Thread: possibly cheap "eco" mags

Country
    Australia
    Thanks

possibly cheap "eco" mags

So the car that my mirage replaced was an ae82 toyota corolla seca, which I'm not really missing it at all! .

the corolla however had a set of factory alloy wheels which may prove to be a decent straight swap for the mirage which MAY give better fuel economy.

Name:  01042013315.jpg
Views: 537
Size:  55.9 KB

the wheels are pcd 4x100, 14 x 5 offset 45 and have a quite flat face. might be a cheap junkyard pick for those that don't have alloys.

the current tyres are 175/65/14 goodyears which will give +2.28% speed variance. I'm thinking about whacking them on for a fuel fill to see if they make any marked improvement to economy.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Mirage ES Sport 1.2 manual: 42.9 mpg (US) ... 18.2 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dumpchook View Post
    So the car that my mirage replaced was an ae82 toyota corolla seca, which I'm not really missing it at all! .

the corolla however had a set of factory alloy wheels which may prove to be a decent straight swap for the mirage which MAY give better fuel economy.

Name:  01042013315.jpg
Views: 537
Size:  55.9 KB

the wheels are pcd 4x100, 14 x 5 offset 45 and have a quite flat face. might be a cheap junkyard pick for those that don't have alloys.

the current tyres are 175/65/14 goodyears which will give +2.28% speed variance. I'm thinking about whacking them on for a fuel fill to see if they make any marked improvement to economy.
    Unfortunately here in the states thats a pretty rare bird. Although I like those rims for some strange reason. Probably the same reason Ive been looking at vintage rims for the mirage. Where everyone is going to a larger rim with more lugs(my moms saturn ion has 16" rims stock and even civics have gone 5 lug) its harder to find stock rims that will fit this little monster. Im still up in the air about rims as I want lighter, wider, and more full rims than the stock steelies. Unfortunately general chemistry and physics makes that damn near impossible to find in a price range that's reasonable for a car I bought for 10000 usd.

Neat wheels!

Quote Originally Posted by Dumpchook View Post
    the current tyres are 175/65/14 goodyears
    They look smooth. But don't forget you're probably also changing rolling resistance by going with another tire, and the 10cm increase in width isn't a lot, but it will increase frontal area and drag coefficient slightly, countering the aero benefit of the wheel itself.

Also - how will you know if the wheel change has any effect? If you look at your fuel usage, there's probably already a fair amount of variability from tank to tank.

I don't mean to be negative, just realistic.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Australia
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Neat wheels!

They look smooth. But don't forget you're probably also changing rolling resistance by going with another tire, and the 10cm increase in width isn't a lot, but it will increase frontal area and drag coefficient slightly, countering the aero benefit of the wheel itself.

Also - how will you know if the wheel change has any effect? If you look at your fuel usage, there's probably already a fair amount of variability from tank to tank.

My mirage came with 175 profile 15" wheels.
    Standard on the top spec

Ah, I forgot. Those wheels haven't made it across the pond yet.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I drove an AE82, 2door hatch, which I actually do miss.

I was stupid at the time and got rid of it after tranny issues. It had 80k miles on her, 1 owner (grandma). I should have garaged it and did a 5spd swap on it later.

Those wheels are, in fact, rare here. Not even sure if they came from the factory or imported in.

Country
    Australia
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Neat wheels!

didn't realise they would be a rare find in the US!

this was the other reason I was wanting to whack them on, the current tyres on the old rims are good year regattas which while not a performance tyre are more of an allrounder tyre, while they would have a higher rolling resistance, it will be interesting to see how the mirage performs with extra grip.

my mirage came with stock alloys, which im happy with the look of, just using the opportunity to try something different without an outlay of cost, will probably run the old rolla mags for 2 fills then chuck the stock wheels back on.

I do agree that plastic eco covers are the way to go if you want extra economy.

edit: well that was a short test! the wheel centre/hub centre on the mirage is slightly larger than that of the corolla! would only have been a few mm, cant measure exactly as I dont have any verniers available.

they would have looked alright though, would have been reminiscent of the volkswagen beetle with dragway mags look i reckon.

at least i got to test out the emergency jack and toolkit!

Last edited by Dumpchook; 04-01-2014 at 10:51 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Mirage ES Sport 1.2 manual: 42.9 mpg (US) ... 18.2 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.5 mpg (Imp)