful Post:

BigMW (03-31-2024),inuvik (03-31-2024)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,828 Times in 2,133 Posts
    Nice work. What was your inspiration for trying this?

Here's more aero-mod inspiration from forum Admin MetroMPG:

Mirage aero mods for better fuel economy: 4.5% improvement @ 90 km/h / 56 mph

Aeroplast

MetroMPG has been doing this for a while now:
    Wired: DIY 'Boat Tail' Gives Little Car Big Fuel Economy

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

cvt connoisseur, of sorts OrganicFoxes's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Nice work. What was your inspiration for trying this?

Here's more aero-mod inspiration from forum Admin MetroMPG:

Mirage aero mods for better fuel economy: 4.5% improvement @ 90 km/h / 56 mph

Aeroplast

MetroMPG has been doing this for a while now:
    Wired: DIY 'Boat Tail' Gives Little Car Big Fuel Economy
    Took inspiration from cars like the Honda Insight and the VW XL1. Kinda wish we had more cars with the main focus and styling being fuel economy. I mean I have never heard anyone not like cars like that, if anything its considered cool. (besides the prius, until now)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 47.9 mpg (US) ... 20.4 km/L ... 4.9 L/100 km ... 57.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,828 Times in 2,133 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OrganicFoxes View Post
    Kinda wish we had more cars with the main focus and styling being fuel economy. I mean I have never heard anyone not like cars like that, if anything its considered cool. (besides the prius, until now)
    I agree. Innovation and technological advancements are usually celebrated & rewarded!

Over time, things change. Trends point to continued efficiency gains for transport - if nothing else it makes sound economic sense.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

OrganicFoxes (04-01-2024)