Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: 2024 Total solar Eclipse

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,433 Times in 1,039 Posts
    The Space Odyssey movie song. I forget the name of the friggin movie. From the 70's or early 80's.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    It's at its max here now. I'm still alive. So far.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

inuvik (04-09-2024),MetroMPG (04-11-2024)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Today's the day! It's showtime.

What's your soundtrack for an eclipse? I'm thinking Black Hole Sun by Soundgarden.
    Lol, that has been playing in my head all weekend

So it came and went. Everything was as expected. Got dark, got light. Lasted 3-4 minutes
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    The Space Odyssey movie song. I forget the name of the friggin movie. From the 70's or early 80's.
    The movie where HAL9000 goes bezerk and they have to lobotomize him? I love that movie

2001: A Space Odyssey
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,828 Times in 2,133 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post
    So it came and went. Everything was as expected. Got dark, got light. Lasted 3-4 minutes
    Stupid eclipse. During totality the eclipse glasses blocked the show so I took them off. I got to enjoy a total eclipse for 3 minutes & 44 seconds. Right at the end I put the glasses back on - couldn't see anything so I took them off right at the moment the sun came out of the shadow and I got blasted. Duh.

But what an amazing experience - to see a gray ring in the afternoon sky with streetlights on all around and two planets visible despite the high altitude, wispy cloud cover. It makes me want to travel to experience the next total eclipse, wherever it lands.

Simply amazing.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (04-11-2024)

Business Up Front Johnny Mullet's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Man what an awesome experience that was right in my own yard! I will never forget it.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Johnny Mullet For This Useful Post:

inuvik (04-09-2024),MetroMPG (04-11-2024)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,828 Times in 2,133 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommyptr View Post
    I'll chime in here... I've been doing a lot of research on why all the hooplah over this eclipse, instead of prior eclipses, most in the past were suppose to be fun events, go outside, have a good time looking at the moon/sun ect... but this time national guard are out, even some states have/will declare State Emergencies.. there are also weird events like CERN firing up, and NASA sending rockets into space during the eclipse...

I don't know about CERN or NASA other than some conspiracy theories saying they are doing 'rituals'... but lets stick with some interesting facts.

**In 2017... a Major drop in temperature was experienced. Totality was 2:30 apx minutes long, and thus a drop in temperature during the event of 25 or so degrees was felt. Since this one is lasting 4:30 in some areas, I would expect a drop in some areas to be in excess of 45 degrees (due to lack of sunlight). It would be wise to wear a coat if you are outside watching it... if you are in the north like Maine, this drop could be substancial (if its 40 degrees, it could go to 0 or even -10 ect). I do not see any media reporting this...

**In 1811, a similar eclipse was experienced, and even wrote about by Thomas Jefferson. Its totality was said to last about 5 minutes, so its very similar to our 4:30. More than 300 earthquakes were experienced in the United States on that day, must be due to the gravitation pull of the moon affecting earth. Perhaps, this is why national guards are on stand by, state of emergencies are declared, even schools are closed that day. I will add, that there was not an electrical infrastructure in those days, so perhaps even some electric grids could be affected if there were significant damage.

I am going to throw this in, there are conspiracy theories that an electrical disturbance may be felt during this eclipse... not sure if true or not, and most likely not, but the earth quake story seems to fit why all the caution... make sure gas tanks are full, make sure you have a little extra food on hand ect like some reports are telling people. An overboard measure would be do shut down your fuse boxes (If possible) 15 minutes before the major event happens... if there are electrical shocks to the system, it could start fires at the junction box points, but that could be overkill... however none of this electrical junk existed in 1811, so who knows.
    Local evening news has reported temperatures dropped anywhere between 5℉ to 11℉. The electrical grid has held up and no major traffic jams or earthquakes have been reported for today. Beautiful weather though.

At least locally. Not sure about other locations.
    Last edited by Eggman; 04-08-2024 at 11:19 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    My dog is smart enough not to stare at the sun. My neighbor isn't.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Grumpy Bear For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (04-11-2024)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,717 Times in 2,126 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Bear View Post
    My dog is smart enough not to stare at the sun. My neighbor isn't.
    I would have used my welding helmet, but I don't own one (or a welder for that matter).

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

mohammad (04-09-2024)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I'm still alive.