Thread: My mirage is dead, I love my mirage.

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

My mirage is dead, I love my mirage.

I bought my 2014 mirage in 2017 really cheap from a family member. I loved everything about it, its bare utility and small size, perfect for the streets of Baltimore. It took me to California, Florida, Mexico, Canada. I drove it in the snow, on dirt roads, it never left me stuck anywhere. Recently the transmission failed at 110,000 miles, still technically drivable though. The cost to repair seems to be too high and I think I will probably buy a new one. I drove my mirage into the ground, I wish I had treated it better. I love it so much.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,828 Times in 2,133 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Andywarrensmith View Post
    Recently the transmission failed at 110,000 miles, still technically drivable though. The cost to repair seems to be too high and I think I will probably buy a new one.
    Hello Andywarrensmith and welcome to the forum.

Sorry to hear about your transmission problems. What about replacing it with a used transmission? There's a few around here that have reached over 350,000 miles on the odometer.

Let us know if you have questions, we'll do our best to help.

Again, welcome.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Business Up Front Johnny Mullet's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I would put another transmission in it and keep it maintained and go for it. Welcome to the site!

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    What do you mean it failed, but it is still drivable? Sounds to me like a serviceable issue

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2023 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.1 mpg (US) ... 18.7 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 52.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    I got a p0796 code on my last road trip. It’s still able to operate for a bit after starting up before not being able to accelerate/limp mode.

The comments here have given me a little confidence in trying to throw a used transmission in there.

Again, I love this car. (lurked the forum on and off over the years.)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Andywarrensmith For This Useful Post:

BigMW (04-21-2024)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Andywarrensmith View Post
    I got a p0796 code on my last road trip. It’s still able to operate for a bit after starting up before not being able to accelerate/limp mode.

The comments here have given me a little confidence in trying to throw a used transmission in there.

Again, I love this car. (lurked the forum on and off over the years.)
    IMO the option to have the transmission replaced is far a cheaper option than buying a brand new mirage that going for near $20,000.

You could hypothetically get another used mirage for less money but the prior owner history and condition are no different than any other used car there like the Corolla for example. Some folks just don’t want to buy other people problem which is fine by all means but then again $20k price tag.

Good luck!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2023 Mirage G4 SE 1.2 automatic: 43.0 mpg (US) ... 18.3 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.6 mpg (Imp)

Welcome!
    As already mentioned, I’d think about installing a used transmission too. Look on car-part.com. Any year will fit 2014-2021 for sure and there’s a good chance up to 2024 is the same as well. I’d look for the lowest mileage you can find(obviously) or at least under 30k miles. And have that minimum the cartridge filter replaced at the same time. Make sure fluid level is correct, they can be a pita to get it just right.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)