Thread: G4 Strut compatibility and availability

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

G4 Strut compatibility and availability

Hello everyone.

I've been looking around for strut assemblies for a 2018 mirage g4. Something I've found is that the hatchback and g4 sedan do not seem to share struts, as there are different part numbers for each. Is there anyone who can confirm that hatchback struts do not in fact fit the g4 sedan? There are plenty of aftermarket options for the hatchback, but I have had exactly no luck when shopping for the sedan, so if somebody could confirm or deny that they are interchangeable, I would appreciate it.

Additionally, if they are not interchangeable, could someone point me in a good direction for where to find g4 strut assemblies, I would appreciate that as well

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I looked into this pretty heave a while back. There realy nothing in this forum i found helpful. From what i founf on the part # differences, from the various hatchback & g4 part #'s was a heavier kg spring rating. The higher the part # the higher the spring rate. The g4 cvt (cant remember the sub-model) was the heaviest spring rate.

I should have written that down when i found it.

Everyone seems to want to lower these cars. If your looking for that Godspeed seems to be the go to.
    If you're in my situation & live in an area with rough roads & deeply groved gravel Road & constantly have problems dragging the cradle, the only solution I've found is rear springs from a late 90's early 2000's vw beetle & buying the heaviest spring rate coils for the front or machining a strut plate spacer.

I've not yet found anyone who has an interchange for this car to give more options aside from the rear suspension.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Ketsair For This Useful Post:

Eggman (04-06-2024)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I appreciate it. I mainly need to replace the front struts because the car is pulling to the left and after firestone alligned it, they said it was still going to pull unless I replace the struts and control arm. I'm going to call their bluff and swap the front tires to see if that fixes it. If not, I may have to broaden my options a bit.

Thanks again!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    A few parts suppliers to check out for a used knee assembly (strut, hub/knuckle, & lower control arm) are lkq, car-part.com(altho, it doesn't seem shops there update their stock) or row52.com.(row52 gives a listing of self service salvage yards you can search online for your car) the self service salvage yard prices are stupid cheap. Example, a whole door assembly was $75.

If you're around Atlanta Ga, Tallant Bros Salvage has a 17 G4 with a cherry front end on it, 30k miles. I just got a 5 speed from it.

Finally, im very disturbed by how many alignment shops have no idea what they're doing. (Set the toe & let it go) I've had them tell me i needed a whole new front suspension both sides when i just had a shifted cradle. Just needed to loosen and re-center the cradle, no parts needed.
    Also camber seems to be a common issue on these little cars. $20 camber bolt kit is usually enough to resolve that. (I wouldn't wallow out the strut mount holes, its more likely to move back out of camber alignment, buy the bolt kit instead)

Also, always get the alignment printout. If an alignment shop can't give me the printout, i find another shop. (I'm partial to shops with a Hunter machine, but thats because im used to that 1)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Ketsair For This Useful Post:

Eggman (04-06-2024)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Camber bolt kit if you end up needing it, ours are 12mm
    https://a.co/d/95kvwDG

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I really appreciate the info, I may end up looking at the camber bolt kit down the line.

And I can definitely agree with people not knowing what they're doing as far as alignment goes. I crossed the front tires when changing out my brake pads and rotors this weekend and it fixed the pulling issue entirely. Time will tell if this is a proper fix or just patching the symptoms of a suspension issue, but regardless it feels like they didn't try to check anything and just wanted to upsell me. No alignment printout either. I will never be going to a firestone again.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,435 Times in 1,041 Posts
    I went to Firestone once. Once. That was 30 years or more ago. I was but just a wee ignorant lad back then, but even then I thought, "I'm never coming to Firestone again."

I said in another post something about the laser alignment machines are GREAT and all, but yet it still has to be used by someone who knows what they're doing. Even if the wheel attachment (I think they call them heads) are not put on Ed Zachery correct, and consistent from wheel to wheel, the finished alignment will not be quite right. Those systems are still user dependent. It took 3 shots at my local dealer to get my Lexus right, I finally got the right technician back there.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)