Thread: Worn out Steering Rack at 75,000miles?

Worn out Steering Rack at 75,000miles?

Once again, I got a request for a part that I've never ever seen wear out on these turds. There's a few Mirages in other locations too far for me to service them regularly so they're dealt with locally by whoever. Aparently there's a 2020 Mirage with 75,000miles that a shop intially claimed needed a tie rod, now days later says it needs a new rack and pinion. Get the lube ready... I have no idea what the car was doing before going into the shop, could have gone in for an oil change for all I know. I sent out a used rack from a car that had 100,000miles on it so I'll see how that works out. If felt tight. I had another one in the parts bin that had a sticky/notchy feeling at the straight ahead position, never noticed that before.

Anyways, I'm calling bs that a 4 year old car with 120,000km needs a new rack and pinion. I asked to have the old one sent back to me for science. Can't call bs on the shop cause that wouldn't be good for business. Basically gotta stfu I guess. This isn't the first time something like this has happened. I've sent out engine mounts and spark plug boots for these cars and got the old parts back with nothing wrong with them. I really hate that this happens, I can't imagine how much money people get screwed over for daily by shops that needlessly charge people for crap they don't need while playing the parts cannon diagnostics game. I get that some stuff is hard to diagnose but many problems are very likely fabricated out of thin air cause many people don't know that a 3 cylinder engine shakes at idle.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

foama (04-06-2024),Grumpy Bear (04-06-2024),inuvik (04-07-2024),Top_Fuel (04-05-2024)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,177 Times in 679 Posts
    I agree its most probably whipped bs that its supposed to be busted. Somebody wants to boost revenue.
    I've taken two apart researching the sticky steering problem. I loosened the crown nut all the way, turned it back in just with my fingertips until the spring below the nut starts pressing against the rack. From there on, it was turned 2/3 of a turn further in, and the nut locked securely with its ring. After that, the stickiness in the steering was almost gone. If it is too tight, steering is sticky because of the high friction. Too loose, and the steering rattles on uneven roads.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to foama For This Useful Post:

Grumpy Bear (04-06-2024),inuvik (04-07-2024)