Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What do you think about the Mirage / Space Star suspension and handling?

The usual fix to reduce body roll while not completely sacrificing ride comfort is fitting an anti-roll / stabilizer bar(s).

In some markets, the Mirage has none. In others it has one up front, and in yet others it has both front & rear bars. I'm sure you've got the front bar - Australian cars have it. Cars that already have the bar can also be upgraded with a stiffer (larger diameter) bar.

EG: see Mirage aftermarket rear anti-roll/stabilizer/sway bar, chassis braces! Ultra Racing

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    It's actually rather fun to throw around in the corners because it's just so darn light. Sort of like the Citroen 2CV. The way I see it, it's fun despite the vague steering and soft suspension.

Having said that, I still prefer the handling of my '92 Charade. 90kg lighter, rear independent suspension, no power steering. That thing handles like a big go-kart!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2012 Mirage GLS 1.2 manual: 33.3 mpg (US) ... 14.1 km/L ... 7.1 L/100 km ... 40.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Philippines
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    My car came in with 165/65R14 mounted on 4.5J Rims. The rims are extremely too narrow, cornering is bad, I immediately replaced them with 6.0J x 14" alloy mags, same tires, inflated them with NO2 at 35 PSI, and cornering is much better indeed as technically predicted.

Next in line, I'm thinking of progressive rear stabilizer bar, then front & back tower strut bars to prevent suspension/body flexing as I usually pass (at relatively high speed) along rough roads. I'm just waiting for the right materials and performance reviews.
    Last edited by Gerami; 05-04-2013 at 12:33 AM.

Country
    Indonesia
    Thanks
    agreed in indonesian market it doesn't had any swaybar.... and the suspension is too soft... drive poorly on high speed more than 120kmh...... especialy on stock ecopia tire 165/65r14 until i put 205/40r17 dumper on the front oem spring and eibach on the rear hehe, now its far better both on highspeed and cornering

i prefer no swaybar setup, because its also gave independent move each wheel, so got more flex n comfort on rough and dirt road..... as typical on indonesian city road or traveling to rural area

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    i bumped my psi to 48 and it has made a significant improvement than the 35 it came with, there is less body roll and it seems to help with the feedback a little during higher speed cornering. however IMHO i love how smooth the car rides, all the speed bumps in this area are the "long and low" ones and the car seems to stop any rebound really quickly while transferring very little motion to the car.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 54.7 mpg (US) ... 23.3 km/L ... 4.3 L/100 km ... 65.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I am not an owner yet. However I did take a nice long test drive a few months ago and I thought the Mirage handled the potholes and bumps very well. Yes it leans some in turns, but it did not feel unsafe. I liked the way it felt and am looking forward to another test drive asap and one day owning one of these unique and cool little cars.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    It's certainly not the machine to have if you plan on performance cornering, but it's important to remember that we're dealing with a 74hp motor....how fast are we really going to be thrashing it through curves? Personally, I prefer the soft ride the current suspension gives. If they would have added sway bars that would have been great, but I like it just fine like it is and have no complaints. Plus, in my city, that hasn't seen a red light or a poorly repaired pothole they don't like, the soft suspension is a welcome relief.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I love the soft suspension ... like riding on a cloud over bumps and potholes!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Definitely needs stiffer dampeners at the very least, but I'll be upgrading both the springs and shocks when I can afford it.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 49.2 mpg (US) ... 20.9 km/L ... 4.8 L/100 km ... 59.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    I agree with the others. The suspension makes for a wonderful daily driver. It leans in corner, but really only if you're pushing it (which doesn't happen often in daily driving for the vast majority).

That being said, I'd love to see how a rear sway bar would tighten things up. I'd think the effect on the comfort would be very minimal while greatly reducing the roll.

Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:

kerc (09-15-2014)