Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: UR rear sway bar / stabilizer bar review

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I haven't gotten around to testing rolling resistance yet, but I did install an Ultra Racing rear anti-sway bar today. I bought it from Evan at NextGenTuning in Clearwater, Florida, USA. It took me an hour and 15 minutes to install, start to finish. This included unwrapping the bar, cleaning crud off the mounting areas of my car, installation and putting tools away/cleanup. The installation was simple. Most of the time involved was getting tools out, prepping the car and cleaning up. I followed gls2001's DIY steps and they were very helpful (thanks again).

Attachment 782

I'll post my impressions after I spend some time behind the wheel.

Thanks to Daox and Evan for putting together the group buy.

Attached Images Attached Images  

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 53.1 mpg (US) ... 22.6 km/L ... 4.4 L/100 km ... 63.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Cool stuff, I'm eager to hear more reviews on the sway bar.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Any impressions to share of your stabilizer bar now that it's been on for a while?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I am enjoying the sway bar. The improvements that I've noticed are:

1. I can maintain higher speeds on turns like clover leaf style entry/exit ramps on the freeway, as that creepy lean is gone.
    2. Steering is more responsive.
    3. My car maintains its position better when I am passed by trucks (I don't get blown around as much).

The car is just more fun to drive. Like the way it feels to ride your skinny-tired road bike after being on your mountain bike all winter.

I'd recommend it to anyone. It's an inexpensive upgrade, for all you get out of it.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 53.1 mpg (US) ... 22.6 km/L ... 4.4 L/100 km ... 63.8 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to fifteenwindow For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (04-01-2014)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Thanks for sharing the review with us!
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by fifteenwindow View Post

1. I can maintain higher speeds on turns like clover leaf style entry/exit ramps on the freeway, as that creepy lean is gone.
    So you're saying not only is it better to drive overall, it saves you gas too.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by fifteenwindow View Post

2. Steering is more responsive.
    3. My car maintains its position better when I am passed by trucks (I don't get blown around as much).

The car is just more fun to drive. Like the way it feels to ride your skinny-tired road bike after being on your mountain bike all winter.

I'd recommend it to anyone. It's an inexpensive upgrade, for all you get out of it.
    I noticed all of that as well. Nice to know that I'm not crazy for thinking that a sway bar also stabilizes my car against long-haul vehicles.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanks for the updates on the stabilizer bar ride performance. Sounds like it might be a worthy add-on, eh?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The first day my wife drove my mirage (stock, no sway bar), it was very windy. When she got home from work, she was unhappy with how much the car rocked back and forth in gusty crosswinds. She was ready to look for a used hybrid to buy. I told her about the Ultra Racing sway bar that Evan at NextGenTuning had for sale, and that took care of her worries. Then she bought a mirage for herself.

So we put an Ultra Racing sway bar on my wife's mirage, too. She's very happy with it, as it keeps her car steady in crosswinds, and the car keeps it's path when trucks are passing.

As I posted earlier, I'd recommend this bar to anyone with a mirage. It stabilizes the car, and makes it more fun to drive.

Thanks to Evan at NextGenTuning for working with us.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 2279
Size:  53.1 KB
    Last edited by fifteenwindow; 06-28-2014 at 11:59 AM. Reason: Add photo

11. The Following User Says Thank You to fifteenwindow For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (06-28-2014)

After driving the stock Mirage for a couple of weeks I wish I'd had the chance to compare to one with the rear bar.