Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mitsubishi dealer experience for a Mirage DE w/ C.V.T. at $15,000 sticker price

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Mitsubishi dealer experience for a Mirage DE w/ C.V.T. at $15,000 sticker price

Went to dealer to see what our trade is worth and were very disappointed . They deducted the $1,000 factory rebate and additional $1,000 from the trade in value they offered , leaving us to pay the full price , not going to happen . E-mailed them back with trade in values from KBB , NADA , and EDMUNDS. KBB and NADA being $900 higher than they're number and NADA lower by about $400 . Haven't heard a word . Hope this isn't a standard practice at other Mitsubishi dealers . If so , won't help the sales .

Last edited by cinder; 03-31-2014 at 03:48 AM.

Country
    Switzerland
    Thanks
    ^^sounds expensive.

I would suggest you wait and let them come to you, what they will. It's a game of patience and they are trained to play it tough.

The trade-in should not be part of the price negotiations, which they will try to make it. I had better experience with selling my car via craigslist.
    Emailing price is also risky, since you there then exists a documented price.
    Tell them instead what out-of-the-door price you want and start rather low :-)
    Then leave and let them call you.

Good luck.
    Some in this forum got really got deals on their Mirages.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.8 mpg (US) ... 20.3 km/L ... 4.9 L/100 km ... 57.3 mpg (Imp)

Why not just sell your trade-in privately? That way -- regardless of where you buy your replacement car -- you remove a big variable that dealers like to play with.

I have never traded car on the purchase of another one. A straight up purchase is the best way to ensure you're getting the best price you can.

EDIT: jinx! Posted at the same time as Donut, but he hit "submit" first.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    If anything rebates should be added to the trade, not subtracted!

Only reason iv seen dealers low ball on trades is for a slow selling vehicle. VW suvs come to mind. They dont sell in the used market making them more of a trouble then a gain. Where as a nice Silverado or Escape greatly hold there value and have strong holds in the used market making them more desirable as trade ins. Just my .02 after years of selling cars!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I've had better experiences trading my car in to Carmax. Saw that carmax paid a good 1k-2k more than dealerships.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    what car are you trading in?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    '08 Toyota Yaris base model sedan w/ 4 speed auto .

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Got a e-mail back and not going to happen . Only $1.000 more on the trade . Bummer .

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Trade in value is going to be REALLY difficult to "estimate" off any type of "publshed value" since that publications value depends HIGHLY on the overall quality of the vehicle.
    What a "typical person" may see as "normal wear and tear" a dealership/mechanic won't.
    I was HIGHLY shocked to even get 600 trade in for my '99 buick century custom KNOWING that the highest resell of it is 1500 right now for the simple fact that it had peeling acrylic gloss, scratches, tar damage on the exterior, TONS of stains (2yo's) on the inside, seat ripped off the stability mounts to gain access to the trunk when I accidentally locked my tools/keys in the trunk doing laundry one day (figures) 1 working window out of four, a stuck open blend door on my ac, and a leaking manifold gasket all sitting on shocks that hadn't been changed in 110K miles, and tires that were at about 1mm tread.
    As for the intake problem on THAT particular engine once the intake fails it's literally a ticking time bomb for the heads to crack a gasket/break due to the aluminum heads sitting on an iron block which can't take even the SLIGHTEST hint of an overheat due to the silicates in the Dex-Cool coolant.
    I personally wouldn't have paid 200 bucks for that car off a junkyard lot to fix it up just because the head work alone would cost me 150 in parts plus an entire weekend of disassembling the ENTIRE intake manifold, and engine while sitting on a cherry picker, plus I'd have to replace the water pump, radiator hoses, possibly the radiator, flush and clean the heads, possibly re-machine the heads, get a new gasket, install it, and also do the work on the intake manifold...just FAR too much work to care about.
    **Double Edit** also had two blown speakers in the back, and two "aftermarket" 6.5" speakers installed into the front door with the "grill" ripped off the door trims o the speakers were visible. Additionally the doors couldn't be locked since I only had the ignition key and the alarm fob stopped responding after my wife (genius she is) crammed a fkn key into the trunk switch when the old battery died and stripped the PCB.

Some dealerships have good partnerships with junkyards, and others don't. It's a crapshoot, but if you have the time to invest in playing the game you can come out on top with some smarts.
    Some dealerships will "do you a solid" while others simply couldn't care less about your business. Find a dealership that's around you that actually cares about its customers, and don't think that just because it's a new car the ONLY place you'll find it is a mitsubishi dealer. a LOT of GM shops carry foreigns now a day for some reason that I'm completely unaware of.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 36.2 mpg (US) ... 15.4 km/L ... 6.5 L/100 km ... 43.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    In our case, it wasn't technically a direct trade-in; the dealership had a ready buyer for our 10-year old Mitsubishi, and part of the proceeds from that transaction served as the downpayment for our Mirage. The rest of the amount was secured via bank loan.

Don't knock drunk guys in bars; it means they're not driving. -- Richard Gere, Runaway Bride