Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What do you think about the Mirage / Space Star suspension and handling?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts

What do you think about the Mirage / Space Star suspension and handling?

A lot of car reviewers are saying they don't like it because its too soft (arguably because they're trying to take corners fast). What do you guys think of the stock suspension?

Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Worth mentioning that for Australia, the Mirage is fitted with an additional (front) anti-roll bar that isn't on the car in other markets. Supposedly this was in response to feedback from Aussie reviewers who had a chance to drive a Thai version of the car well before the Australian introduction.

One thing's for sure, lots of photos of the car show it leaning waaaaaaaaay over in hard cornering. (And that just makes you wonder: why are reviewers driving an entry-level eco-car so hard in the first place?)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

On this topic, from a review of the Malaysian market car, here: YouTube review: In Gear (Malaysia) - The New Mitsubishi Mirage

Now I would not say that this car is the final word in handling. Quite far from it! The spring setup is really, really, REALLY soft.
    And then he tries to demonstrate (poorly! ) by swerving the car from side to side to show how the camera moves around in the cabin. Didn't really show much at all.

So he continues the description...

I mean like seriously: this car wafts like it's a Rolls Royce.

If I was to get this car, apart from the sound insulation that I mentioned earlier, the other thing that I would probably do is to get different springs. [...] If it had stiffer springs then maybe, just maybe, this car would be able to give the legendary SUzuki Swift a run for its money.

If you prefer a more comfortable ride, then this car would be perfect because of the spring setup. But if you prefer to drive in a more spirited manner, then this car would probably be a bit too soft for you.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Malaysia
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    what i think of the suspension, its too soft
    specifically the spring itself is too soft
    u can't blame them because every OEM spring and absorber are tuned specifically for comfort
    thus the extra soft spring
    though its really comfortable inside but it has to sacrifice the body roll
    the handling in this car is great even with its soft spring, the downside of the soft spring is the body roll
    this body roll can be fixed by changing to harder spring but at the same time will have to sacrifice comfort

Country
    Australia
    Thanks
    It definitely has a LOT more body roll than my old 206, even with six year old springs on that. It pitches around pretty much like my outlander is definitely taking a lot of getting used to.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Mirage LS (Australia) 1.2 automatic: 34.8 mpg (US) ... 14.8 km/L ... 6.8 L/100 km ... 41.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    How does it feel over bumps? Personally I like a soft suspension. My favorite riding car was a Volvo 245 that was so soft it felt like a water bed and not even the worst potholes would jolt you.

Country
    Malaysia
    Thanks
    i'm not sure why
    but if u take the corner fast instead of slow, the body roll doesn't feel as obvious as compared as u take that corner slowly

Country
    Australia
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    How does it feel over bumps? Personally I like a soft suspension. My favorite riding car was a Volvo 245 that was so soft it felt like a water bed and not even the worst potholes would jolt you.
    Other than speed bumps (judder bars for the Kiwi's in here), I haven't really hit any holes in it and they were taken quite slowly.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Mirage LS (Australia) 1.2 automatic: 34.8 mpg (US) ... 14.8 km/L ... 6.8 L/100 km ... 41.8 mpg (Imp)

Name:  2012_Snowball_Rally_Citroen_2CV_Leaning_in_Corner_0_resize.jpg
Views: 2566
Size:  39.3 KB

I have read one reviewer compare the Mirage's soft-spring-handling to an old Citroen 2CV... but he meant it in a good way. The 2CV leans way over -- a Google Image search supports this! (Lots of pics of people cornering fast with the car practically scraping the door mirrors on the tarmac.) But this reviewer swore they are actually quite fun to drive spiritedly.

I admit I've never driven a softly sprung car that inspired confidence in its handling. But maybe the Mirage is different.

Or maybe it doesn't really matter, since sports car handling isn't the car's mission?

Country
    New Zealand
    Thanks
    I have found the ride to be pretty good for a small light car - cats eyes and bridge expansion joints are heard more than felt - certainly an improvement when compared to my MX5 or even Outlander. However cornering with a bit of pace can give a slight wallowing sensation if the road surface isn't smooth - otherwise you just accept a bit of lean and push on. I do wonder if a higher grade of damper may help? I'm the first to admit I'm no suspension expert.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Mirage GLS 1.2 automatic: 46.8 mpg (US) ... 19.9 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.2 mpg (Imp)