Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: oil leak?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    It could be burning it too. You could add an oil level check to your fuel refilling. Pull in, stop, poop the hood, fill the tank, pull the dipstick wipe it, insert and pull it again to see where it is. Have a couple quarts of your favorite brew with you to top it off.

I have taught this routine to my sons because they drive oil burners. The oldest 2 have Infiniti G35s, and youngest has a Mazda RX8.
    I agree with 7milesout. Altho, ive never pooped a hood, i think you could bank some serious $ from the National Enquirer.
    But an oil level check throughout the use of any car is a must. Maybe just once every few fuel fill ups, till you notice a loss.

Early detection is the key they say.

Also, PCVs are a common oil consumption culprit. But if that doesn't solve it, go buy yourself a leakdown tester & learn how to use it. Cheap & excellent diagnostic tool.

(Realistically a compression tester is only valuable for an initial build of an engine to calculate octane. After that, the leakdown test is the diagnostic tool)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,187 Times in 686 Posts
    Oil consumption becomes an issue if the the oil rings are caked up because the oil was not changed frequently enough, especially if it is not 100% fully synthetic and not of sufficient quality. Also common with the smaller sort of Toyota engines.
    The PCV valves on our cars are definitely not a source of elevated oil consumption. Idle will be messed up if they are clogged, but no influence on oil consumption. A PCV valve can be easily cleaned with fuel or brake cleaner. It will not clog if the correct oil was used. Checked mine and it was clean as a whistle at 140000km.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by foama View Post
    Oil consumption becomes an issue if the the oil rings are caked up because the oil was not changed frequently enough, especially if it is not 100% fully synthetic and not of sufficient quality. Also common with the smaller sort of Toyota engines.
    The PCV valves on our cars are definitely not a source of elevated oil consumption. Idle will be messed up if they are clogged, but no influence on oil consumption. A PCV valve can be easily cleaned with fuel or brake cleaner. It will not clog if the correct oil was used. Checked mine and it was clean as a whistle at 140000km.
    Might be missing the thought of the PCV stuck open scenario with hard driving. It will consume oil even on these little engines. Even our baby vacuum will pull enough mist thru to show a noticeable loss throughout an oilchange interval. I wouldn't say noticeable thruout fuel ups, but maybe after several.

Country
    Norway
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    My wife's car had a similar issue. Broken spring in the pcv valve, coupled with rock hard intake manifold gaskets. Oil down the front of the motor under the intake manifold. Throttle body was a mess. Unusual amount of oil in the intake manifold. My initial concern was excessive blow-by due to worn piston rings. Turns out it wasn't the case. As Foama stated, try removing the pcv valve and spray it with a solvent. Give it a bit of a shake back and forth after. You should hear what sounds like a little metal ball clicking back and forth inside. Be careful not to overtighten when reinstalling it.

Last edited by Kruz; 05-13-2024 at 11:34 PM.